Options

Why do the majority of car users jump red lights?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I've been on buses where the bus driver has often done this!

I have seen two bus drivers do it this year.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    On Sunday night a driver behind me actually drove around me to get through the lights whilst I was stopping (single carriageway road) He passed them on red, but it's not something I see very often.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a collection of motorists jumping lights:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgN5BhAs4I8
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Sunday night a driver behind me actually drove around me to get through the lights whilst I was stopping (single carriageway road) He passed them on red, but it's not something I see very often.

yes I've had this a few times also. It's certainly worse than normal.

Perhaps it's time we had more cameras at junctions watching out for this. I'm glad it's just not me who's noticing the awful driving of many drivers.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see a lot of people jumping lights or failing to stop, but I have been forced through myself twice in the past year. On both occasions I was being closely tailgated, and didn't feel like I would be able to stop safely as the following car was so close and fast. On another occasion, a car blared it's horn at me and swerved around me into the lane going right when I slowed for an amber.

To be honest, I feel worse about these drivers than amber gamblers!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you feel its unsafe to stop to abruptly as lights change its fine to go through,

throughout time this has translated into amber means floor it
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a pedestrian I've yet to see for myself a car go through a red light. On the other hand, I see cyclists do it on an almost daily basis.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I'd say at least a couple of cars fail to stop at every set of lights.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Considering that in my experience most road users don't know what an Amber light means, I'm not surprised.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Somner wrote: »
    Considering that in my experience most road users don't know what an Amber light means, I'm not surprised.
    I can identify with that. Jeez, the number of times I've been told, "Whatcha stop for? You could've got through there.....
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit like the old joke, a driver kept jumping the red and when asked why by his passenger, he said , my brother always does that, when he came to a green light he stopped, the passenger asked why he stopped at a green and the driver replied, my brother might be coming the other way.:D
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumping lights, no. However I've noticed increasing numbers of people running a red light - ie;going through on amber and getting caught out. It's particularly common on the roundabout over the M40 at Banbury. I think people are coming off the motorway and haven't calmed down yet so they take a (rather fast) risk with the lights. Either that or they haven't seen them (scary if true) and think it's just a normal roundabout.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    A few do it, but not the majority.
    And usually when they actually go over the line the light is still amber and they know there's a time delay before the lights go green for oncoming traffic.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be an amber gambler.
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    I can identify with that. Jeez, the number of times I've been told, "Whatcha stop for? You could've got through there.....

Ive seen it happen before and causing a smash up! :eek:
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm commited I'll go through an amber, but never red.

I think that's most of us.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    I've not noticed this trend, not as a common thing people do anyway.
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    It's not something I've noticed to be honest. It's certainly not something which can be said about the majority of drivers.
    I see it all of the time. Sometimes the lights have changed to green in the other direction and then some wag just whizzes across totally oblivious
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    The problem is that there is a point where there is some uncertainty about whether it is safe to stop when the light changes from green to amber.

A number of times I have been caught in this point and if I try to stop I often find that it would have been safer to have continued (especially in wet weather).

So when I am caught in this position unless I am sure that I can stop safely in time. I push down on the accelerator and get through the traffic lights as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In North London where we live it is in fact quite uncommon to see cars go through red lights but going through on amber is very common. Maybe they jump red lights when I'm not around!!!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    So when I am caught in this position unless I am sure that I can stop safely in time. I push down on the accelerator and get through the traffic lights as quickly as possible.
    You should never accelerate toward or into a hazard - that's a major safety violation.

I have never been in a position at a junction where coming to a halt is not an option and nor should you. You shouldn't go through traffic lights at full speed no matter what state they are in. It's a road junction and you should proceed through at reduced speed. Green doesn't mean 'you should go'. It means 'you can go if it's clear'. If the vehicle behind is too close then ease off. It's probably the one situation where slowing down for a tailgater is a good idea.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think driving has become worse. People are more inpatient and aggressive.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often see this sort of thing. Happened to me last night on the way home a car jumped the lights and nearly hit me.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    I'm glad it's just not me who's noticing the awful driving of many drivers.
    Classic!
    Most posters have disagreed completely but the one or two that concur "prove your point."
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Classic!
    Most posters have disagreed completely but the one or two that concur "prove your point."

most posters. You're having a giraffe. You'll find most well adjusted people realise there are a lot of drivers racing through amber and red lights like maniacs. Perhaps it's time the police started to crack down on irresponsible drivers causing death and karnage on the roads.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    yes I've had this a few times also. It's certainly worse than normal.

Perhaps it's time we had more cameras at junctions watching out for this. I'm glad it's just not me who's noticing the awful driving of many drivers.

Yes, traffic signal cameras are quite rare, certainly in comparison to speed cameras. I can only think of about 2 of them within a 20 mile radius of where I live, where as there are loads of speed cameras. If so many people are jumping red lights as the OP suggests, then putting more in could be a cash cow.