Paedophile ring preys on 50 school girls in West Yorkshire.

Comments

• Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lesson that you should not ignore girls claims because "their just slags putting it around" ?

The lessons that the alleged abusers heritage should not be taken into account when investigating abuse?

If lessons have been learnt tell me
    1) What lesson
    2) The position of the person who needed them.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    If I hear one more official or politician in the media say "lessons will be learned" I think I will vomit, it's become no more than a meaningless buck-passing platitude and it appears in every damn official report into anything that officialdom's ever done wrong. Yet the wrong-doings don't stop, so either lessons are not being learned or they are learning the wrong subjects!

The worst example to date has been the BBC TV interview with the The Police and Crime Commissioner for South Yorkshire, Shaun Wright, who was the councillor in charge of children's services at Rotherham Council from 2005 to 2010. But he's been using it, incessantly, with a twist: "Lessons have been learned" says he in a smug "you can't touch me!" manner.

Yes, I really think I'll vomit.

Just how I feel!! This whole story is so sick and unfair that I can't even find the words to say how I feel. That's saying something for me!>:(
  • tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    See the Mail is using the rape of children to attack the BBC

What, in the same way you are now using the rape of children to attack the Daily Mail ? :confused:
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    The lesson that you should not ignore girls claims because "their just slags putting it around" ?

The lessons that the alleged abusers heritage should not be taken into account when investigating abuse?

If lessons have been learnt tell me
    1) What lesson
    2) The position of the person who needed them.

I think there were similar claims with regards to the Rochdale case. Girls being ignored because they were from council estates or being told they'd made their own lifestyle choices.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2526896/Revealed-Catalogue-police-failures-let-Rochdale-sex-grooming-gangs-flourish-claims-damning-police-report.html
  • ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    If I hear one more official or politician in the media say "lessons will be learned" I think I will vomit, it's become no more than a meaningless buck-passing platitude and it appears in every damn official report into anything that officialdom's ever done wrong. Yet the wrong-doings don't stop, so either lessons are not being learned or they are learning the wrong subjects!

The worst example to date has been the BBC TV interview with the The Police and Crime Commissioner for South Yorkshire, Shaun Wright, who was the councillor in charge of children's services at Rotherham Council from 2005 to 2010. But he's been using it, incessantly, with a twist: "Lessons have been learned" says he in a smug "you can't touch me!" manner.

Yes, I really think I'll vomit.

Similar to politicians in that while all the talk is about society and social structures and public attitudes and so on, the real concern is with their own positions.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D_Peugeot wrote: »
    I think it's a load of shite that that people are genuinely convinced that others have been reluctant to do anything for fear of being labelled a racist. It's a weak and pathetic excuse.

Are you seriously trying tp tell me that being called a racist is so bad that people will turn a blind eye to child abuse?

Apparently many of the child protection team were scared of being labelled racists. This man is related to one of the offenders who was caught.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-23820054
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would disagree, remember in some cultures it's considered acceptable for a man to marry a child of 11 or 12.

That just means it's legally sanctioned in those societies, whereas in others it's hidden away.
    Making something illegal doesn't actually stop it happening, unless there's a con erted effort to find and punish the offenders.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lessons will be learned.

Fuc* off - I have just started a thread on this despicable phrase always used to cover totally incompetent people's arses.

Some posts on here are amazing - if ostriches really did stick their heads in the sand they would be in bloody good company here.
  • Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    It's happening everywhere, similar case here in Derby last year.

There was a case of a Bangladeshi child sex ring in Cumbria a while ago. They said it may have links to the Yorkshire one, I wouldn't be surprised. It would suggest it's less about being Pakistani, and more about a wider cultural problem.

I would include the western culture of avoiding contentious issues and not protecting children in the cultural problem, I mean what the hell do we pay the police and protective services for if they never even listen to the victims complaints?

I heard a guy on the radio today condemning 'society' for failing these children and young people, that annoyed me a fair bit given it was his job to protect them and he was massively passing the buck.

I realise I contradicted myself there, but I think society needs to hold the people responsible to account as well as the people who didn't help and ask why.
    Forum Member
    Lessons will be learned.

Fuc* off - I have just started a thread on this despicable phrase always used to cover totally incompetent people's arses.

"Mistakes were made"

What kind of lesson do these people require if they don't know that letting pedophiles just have children is bad?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a case of a Bangladeshi child sex ring in Cumbria a while ago. They said it may have links to the Yorkshire one, I wouldn't be surprised. It would suggest it's less about being Pakistani, and more about a wider cultural problem.

I would include the western culture of avoiding contentious issues and not protecting children in the cultural problem, I mean what the hell do we pay the police and protective services for if they never even listen to the victims complaints?

I heard a guy on the radio today condemning 'society' for failing these children and young people, that annoyed me a fair bit given it was his job to protect them and he was massively passing the buck.

I realise I contradicted myself there, but I think society needs to hold the people responsible to account as well as the people who didn't help and ask why.

Funnily enough as a law abiding citizen and part of 'society' these evil peado bastards have absolutely nothing to do with me.
  • MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lessons will be learned.

Some posts on here are amazing - if ostriches really did stick their heads in the sand they would be in bloody good company here.

There's an ongoing investigation in the North East of England that seems to have slipped under the radar of the national media
    Police probing the widespread sexual abuse of vulnerable girls and women have received a total of 60 complaints.

The investigation - codenamed Operation Sanctuary - was launched in response to the sexual offences in Newcastle and surrounding areas.

A total of 120 people have now been arrested and 21 people have been charged since its launch in January.

