Options

How do you Like your Meat?

Comments

• Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can kind of understand why some people would be reluctant to try rare steak. There have been many 'scares' in the past regarding meat, be it e coli, salmonella, or other animal diseases. I guess as long as the meat comes from a reputable source, there is not much need for concern, but old habits die hard for most of us, and if we grew up thinking cooking something through and through was safest, it's difficult to move away from that. If someone were to tell me that chicken was okay to eat pink, I would still cook mine the way I do now; it would be many years before I could even contemplate eating it pink. I'm the same with pork.
  • Options
    nowahallanowahalla Posts: 10,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well hung :D and medium rare. Yum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyfriend eats his steak blue; I'm only just getting used to it being medium although it's safe to me it just doesn't seem cooked and puts me off.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    I like medium rare for 'red' meats, so often ask for rare in the UK and medium abroad to have a chance of getting something that (UK tends to go over, abroad tends to under). White meats are always well done - i know you can eat pork pink nowadays, but I don't like it.

With fish, I like rare tuna and scallops, everything else well done

But each to their own - as long as you like the end result, don't let anyone tell you you have cooked something incorrectly
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    What a load of crap. Anyone who says a well done steak is less chewy is either eating really rubbish steak or is just lying. A steak will be much juicier and more tender the less it's cooked. A good rare steak shouldn't even need a steak knife.

As for the last bit, once again, what a load of crap. I've eaten lots of stuff completely raw and never had food poisoning once. Sashimi, carpaccio, steak tartare etc are fantastic.

Also, as others have said, meat doesn't contain blood.

Whoa, easy there Tiger! Let me explain, I'm a student, and I'm not a food snob. I very rarely (no pun intended) buy steak, and when I do it won't be to the same quality as you might find from a more high-end source. It's all down to subjective tastes.

As for the second bit, you're right (of course), but when I was younger I remember having a nasty bout of food poisoning after eating undercooked spag bol. It's personal associations that may seem trivial and irrational, but that's why I like ensuring meat is well-cooked.

Now if it's the wrong time of the month for you, I fully understand that. You may need to increase your iron intake after all ;-)
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    Whoa, easy there Tiger! Let me explain, I'm a student, and I'm not a food snob. I very rarely (no pun intended) buy steak, and when I do it won't be to the same quality as you might find from a more high-end source. It's all down to subjective tastes.

As for the second bit, you're right (of course), but when I was younger I remember having a nasty bout of food poisoning after eating undercooked spag bol. It's personal associations that may seem trivial and irrational, but that's why I like ensuring meat is well-cooked.

Now if it's the wrong time of the month for you, I fully understand that. You may need to increase your iron intake after all ;-)

Haha, I wasn't having a go, no need for the "easy there", I was just pointing out that your post was factually incorrect.

Spaghetti Bolognese is a completely different thing though. Obviously it's mince so should always be cooked through. The only real exceptions for mince are if it's burgers from freshly made mince or steak tartare using mince rather than finely chopped steak.
  • Options
    station31station31 Posts: 3,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents god bless em, are awful at steak, you need a chainsaw to get through it, its on for like an hour
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ideally with two veg.

Also hung like a horse.

Only joking - well-done, really - just not burnt to a crisp lmao.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicely marbled Sirloin, medium to well well done.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer it with no meat in it.
  • Options
    WickedkittenWickedkitten Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Depends on the cut really. If it's a sirloin then I'll have it blue, but for something like ribeye then I'll have it rare.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I prefer it with no meat in it.
    So why click on a thread asking about meat?
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So rare a vet could get it back on it's feet
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, back in the day at the Beefeater it was prawn cocktail, a well done steak with chips and peas (and a sharp steak knife), Black Forest Gateau with a nice Blue Nun - red wine, yuk!
    How we loved it.
    Fast forward several decades and the steak has to be rare with a Shiraz.
    (If I'm just quaffing it has to be a dry white).

In the same vein, I was always a Madras or Vindaloo man.
    Now the restaurants are more sophisticated I ask the owner/staff to recommend a dish that will actually please my palate rather then give it a kicking.
  • Options
    Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done. For no reason other than I just prefer the taste of it well done to any other way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a general rule, the more work the piece of meat did when the animal was alive, the tougher, but tastier, it will be.

Fillet steak is tender, but may not be that tasty.

Rump is often tastier, but can be chewier.

A well-done steak is likely to be chewier than a rare steak.

There are two lines of thought on cooking steaks - the most popular is to sear it on a very hot grill/pan to create flavour on the outside. The downside of that method is that the fibres in the steak will tighten, and so moisture will be squeezed out of the steak (as if squeezing a wet sponge).

If left to stand after cooking the fibres will loosen again, but with the juices gone it may be dry. One way over that is to deglaze the pan with a little water, or wine, adding some butter and pepper, followed by pouring over the steak.

Method B (less popular way) is to cook the steak gently on a medium heat with the aim of preserving the juices within the steak.

