Options

Tattoo removal on the increase

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just been reading that there is a big increase in people choosing to have their tattoos removed for various reasons. Apparently a lot of women had them done when they were maybe 18 or so and now they want to be seen as upwardly mobile middle class Mums and their inkings do not suit their their new status.

It costs a fortune and few get it done on the NHS. It's also very painful.

Other people want names of old partners removed or tattoos that look just plain old fashioned. This is the bit I never get ..... Once you are tattooed it dates immediately. It's like mullets, blue eye shadow, crocs and stirrup pants!! :D

Comments

• Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cousin does tattoo laser removals. She is very busy, the majority of her clients are getting their existing tattoos faded to make way for bigger and more elaborate cover ups.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so are the former tattooists now all re training as laser removers ? something odd going on here .....
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Regarding the partners name tattooed, i dont know why people still do that!

My ohs parents had each others names tattooed on when they were young and then they split up a few years later. His mum was fine though as they named their son after his dad. Now his dad has his ex wifes name tattooed on his arm but his mum just has her childrens names :D

A bloke my parents knew from the pub always had his latest gf name tattooed on his arm then when they split he would have it crossed out (but still visible). Why on earth anyone would be attracted to a man like that i have no idea!

Personally i wouldnt have one. When i was 18 i really wanted one so went in a tattoo shop but luckily they said they were so full they werent even making appointments and taking deposits until at least a few months time.

I went home and drew the design onto myself with those temporary tattoo kits you can get so i could see what it would look like. I kept touching it up when it faded but after about 2 weeks the novelty wore off and i got bored of it. Now i look back at the design and cringe at how cheesy it was! Im so glad i didnt get it done as i would regret it already.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having a tattoo is far more widespread than it was even 15 years ago, so it stands to reason that tattoo removal numbers would rise too. There are simply more people who have them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Having a tattoo is far more widespread than it was even 15 years ago, so it stands to reason that tattoo removal numbers would rise too. There are simply more people who have them.

And regret them?
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    My cousin does tattoo laser removals. She is very busy, the majority of her clients are getting their existing tattoos faded to make way for bigger and more elaborate cover ups.

That's why my step-dad is getting some of his removed. He's run out of space on his body so he's getting some of the 30/35 year old ones removed to make space for the new ones that he wants.
  • Options
    Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking at tattoo removal a while ago, I didnt really think it was that expensive tbh? There was a few small places near me that did for £30-£40 a session - I guess it depends on the size of the tat. Mines quite small so I dont think it would have cost me too much.

Who on earth would try to get it done on NHS?! Im not really sure how someone could justify that.... :confused:
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I'm not surprised really. I had some done over 20 years ago and I really regret them now. Simply because they don't look like they did when I first had them done. They've faded and look quite shit now. If I had my time again, I wouldn't get them done. A friend of mine got her husbands name tattooed on her wrist while in Greece. The tattooist ballsed it right up spelling the 3 letter name wrong and it just looks like a black swirl of letters. In years to come it will look even worse.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say a lot are having them removed for the same reason as jarryhack. There was a real upsurge in tattoos in the '90s - especially amongst women. Those tatts are going to be looking pretty tired now regardless of whether the owner still likes them.
    Must say the blotchy faded to green only tattoos on some of the old boys I used to see out and about when a child always put me off having any done.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I used to want one when I was a teenager and into Heavy Metal and Rock but I always chickened out (being scared of needles has a plus side I suppose). I am glad I didn't because I know I would have regretted it the moment I would have had to wear a nice dress to something and I would have got bored with that oh so original(because I thought it would look good to have a question mark) inking after a while.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was bound to happen. All the protestations of 'My choice and I know I'll always love it and it's part of me' in the world doesn't stop some tattoos being outgrown, fading and looking shit, or the tattoos just being awful mistakes.

I feel sorry for people who hate their tattoos, and glad that they can get it sorted out, at least to some degree - from what I've seen, they never completely go, which is why coverups are so popular.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate tattoos. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for people who hate their tattoos, and glad that they can get it sorted out, at least to some degree - from what I've seen, they never completely go, which is why coverups are so popular.

