Travelling alone in Prague

OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
Forum Member
I am thinking of going to Prague for a week at the beginning of September, I will be 20 by then.

I can get all UK travel + flights + hostel for the week for total of just under £150 and would take another £100-£150 for spending money - will this be enough?

Although I want to go there by myself I would like to meet people there to go out with etc - am I likely to meet these people in a hostel? The one I am looking says 42% of their customers are single travellers but I don't know if they would likely be my age etc.

Also wondering if anyone has been to Prague and has recommendations of things to do or knows if it is a safe place to travel by myself? Is not knowing any Czech going to be a huge issue?

I have been looking on a website called Travbuddy - anyone know if it is worth paying the $9.99 'identity verification' fee which will allow me to contact other people on the site? Or is it one of those website where I'm just going to get weird people contacting me for unrelated reasons.

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem travelling alone in Prague. Almost everyone in the tourist areas speaks English and there are loads of bars to mix with people from all over the world. Just avoid the fake "Irish" bars around the main square which are overpriced and attract stag/hen parties and you'll be fine.

This is my favourite place: http://praguebeermuseum.com/
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    You will have no problem meeting people in a hostel although I would recommend choosing one with a bar as that is a convenient way to get chatting to people.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    No problem travelling alone in Prague. Almost everyone in the tourist areas speaks English and there are loads of bars to mix with people from all over the world. Just avoid the fake "Irish" bars around the main square which are overpriced and attract stag/hen parties and you'll be fine.

This is my favourite place: http://praguebeermuseum.com/

Yes, I was dragged into one of them on a Stag Do, paid over £10 for an Irish Breakfast that was terrible.
  • urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    You don't need to speak any Czech. You should be safe in Prague....I've been 3 times and never once felt anything other than completely safe (granted, I'm male, so I cant vouch for how women feel!). You can wander about in the small hours as there are still loads of tourists about.

Where abouts are you thinking of staying in Prague?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I was dragged into one of them on a Stag Do, paid over £10 for an Irish Breakfast that was terrible.

Yes, it's amazing. The big "Irish" bars in the centre get away with charging London prices to drunken groups yet a few doors away there will be a fantastic place serving cheap Czech beer and food with a much better mix of people.

The old town of Prague is a maze of small streets so it's great for wandering around, getting lost and making some unexpected discover. Just take some comfortable shoes as you will do lots of walking and there are a lot of cobblestones around.

Prague might not be the best place if you are a vegetarian or on a strict diet. Czech food is primarily meat based with lots of stodge. Everything comes with dumplings.
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    You don't need to speak any Czech. You should be safe in Prague....I've been 3 times and never once felt anything other than completely safe (granted, I'm male, so I cant vouch for how women feel!). You can wander about in the small hours as there are still loads of tourists about.

Where abouts are you thinking of staying in Prague?

Probably a hostel in the centre, I don't know enough about the area to be more specific.. My friend is saying she wants to come now. I would have a lot of fun with her but I was getting quite excited about the idea of going alone, plus she is trying to get me to go to Budapest instead. :/
  • urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I always try to stay near the Old Town Square, which is pretty much the best starting place for everything you want to see. I'm going in September as well, taking my son this time. Can't wait.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it very well and you will be safe but stay in Prague 1 or 2.

A week is way too long thought 3/4 nights max and you will need more spending money. Its not as cheap as it was, including the taxis to and from the airport. There are tea leafs though so watch your pockets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barneyboy wrote: »

A week is way too long thought 3/4 nights max and you will need more spending money. Its not as cheap as it was, including the taxis to and from the airport. There are tea leafs though so watch your pockets.

Yes, I would say the 3 or 4 nights is ideal for a first trip. If going away for a week then it would be worth combining Prague with a few nights elsewhere. Prague is right at the centre of the European rail network so there are loads of places within a few of hours by train. Here are a few ideas: http://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Prague.htm#.U0z9gPldXIY
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

?? I stayed in Praha 6 in feb, it was approx £10 in a taxi from the airport to my hotel... Then a short tram and metro ride to the main squares for sightseeing etc. Go a street or so back from the main squares and you can get a large beer for £1., and amazing traditional Czech dinners for approx £5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    ?? I stayed in Praha 6 in feb, it was approx £10 in a taxi from the airport to my hotel... Then a short tram and metro ride to the main squares for sightseeing etc. Go a street or so back from the main squares and you can get a large beer for £1., and amazing traditional Czech dinners for approx £5.

Well of course the outer areas are cheaper. Ive been 4 times, when we went out further the ketchup was more expensive than the beer! Really cheap. Being alone in backstreets at night not around many English people, you must be mad.

First time in a new country on your own, you want to be central, not faffing about with metro cards when you want to go into town. The taxi's aren't exactly reliable if you are on your own, ive had a few dodgy moments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time in a new country on your own, you want to be central, not faffing about with metro cards when you want to go into town. The taxi's aren't exactly reliable if you are on your own, ive had a few dodgy moments.

I've never had any "dodgy moments" but I would always stop centrally. It's often nice to pop back to the hotel during the day. You may pay a little more but it's much more convenient - especially after a night on the Czech beers.
    Forum Member

I never paid £1 for a beer 5 years ago, cheapest I got was about £1.30. And yes, that was going off the beaten track as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never paid £1 for a beer 5 years ago, cheapest I got was about £1.30. And yes, that was going off the beaten track as well.

Then you didn't go to the right places - plenty of them offering a pint for 33/36czk.
    Forum Member
    Then you didn't go to the right places - plenty of them offering a pint for 33/36czk.

Perhaps that's why. The exchange rate was terrible in 2008.
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the advice, I have just booked Barcelona instead from 4th Sept - 9th. Still travelling alone though so will take on board all the tips here.

On that note... anyone got any Barcelona advice?:p
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Start a new thread. And be careful of shysters in back alleys. Their Peseta exchange rate is extortionate.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the advice, I have just booked Barcelona instead from 4th Sept - 9th. Still travelling alone though so will take on board all the tips here.

Yes lots. PM me if you want to know anything specific.
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I spent a week in Barcelona myself, was fab, great city, beautiful architecture and plenty of wondrous sights! I stayed in a lovely hostel near the gothic quarter, loved it!

As for travelling alone, there is nothing to worry about, always research where you're going, any potentially dodgy areas, be sensible carrying cash etc, know your way around - good maps, gps on phone etc, and if something sounds or feels to good to be true, use your gut instinct!

I travelled as a single 19-21 year old female throughout Asia, India, South America, Australia, New Zealand and Fiji, including some European cities like Barcelona. The key is to keep people back home aware of where you are, have copies of documents etc and be sensible in situations you may be a little vulnerable in! Have fun, life's too short not to have adventures!
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Start a new thread. And be careful of shysters in back alleys. Their Peseta exchange rate is extortionate.

You know that pesetas haven't been used in Spain for 12 years, don't you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know that pesetas haven't been used in Spain for 12 years, don't you?

That's why the exchange rate is a rip-off ;-)