Options

Brendan Brady (Emmett J. Scanlan) Fan Thread! (Part 194)

Comments

• Options
    FrancyFrancy Posts: 10,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iclabon wrote: »
    I just found Simon to be more or less a device, really. And I agree about the triangle. With how they handled it, Kieren was a terrible friend to her, and it's that friendship that was one of the best things about the whole show. I can't be bothered about a 3rd season.

I think he made the best of it though, with networking Alice and I think he made a good friend in Kevin Sutton.

Kieren didn't behave like a good friend, but Amy is so good that she didn't hold a grudge. And she's better off with Philip anyway!!! :kitty:

If there's a third season they will certainly bring Amy back, and I hope they work on Kieren redeeming himself to her (and to us)! :)

And we will have to agree to disagree on Simon, I think he is a deep character! :)
  • Options
    Ready Steady GoReady Steady Go Posts: 39,592
    Forum Member
    He'd signed on for the Simon role blind, only based on the writing for the first series, and didn't know anything about the character or what the storyline was until they were handed each script.
    And so whether Dominic had a series 'bible' or not and just changed things later, somehow the series ended rather sloppy and inconsistent, and the role was underwhelming and overhyped.

But apparently that's not a legitimate view. I just wasn't a fan ;)

Based on what evidence? :confused:

You're making out that Emmett was held against his will and cried every night at having to play Simon :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doesn't excuse it, Francy :kitty:. I've ended close friendships for stuff like that.

And based on the evidence he gave us, Ready. He'd said exactly that!

And don't misread me, please. Do I think a gun was held to his head? Of course not. He's a bloody professional.
    But do I think he ended up feeling it was the best thing he's ever done? I don't see how. I wouldn't say so. I'm sure he was expecting more. And different.
    He did make some good contacts and good friends though. And I'm sure he had fun with the treatment center stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doesn't excuse it, Francy :kitty:. I've ended close friendships for stuff like that.

It's not up to me or you whether Amy should forgive Ren or not... as the wronged part, it's entirely up to Amy! Whatever she decides (yeah, I know she's ot real) is fine by me! :)

And I've only seen Emmett speak very well of ITF, and promote it like crazy!! He actually seemed very proud of being part of the project, but maybe I don't have all the information. Still, I don't see how you can know what goes on in Emmett's mind... :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigh.

I'll just be crazy all by myself over in this corner over.... here :kitty:.

May as well make an early start and get my ass up now anyway. There was a half-day yesterday at the school and a ton of students opted to skip, so it's going to be a rather grueling day trying to get back on schedule.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    Interesting to hear the differing views on ITF.

Reading between the lines, which is all we can do, Emmett surely must have had a good feeling to take the job, IIRC at the time he had turned down some roles that he was not that keen on, just as he did in the tweet yesterday.

As an actor you can take any job that comes along just for the income, or can pick and choose and take roles that really interest the actor and feel they can really get into and enjoy the character ...... it must be easier for Embo because he's so talented and has several offers that he feels he can turn down. ;-)

As ITF goes I really enjoyed the second series. I remember watching the first episode of the first series, it was one of those episodes where I caught the start and couldn't stop watchng as it drew me in, however somehow I never caught the rest of that series. (being on BBC Three doesn't help)

I can see why Emmett was drawn to the show when he took the role just by watching the first episode. He obviously can see a great deal of talent in the writing, and as an actor if you don't need, or want, to change any of the lines then it must be a good sign.

It's interesting to see the path his career is going, he's busy, everybody who he works with likes his personality and generosityof spirit. He gives his all to his craft and is totally dedicated, including building up that beautiful body of his.:kitty:

Every actor has to publicise their work and the job they have done in a positive light, with Emmet though I do think it comes from the heart most of the time and he really does say it how he feels.

Apologies for the long post. :blush:
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    Maintaining thread morale is a lot of responsibility for one little cat.:kitty:

If only she realised!! Pancake is such a cutie.

I'm sure she's wondering where Pushka has gone.:(
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry Iclabon but you're talking rubbish in regards to Emmett. I know you didn't like ITF or Simon, for whatever reasons, but I think for most people he was a big, interesting and important character whether one liked the relationship with Kieren or not. Episode 5 alone was worth the hype.

Emmett loved working on the show and rightly so. Why wouldn't he? He had a juicy role, great reviews, great feedback, a good working relationship with the crew - Dom included.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well said, Francy, Stunty and Mojo!

Hmmm. I wonder if this is anything to do with Kieron's tweet to James last week about seeing him today (ew.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well said, Francy, Stunty and Mojo!

Hmmm. I wonder if this is anything to do with Kieron's tweet to James last week about seeing him today (ew.)

