Best hotel room booking website.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,216
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have started planning a holiday and am looking for some advice on which is the best and cheapest website to book a hotel room at Middlethorp Hall in York in April, I know it is a long way off, but I have never booked a hotel room this way before and wanted to know what the best and cheapest website would be to book then. I want to stay for 3 nights

Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely Booking.com

I use them all the time, theyre fast reliable and very good value for discounts. Laterooms is another good one too
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I always use Booking.com, good discounts and a lot let you book with no deposit and pay on arrival, some rooms require full payment, Look out for ones that have no cancellation fee too, always good to book those, just in case! I have booked a lot of hotels with them and never been disappointed. And it's not too early! I have booked a hotel in London for the end of April.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth looking on Expedia too - sometimes they have some good deals. :)
  • WhothamanWhothaman Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    I use hotels.com and Expedia. Book it through Quidco and you'll get cashback. 12% last time I booked a hotel room via Expedia.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I'm a hotel receptionist and, to be honest, you tend to get a better deal by ringing the hotel itself. It helps to have looked on Late Rooms and Booking.Com and have a tool to haggle.

I know I always match the online price (or even go slightly lower) as then we don't have to pay commission so it saves us money. Also, we sometimes have offers which are not online (dinner, bed & breakfast for cheaper than bed & breakfast etc) and can sometimes do better deals if you are staying for more than one night etc which are not reflected online.

Guess I shouldn't be giving away the 'tips of the trade' but I like to help and I don't get offended by people haggling (unless they really are taking the p).:)
  • the_bullthe_bull Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Travelsupermarket is good too. You can type in the hotel you want to stay in and the dates you want to stay there and it should give you the website which offers the cheapest price for the night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enigmata wrote: »
    I'm a hotel receptionist and, to be honest, you tend to get a better deal by ringing the hotel itself. It helps to have looked on Late Rooms and Booking.Com and have a tool to haggle.

I know I always match the online price (or even go slightly lower) as then we don't have to pay commission so it saves us money. Also, we sometimes have offers which are not online (dinner, bed & breakfast for cheaper than bed & breakfast etc) and can sometimes do better deals if you are staying for more than one night etc which are not reflected online.

Guess I shouldn't be giving away the 'tips of the trade' but I like to help and I don't get offended by people haggling (unless they really are taking the p).:)

yeah that was my old job. Booking.com, laterooms, hotels.com are all much of a muchness with the same rates. You can get the same rates if you check one of them online & ring reception with the rate. They dont need to pay the commission (@10%) its horses for courses really.

The only way to beat that is with a groupon or kgb deal.

Another way to try and get your room cheaper is to say (when you ring reception) you are corporate and ask if they have a corporate rate. Same room, sometimes half the price, just say you are working for Virgin/BT/Bank of America/Anything. I guess this shouldnt be told either but now ive left I dont care. Never say you are a leisure guest, youll be ripped off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be booking.com for me. Best rates on the internet for the hotels I've looked at, and I did look at the hotel's own websites too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be booking.com for me. Best rates on the internet for the hotels I've looked at, and I did look at the hotel's own websites too.

Well yeah, never look on the hotels website. They are called 'rack' rates. The top price.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First thing to do is see if its on Trivago. Only discovered this site recently and its genuinely saved me loads (time and money!)
    My personal favourites were Laterooms & Booking.com - Laterooms primarily because its on Quidco. But Trivago has pointed me to some different sites. Good luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    The thing is that the hotels put the rates on the websites - I know we put the same rates on all websites (maybe a little cheaper on our own) so it really is much of a muchness - it's not the website which is good, it really depends on what price the hotel chooses to put on. I can't see why it would be any different on any of the internet sites.

I guess the only benefit of using these sites is if you get cashback etc like other posters have mentioned.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you enter your dates via TripAdvisor it opens windows for all the major booking sites so you can compare prices.
  • Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    If you enter your dates via TripAdvisor it opens windows for all the major booking sites so you can compare prices.

agree with this comment but also agree that its worth a call to the hotel after finding out best "online deal".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enigmata wrote: »

I tried this once with a Best Western hotel and was absolutely astounded when the person I spoke to wouldn't even match the deal I could book online, let alone beat it! :confused:
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I've used loads of different hotel websites and I can't remember ever having a problem with any of them. As long as you stick with the main ones and not use anything you've never heard of then I'm sure you'll be fine.

Just watch out for the rules on cancellations. You may get a better price by paying up front but often you won't be able to change or cancel. When travelling for work I try to never pre-pay rooms as flexibility is more important than saving a few pounds.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotels.com

As someone else pointed out yu normally get 12% cashback and a free night credit if you've booked 10 nights with them. The 10 nights doesn't need to all be in one booking or the same hotel.

The credit is the average spend over the 10 nights. I got a £103 credit a couple of months ago which I've claimed against a booking in New York, and I'm still getting cashback too. Quids in :-)