From what her clients are telling my cousin, for the most part, their cover ups are not about hating or regretting existing tattoos. More about having the opportunity to go bigger and better.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisa.J wrote: »
    Who on earth would try to get it done on NHS?! Im not really sure how someone could justify that.... :confused:

Agreed. It certainly shouldn't be done on the NHS.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter is nearly 14 and said just the other day that she wants to get a tattoo when she's 18. Oh dear. The best I can do is suggest she get something small and easily covered up, if she's really set on it, once she turns of age I can't prevent her from doing it. I hope she grows out of it. No one in our family has tattoos, I guess she sees celebs with them and thinks they look cool. I'm not dissing anyone with tattoos, just saying the influence didn't come from home but then with teens that's the way it goes.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    I had my first tattoo done at 23 I think. I spent so much time working up the courage to get one done id already spent years thinking about what I wanted done when I actually did get one done. I now have six. I live them all and they are a part of me. There's just this one on my arm that is a work in progress that is gonna have stuff added to it. Planning a big piece for the top of my back ATM.
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    True story, I had a friend a few years ago get a tattoo of a rose and the name "Roxanne McKee" below the rose, all because he met her at a book signing!

I'm sure you know who she is, he was obsessed with her, the tattooist even asked if he was sure he wanted it.

I don't really see him much these days, but would hate to think what any potential girlfriend would think of his tattoo!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter is nearly 14 and said just the other day that she wants to get a tattoo when she's 18. Oh dear. The best I can do is suggest she get something small and easily covered up, if she's really set on it, once she turns of age I can't prevent her from doing it. I hope she grows out of it. No one in our family has tattoos, I guess she sees celebs with them and thinks they look cool. I'm not dissing anyone with tattoos, just saying the influence didn't come from home but then with teens that's the way it goes.

That's how it all starts! I have relatives whose 2 adults daughters are covered in tattoos. Their first ones were described by their parents (who hated tattooes) as "discreet and small". They added to them over the years and have them all over their arms and legs. Sailors, busty women, anchors, cherries, cats, birds, doodles ... They are hideous.

My own niece has the name of each of her 2 kids on the insides of her wrists and they look terrible. Is she scared she will forget her kids names?
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,959
    Forum Member
    Only going to get worse once all the tattoos about now start fading into nothingness and people realised they have scarred themselves for life.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Some people just don't understand tattoos and the reason people get them. Then again it's not something for you to understand really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what her clients are telling my cousin, for the most part, their cover ups are not about hating or regretting existing tattoos. More about having the opportunity to go bigger and better.

Oh I think we all know that a lot of cover ups are because of horrible tattoos.

And trying to get rid of them altogether speaks for itself.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    My grandad had loads of tattoos when he was in the army and had those common symbol things like the anchor, dice, pin up women etc also some writing.

I only knew him as an old man and the black had gone green and all of them had bled, or expanded, so letters like a, the circle bit had filled in. What i imagine were neat thin lines were now significantly wider and blurrier.

Do tattoos nowadays do this? I always thought maybe back then the ink wasnt as good so changed colour over time. I also thought the equipment may be better nowadays to prevent the bleeding of the ink.

Or will everyone look like this?

Sometimes the small discreet ones look worse. My mum has some large tattoos that look good, but she has a small one on her ankle which is mainly red so from a distance looks like a scab. My sister also has a small black heart on her wrist which at a quick glance looks like a birthmark. At least with bigger tattoos you know what they are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I think we all know that a lot of cover ups are because of horrible tattoos.

I think the people doing the lasering know a bit more about the reasons than you. Although you seem to have made up your mind anyway.
    And trying to get rid of them altogether speaks for itself.

Of all the people having laser treatment, the number of people trying to get rid of them altogether is very low compared to those who are having them faded in order to get more tattoos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the people doing the lasering know a bit more about the reasons than you. Although you seem to have made up your mind anyway.

Of all the people having laser treatment, the number of people trying to get rid of them altogether is very low compared to those who are having them faded in order to get more tattoos.

Silly buggers, take that one off, put a bigger one on (skin's ruined anyway) do it all again in another five years.

Almost masochistic.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

Mine has all but completely gone. It took nearly 18 months though and 11 sessions at £70 a go. Depends on the tattoo to be honest how successful the laser treatment will be.