Broadband only 30mb

rafas12thmanrafas12thman Posts: 221
Forum Member
Hi All,

I have been with virgin for around 3 years have 60mb bb and had phone m.
I have just swapped my phone to vonage and it seems ok at the moment, to save the stupid line rental of £14.99.

I thought it would be simple to downgrade to 30mb m, which is okay for my needs and pay around £22.50/month.

CS now want £28.65 off me a month??:mad:

Is this right especially when a new customers get their discounted 30mb at £17.50 for so many months then £22.50/ month after that

Cheers

Tony

Comments

• Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you don't use their phone, the prices of other services go up!
  • Gaz82Gaz82 Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 30Mb broadband only and they put the price up to £23.65 a month (from £22.50) without notice.

Rang them up to complain as I've only been with them 6 months on a 12 month contract. They offered me £19.50 a month for 12 months with a guaranteed no price increase for the duration of the contract.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    Hi All,

I have just swapped my phone to vonage and it seems ok at the moment, to save the stupid line rental of £14.99.

I thought it would be simple to downgrade to 30mb m, which is okay for my needs and pay around £22.50/month.

Is this right especially when a new customers get their discounted 30mb at £17.50 for so many months then £22.50/ month after that

Cheers

Tony

Your profile says you have V+ HD, so you dont have broadband only, which is about £23/month
  • rafas12thmanrafas12thman Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    Marti S wrote: »
    Your profile says you have V+ HD, so you dont have broadband only, which is about £23/month

Well spotted, I have amended my profile accordingly. An update on this situation I now only have 60 mb bb and have asked repeatedly to drop to 30mb and been told it will cost me £28.65/month.

Virgin are greedy!!:mad:

I have escalated as I don`t think I am being treated fairly, it is a kind of blackmail to say take another service and it will be reduced, new customers taking up broadband only don`t get told that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    ... and have asked repeatedly to drop to 30mb and been told it will cost me £28.65/month.

Virgin are greedy!!:mad:

And very dishonest. £28.65 is *not* the price of 30mb as a standalone package. Phone them and ask them why you are being lied to and ask them to give you a link to their site that shows the price as £28.65. If they refuse ask to speak to retentions - I'd be astonished if retentions told you that was the price. I think you'd have a decent chance of getting it even cheaper than the real price which is around 23 quid.
  • not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjeff2k wrote: »
    And very dishonest.
    Absolutely. Virgin are by far and away the most dishonest company I have ever dealt with. Not only is their advertised "unlimited/no caps" broadband a flat-out lie, but I was sold 60mb broadband with the promise of matching the new customers price and that I would get 6mb upload. Even the installer told me that "it can take a few days for the full speed to take effect", when a speedtest only showed 3mb after the install. When I phoned up a few days later to complain, I was told their promised speed doubling date only covered download, and that the upload doubling would happen at some later, unspecified date. Not the impression you get from their website at all. As for their promised price, they refused to honor their promise, so I canceled the whole thing, and then a few hours later, someone finally phoned me up and said they would give me the price I was promised.
  • redcar1redcar1 Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite happy with the service I've had from Virgin up to now. I have stand-alone broadband (30Mbps down/2Mbps up) and pay £23.65 per month for it, which isn't unreasonable considering that a few years ago I was paying £20 per month for a ropey ADSL service from Orange! There has been one price increase so far which I was informed about well in advance.
    So far there has only been one period of lost service and customer services did admit there was a problem in my area when telephoned. This was a refreshing change from both previous ADSL providers who always blamed faults on me and had me scurrying pointlessly around the house checking filters and such like which obviously wasn't going to restore the service!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Hi All,

Cheers

Tony

stupid question for u..
    have u debugged your computer?
    some times that helps..use your anti virol.
    Forum Member
    psouth wrote: »
    stupid question for u..

???

What are you on about?
    Forum Member
    He did say it was stupid:-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

Cheers

Tony
    You want it cheaper keep the phone line, lose it and your package will rise which is normal business practice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psouth wrote: »
    stupid question for u..
    Now what exactly has that to do with the cost of his service or does debugging and running antivirus have an impact on your price.:eek::eek::p:p
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    petey286 wrote: »
    You want it cheaper keep the phone line, lose it and your package will rise which is normal business practice.

Rubbish, I dropped the phone line and mine went down, they tried to persuade me to keep it for just £2/month.

Sometime after that I rang and got a further £5 off for 2 years from retention.
    Forum Member
    petey286 wrote: »

This is nonsense. If anyone goes down to a single package they pay the normal single package price not the normal price + a £5 punishment charge. I have no idea where you get the idea this is normal business practice because it most definitely is not.
    Forum Member
    mjeff2k wrote: »
    This is nonsense. If anyone goes down to a single package they pay the normal single package price not the normal price + a £5 punishment charge. I have no idea where you get the idea this is normal business practice because it most definitely is not.

Hi all,

Just an update on this, I escalated it and it seems new and existing customers should not be treated any differently just because they have a single service.
    Indeed loyalty discounts should come into play and now I am a happy bunny
    :)