Having a pool of blood on the plate with a rare steak is disgusting, but is easily avoided by letting the steak stand on a rack covered with foil for the same length of time it took to cook. Personally I like pink, not bloody.

During cooking the juices in the steak will have been pushed to the outer surfaces by the squeeze effect (you can see this when flipping a steak over during cooking - juices [blood and fats] will flow to the surface. When left to stand excess blood will drain, and reabsorbtion will take place as the steak relaxes and the fibres loosen – essentially, the juices in the steak are redistributed throughout the meat fibres.

The thinner the steak, the narrower the window for getting it just right.

If beef is to be eaten raw it needs to be very fresh – which can be an issue with supermarket packed meats.

I always make sure pork is cooked through - personally, I don't like pink pork.

Chicken should never be pink; lamb is good pink, but I don't like it bloody.
  • Options
    Paul_RowlandsPaul_Rowlands Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    it has to be rare for me
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    My steak is always well done. If there's even the faintest sign of pink, I send it back.

The idea of eating uncooked animal flesh is disgusting.

When it comes to eating, cooked meat is one of the few things that separates enlightened humans from savage animals. The fact uncooked meat can make people ill in my books is nature's way of telling us that it's wrong. It's fine for animals because they have the digestive system for it. Rare steak is taking it to the brink of what's safe, which in my books is gross. It's like wanting to eat worms and bugs for pleasure. It's safe but it doesn't happen much (in this country anyway) because it's disgusting.

Thankfully, years of civilised humans eating cooked food has weakened the digestive system enough so that food has to be cooked. I'll bet though people would eat raw chicken, raw pork and raw turkey if the stomach allowed. Having to say that at every restaurant and barbecue would be a pain "chicken please, well done".

I just can't relate to people who like rare or medium steaks. I suspect there's a wild animal in them that subconsciously wants to hunt animals and eat the raw, beating heart and to some extent, that's perfectly fine.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    My steak is always well done. If there's even the faintest sign of pink, I send it back.

When it comes to eating, cooked meat is one of the few things that separates enlightened humans from savage animals. The fact uncooked meat can make people ill in my books is nature's way of telling us that it's wrong. It's fine for animals because they have the digestive system for it. Rare steak is taking it to the brink of what's safe, which in my books is gross. It's like wanting to eat worms and bugs for pleasure. It's safe but it doesn't happen much (in this country anyway) because it's disgusting.

Thankfully, years of civilised humans eating cooked food has weakened the digestive system enough so that food has to be cooked. I'll bet though people would eat raw chicken, raw pork and raw turkey if the stomach allowed. Having to say that at every restaurant and barbecue would be a pain "chicken please, well done".

I just can't relate to people who like rare or medium steaks. I suspect there's a wild animal in them that subconsciously wants to hunt animals and eat the raw, beating heart and to some extent, that's perfectly fine.

I eat it because I find it tasty, not because I wish to eat a raw beating heart. What a hilarious post! :D:D:D
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member

Are you for real?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    Of course I'm referring to how well you like you steak cooked. My preference is well done, because it's less chewy and it puts my mind at ease that I'm not going to get food poisoning from what is effectively raw meat. I always assumed the majority of people also like theirs well done, but now I reckon I'm in the minority.

I would add a poll but don't know how, so would you opt for your beef rare / medium / well done / vegetarian / other?

Surely its more chewy when its well done
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is quite possibly one of the weirdest things I've ever read. How is it taking it to the brink of what's safe when you can eat completely raw beef? Carpaccio is lovely and I love my steak rare because it tastes better and is more tender and juicy. I can't say I've ever wanted to eat a beating heart though, how strange.

You can eat pork pink too.

There's nothing really wrong with eating bugs and worms either, just because our culture doesn't do it doesn't mean it's wrong. What makes us right and other cultures wrong. Meat is meat at the end of the day be it cow, pig, dog, horse, prawns or beetles. When you look at them a prawn isn't that much different to an insect.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    This is quite possibly one of the weirdest things I've ever read. How is it taking it to the brink of what's safe when you can eat completely raw beef? Carpaccio is lovely and I love my steak rare because it tastes better and is more tender and juicy. I can't say I've ever wanted to eat a beating heart though, how strange.

You can eat pork pink too.

There's nothing really wrong with eating bugs and worms either, just because our culture doesn't do it doesn't mean it's wrong. What makes us right and other cultures wrong. Meat is meat at the end of the day be it cow, pig, dog, horse, prawns or beetles. When you look at them a prawn isn't that much different to an insect.

They are either trolling or a lunatic. I'm not sure which.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When it comes to eating, cooked meat is one of the few things that separates enlightened humans from savage animals.

"Breed and raise the animal for the sole purpose of being butchered and eaten by me but make sure you cook it the way I like to eat it or you're no more than a savage animal that wants to eat a raw, beating heart."
    Twit!
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Judging from your post, I think you have your own issues you should sort out first, before you attempt to try and psychoanalyse other people.