Are they about to do something silly? :p There's a jokey tone!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    Are they about to do something silly? :p There's a jokey tone!

Maybe he's getting his kit off :cool:
  • Options
    Daphne GDaphne G Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Francy wrote: »
    Kieren didn't behave like a good friend, but Amy is so good that she didn't hold a grudge. And she's better off with Philip anyway!!! :kitty:

I love Philip/Amy! They work really well together. I was afraid that they would make Philip a "nice guy", but I thought their relationship was handled really well. I really enjoyed the fourth episode when he publicly stood up for the PDS sex workers and when he confessed his feelings for Amy. I think part of the reason why Amy didn't hold a grudge was because she realized that her romantic feelings towards Simon weren't "real". It was only a crush. Kieren is her best friend, so I think she wanted him to be happy.

Obviously, I love Simon! I think he's a fascinating character, and the fifth episode was brilliant. I want there to be a S3, so that we can find out more about him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly need to just remember what thread this is. Or more accurately, the people in here. Any opinion that isn't - hmmm, let me just stop there with that.

I was only trying to speak as someone who's watched him play such a leading character for years before Simon. So on top of it not being a touch on the 1st series in quality IMO, Simon just felt like a real step down.
    Even with the fifth episode, uhh, I wasn't going to be nearly as affected after he had better material with the Seamus months on Hollyoaks. And so what he got to wear a spine prosthetic on his back - he chopped up a body in Later.

Think what you want about me. I'm just really tired of being accused of having an opinion because I'm bitter. I'm over it.
  • Options
    Daphne GDaphne G Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iclabon, I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think anyone was saying that you couldn't have a different opinion or that you weren't allowed to dislike In The Flesh. I feel like people were starting to get a little uncomfortable because it felt like you were putting words into Emmett's mouth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Daphne G wrote: »
    Iclabon, I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think anyone was saying that you couldn't have a different opinion or that you weren't allowed to dislike In The Flesh. I feel like people were starting to get a little uncomfortable because it felt like you were putting words into Emmett's mouth.

Exactly. I don't care that you don't like it. But it sounded like you had access to Emmett's brain and you know for certain that he doesn't like the show.
  • Options
    BcUhTrTyEeRdCUPBcUhTrTyEeRdCUP Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just popping in to say
    Kia Ora!
    Kei te pēhea koe?
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly need to just remember what thread this is. Or more accurately, the people in here. Any opinion that isn't - hmmm, let me just stop there with that.

I was only trying to speak as someone who's watched him play such a leading character for years before Simon. So on top of it not being a touch on the 1st series in quality IMO, Simon just felt like a real step down.
    Even with the fifth episode, uhh, I wasn't going to be nearly as affected after he had better material with the Seamus months on Hollyoaks. And so what he got to wear a spine prosthetic on his back - he chopped up a body in Later.

Think what you want about me. I'm just really tired of being accused of having an opinion because I'm bitter. I'm over it.

Whatever dynamics have been going on in this thread, I don't know, cos I have not been a regular.... I have been oblivious to everything HO and Digital Spy for the better part of 2-3 years. So, personally I was just having a conversation (that I have never had before), nothing more than that! :confused:
  • Options
    ardluckardluck Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Just popping in to say
    Kia Ora!
    Kei te pēhea koe?

Buttercup!!! How are you? :kitty:

Afternoon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ardluck wrote: »
    Buttercup!!! How are you? :kitty:

Afternoon.

I am very well thank you!
    You?
  • Options
    ardluckardluck Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I am very well thank you!
    You?

Hot!! We're having a mini heat wave in the UK. :)

Are you still as busy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Daphne G wrote: »

This is exactly it. I'm fine with you having an opinion Iclabon - I said I appreciated you didn't enjoy it - but this is an appreciation thread I'm not sure why you're surprised I'm defending the role/him.

Of course you're/we're not going to feel the same about Brendan and Simon. For starters we all had years to fall in love with Brendan - you can't be affected in the same way, to the same degree. We're never going to have that again. Nothing will replace that Brendan love and he may never have a role as iconic. I don't love Simon anywhere near as much but I only had 6 episodes of him. I never said I do but I'm not going to sit there and tick off the reasons Brendan was better. What's the point?

But Simon wasn't a step down. There isn't a single soap actor who has suddenly become the star of a new show. You have to be realistic about it. Holby would be a step down but probably the third most important character in a BAFTA winning show loved by critics (compared to the mockery HO gets) is nothing but a good thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ardluck wrote: »
    Hot!! We're having a mini heat wave in the UK. :)

Are you still as busy?

No its pretty quite down at work
    any way I am off:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening. :kitty:
  • Options
    GoingtothebeachGoingtothebeach Posts: 19,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