Options

Best Tablet for a complete novice

mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
Forum Member
My mum (aged 75) has decided that she wants to march on into the 21st century and buy an ipad or tablet!! :o

She barely uses the internet and is a complete novice (as the subject matter says).

She wants it mainly to send emails and to store photos (which she would probably have to download from facebook or twitter - or I'd do it for her).

She doesn't want anything too big - just something she can carry around in her handbag and really wouldn't need it to be connected to 3G or 4G as she would most likely use it at home with her wi-fi - although she needs to be able to show pictures to her friends when she is out and about.

I was thinking about a Google Nexus 7 - but wondered if anybody could recommend anything in particular.

Comments

• Options
    ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Take her to Curry's/PC World to check out 7,8 and 10 inch tablets to find a size suitable for her, as she may need a larger screen than yourself.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For ease of use for someone who isn't that techie I would say an iPad is the way to go. Its interface is just simpler than Android, its configuration is less complex and its more secure.

Androids strength comes when you are more technical and confident in fiddling with settings and want to do more advanced things that iOS would lock you out of to protect the user
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    For ease of use for someone who isn't that techie I would say an iPad is the way to go. Its interface is just simpler than Android, its configuration is less complex and its more secure.

Androids strength comes when you are more technical and confident in fiddling with settings and want to do more advanced things that iOS would lock you out of to protect the user

I would have said this until recently when I got my 70 year dad an iPad 3. He has found it quite difficult to get on with and ended up going to apple store (bit of a trek for him) a few times for help. He recently tried a nexus 7 and to my surprise found it a lot easier. The only apps he has preferred the ipad for was facetime, on the nexus he found skype to be less easy to use. The deal breaker is that his neighbour has a nexus as well and has been help him when he needs help.

Basically, it boils down to the person. You really need to get them to try the devices out and make sure there is a support structure available for them.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »

I couldn't disagree more.

Android is just as easy to use as iOS, there is barely any need to drop into settings on either device. My mum (67) picked up Android in a few minutes. Skype calls, browsing, emailing family, emailing me recipes - all done without my intervention. I only helped her in choosing a device.