The names have a familiar ring to them as does the final sentence of the report
    The inquiry team noted fears among council staff of being labelled “racist” if they focused on victims’ descriptions of the majority of abusers as “Asian” men.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/operation-sanctuary-police-say-investigating-7678355
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently many of the child protection team were scared of being labelled racists. This man is related to one of the offenders who was caught.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-23820054

Now why doesn't that surprise me?
    Forum Member
    Funnily enough as a law abiding citizen and part of 'society' these evil peado bastards have absolutely nothing to do with me.

But if you did know of a pedophile sex ring, or even just one girl who was being abused, would you:

A. Report it
    B. Cover it up

I just don't understand how someone could know about this and not believe it, or blame the child... I mean some kids are pretty bad, but really?
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Lessons will be learned.

"Mistakes were made"

What kind of lesson do these people require if they don't know that letting pedophiles just have children is bad?

I agree they are trite but what else are these people supposed to say? The report we are discussing talks about what went wrong and why... those are the 'lessons learned' and 'mistakes made' - some changes have been made to procedures and training and communications etc - again documented in the report. Further recommendations have been made for specific changes, with timescales. If we don't learn lessons and acknowledge mistakes then how can things change, irritating though those terms are.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone listen to Richard Bacon's show on Radio 5 live this afternoon?. There was a interesting if depressing call from a woman who was related to someone who was convicted as part of a gang who were convicted of grooming, raping and pimping out a 14 year old girl. (not in Rotherham) The woman who had called in had spoken out in her community (British Pakistani Muslim) against her relative and as a result was threatened and abused by her community and eventually run out of town!. She and her daughters now have to live elsewhere and she had to call in to the radio show under another name.

She said the parents of this relative knew about it and were happy to turn a blind eye because the money was rolling in (because of the forced prostitution of the 14 year old).

She also said sons were idolised in her community and the women were too scared to speak out even if they knew these things were going on. Also that non-Muslim women were seen as worthless.

I assume this will be available on the iplayer at some point if anyone wants to hear it. I think it was on after three o clock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if you did know of a pedophile sex ring, or even just one girl who was being abused, would you:

A. Report it
    B. Cover it up

I just don't understand how someone could know about this and not believe it, or blame the child... I mean some kids are pretty bad, but really?

To right I f***in* would.

Their feet would not touch the ground before I got them slammed in a cell.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone listen to Richard Bacon's show on Radio 5 live this afternoon?. There was a interesting if depressing call from a woman who was related to someone who was convicted as part of a gang who were convicted of grooming, raping and pimping out a 14 year old girl. (not in Rotherham) The woman who had called in had spoken out in her community (British Pakistani Muslim) against her relative and as a result was threatened and abused by her community and eventually run out of town!. She and her daughters now have to live elsewhere and she had to call in to the radio show under another name.

She said the parents of this relative knew about it and were happy to turn a blind eye because the money was rolling in (because of the forced prostitution of the 14 year old).

She also said sons were idolised in her community and the women were too scared to speak out even if they knew these things were going on. Also that non-Muslim women were seen as worthless.

I assume this will be available on the iplayer at some point if anyone wants to hear it. I think it was on after three o clock.

Thank you. I didn't hear it and will look for it. The pressure that is brought to bear on people in this situation is intolerable.
  • tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    I agree they are trite but what else are these people supposed to say? The report we are discussing talks about what went wrong and why... those are the 'lessons learned' and 'mistakes made' - some changes have been made to procedures and training and communications etc - again documented in the report. Further recommendations have been made for specific changes, with timescales. If we don't learn lessons and acknowledge mistakes then how can things change, irritating though those terms are.

Do you honestly believe any individual who needs to " learn the lesson " that it is a moral and professional dereliction of their duty to ignore violent and sexual abuse of young girls because of the ethnicity of the perpetrators, should be employed in any capacity with a duty of care for children ?
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Police Commissioner guy has until tomorrow to resign.Or face suspension.That's just breaking news.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you honestly believe any individual who needs to " learn the lesson " that it is a moral and professional dereliction of their duty to ignore violent and sexual abuse of young girls because of the ethnicity of the perpetrators, should be employed in any capacity with a duty of care for children ?

Absolutely. I have been listening to the radio a lot today about this subject and heard someone say this morning that the morality of the people who have attempted to suppress any knowledge of this abuse really has to be called into question. I would rather be called a racist a million times than have children go through this. It is extraordinary and maddening. It's like something out of the fifties except it is happening now.:(
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    The Police Commissioner guy has until tomorrow to resign.Or face suspension.That's just breaking news.

Sacking the boss always fixes the problem, doesn't it.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    To right I f***in* would.

Their feet would not touch the ground before I got them slammed in a cell.

Then imagine how the parents of some of these children (not just in Yorkshire) have felt when they have reported their children being in these situations or even being in houses with men and the police have done nothing and nor have Social Services.

These threads have been popping up for years, I've said my piece so many times and yet again more is being uncovered! The lack of response and action by all the agencies that should have been 'listening and acting' has given these scumbags a license to do what they have been doing. Imagine burglars knowing that they would not be prosecuted if they robbed houses in a certain area or of certain people, it would be a free for all...yet a child's life and future is far more important. It has and still is an ongoing disgraceful situation!

But well said Keyser1
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »

I hope he is not made a scapegoat and others go by the by but pleased to hear that.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I would disagree, remember in some cultures it's considered acceptable for a man to marry a child of 11 or 12.

But this was not about marriage, it was rape and abuse.

The men already in prison are British born with Pakistani parents. Those men were brought up in this country so KNEW it was wrong.

If these men had committed such crimes against children of their own community, they'd have been lynched.