Options

Foul Language

Comments

• Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    So its' ok for them to swear on the telly in full, but if we say something and replace the proper letters with asterisks,its' wrong.?
    If you think about it,when you use asterisks you might not be swearing,but saying something else! ;)
  • Options
    Ms Ann ThropeMs Ann Thrope Posts: 7,213
    Forum Member
    Why is it not absolutely intolerable to spout such hateful misogynistic BS when it's being done 'as a wind up'? If Asto was saying the same kind of things about black or homosexual people there would be an absolute outcry on here, yet when it's about women, people say 'oh, he's just on a wind up, take no notice'.

Well, I have taken notice and alerted the mods. I've never done that before to anyone, but I've got PMS, and it just seemed like the right thing to do.
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Why is it not absolutely intolerable to spout such hateful misogynistic BS when it's being done 'as a wind up'? If Asto was saying the same kind of things about black or homosexual people there would be an absolute outcry on here, yet when it's about women, people say 'oh, he's just on a wind up, take no notice'.

Well, I have taken notice and alerted the mods. I've never done that before to anyone, but I've got PMS, and it just seemed like the right thing to do.

Thank you for taking away the little bit of pleasure I have.
  • Options
    Itchy NiagrasItchy Niagras Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cythna wrote:
    Would you care to tell us more about "their station" so that we can all jump on you?
    LMAO. Sounds like some term used by 1920's domestic service staff. :D

"What's wrong lass......scullery maid not good enough for yer anymore eh?"
  • Options
    Itchy NiagrasItchy Niagras Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikey's excessive swearing is fine then? I didn't hear any complaints about Sezer or George swearing constatly either.
    The swear quotient was but a mere fraction of that of the Manc gobshite. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for taking away the little bit of pleasure I have.

Excuse me? Are you saying that it gives you pleasure to promote hatred of women?

Would you think it's ok to say black people should get back to picking cotton, where they belong? Hardly. Surely we have left that sort of bigotry behind, but apparently, when it's directed against women, it's ok? Funny, even?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not usually a fan of alerting mods and stuff, but some of Asto's comments in this thread have been utterly repulsive, wind-up or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised to see all the comments here about women, their roles in society and whether the BB female housemates are representative of the female population in general.
    I have to say, what a load of twoddle!!!!!
    BB is a gameshow not based in reality at all.....the 'type of person', as opposed to male/female, that enters the house are usually exceptionally bizarre, arrogant or intellectually challenged, sometimes we have the combination of all three in one individual.
    Unfortunately, we happen to have one housemate who isn't capable of stringing a sentance together without using an expletive, but I guess that is one of the reasons she was chosen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    C'mon! if they put some skanky Mancunian gobshite in the house and put her under stress, she'll go off on one. must have seemed a 'good telly' idea at first, but Lisa just reinforces all my negative sterotypes of a certain type of Mancunian.
    I know that not everybody from Madchester is like that, but on tv we get a right load of gobby girls and half-mental men form that place.
    maybe it is the accent, but they sound as thick as pigsht.

raight, sahrted, fookin brilliant, man
    ave summar theeese pillls - I swapped em for a set of ubcaps!
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Spoon wrote:
    ...maybe it is the accent, but they sound as thick as pigsht.

raight, sahrted, fookin brilliant, man
    ave summar theeese pillls - I swapped em for a set of ubcaps!
    It's not the accent, it's the words.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're quite right, and I should probably have alerted the mods, but the guy's obviously trolling and - while that doesn't in any way make what he's saying acceptable - he WANTS attention, and presumably when he gets banned he'll just join again with a different user name and start over again. I thought depriving him of the attention would possibly be more effective in stopping him spouting this crap than rising to it.

Edit: Also, I've just "got" your username. Love it *cackles*
  • Options
    Mykey38Mykey38 Posts: 1,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikey's excessive swearing is fine then? I didn't hear any complaints about Sezer or George swearing constatly either.

To be honest Ive never heard Mikey utter more than 2 lines since BB started.

In general the swearing in this series is far worse than any other. Im not a prude, far from it, I go to oubs and Football and swear my self but not as much as Lisa and Graceless & Dimogen I would have thought have been brought up better than to use the F word in every sentence.

I just think that Channel 4 are making a mistake in not trying to get housemates to stop swearing or bleeping it out as they are potentially stopping younger viewers watching the 9.00pm show and a couple of week time I suspect they may be looking for all the viewers they can get.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mykey38 wrote:
    Am I the only one who has had enough of the women in BB "F" ing and blinding every 2 minutes.
    I dont think it is possible for Lisa to construct a sentence without using the F word.

I have two children thankfully 6 and 1 so they are tucked up in bed way before this starts, but parents with teenagers can you let your children sit and watch BB with that sort of language going on.

I find it ironic that a section on the forums dedicated to BB that is full of swearing has a sticky warning us not to swear here. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mykey38 wrote:
    To be honest Ive never heard Mikey utter more than 2 lines since BB started.

In general the swearing in this series is far worse than any other. Im not a prude, far from it, I go to oubs and Football and swear my self but not as much as Lisa and Graceless & Dimogen I would have thought have been brought up better than to use the F word in every sentence.

I just think that Channel 4 are making a mistake in not trying to get housemates to stop swearing or bleeping it out as they are potentially stopping younger viewers watching the 9.00pm show and a couple of week time I suspect they may be looking for all the viewers they can get.

Thing is, they have to have the same rules for everyone, and were they to come down hard on swearing it'd be unfair on Pete. Also I think, within the limits of the game, they want people to act as "naturally" as possible. After a while they tend to forget about the cameras, but constantly policing their own language would probably make them much more self-conscious.
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asto47 wrote:
    Yes, eating smelly greasy chicken with slurpy disgusting noises is downright offensive.
    Yet beef isn't included in your statement? What about McDonalds? What about a Subway sandwich? Chinese Takeaway? Why must you pick on the chicken so? You, you, chickenist!
    Public transport is transport, it's not a restaurant. I wouldn't go to a restaurant frequented by the sort of person who chicken-eats, so why should I be compelled to witness/experience it when I travel.
    You don't, shut your eyes. There, now you can go about happy.

No doubt your response would be "while why should I have to shut my eyes?", the answer's simple: I find your offended nature at my chicken eating offensive - why should I have to put up with it? I'm sitting on public transport trying to eat my dinner and I've got some guy being all offended? I'm being oppressed!
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Posted seperately so as to distinguish this serious reply from my previous silly one):
    Mykey38 wrote:
    they are potentially stopping younger viewers watching the 9.00pm show
    Good, they're meant to. As I said earlier - the watershed is 9pm - what the hell are younger viewers doing watching then? It's the parent's responsibility to vet anything post 9pm (they should do it all the time, but 9pm gives a sensible limit).

The parents that let 10 year olds watch BB at 9pm are probably the same ones that complain when The Omen gives their 10 year old nightmares.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    i just read @ aol entertainment that, lisa and grace have been bitching about Aisleyne. "Have you seen her without her make-up ... she's a dog,'' added Lisa. "She has no class.''

pot calling the kettle black!!!!!
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excuse me? Are you saying that it gives you pleasure to promote hatred of women? Would you think it's ok to say black people should get back to picking cotton, where they belong? Hardly. Surely we have left that sort of bigotry behind, but apparently, when it's directed against women, it's ok? Funny, even?
    Unfortunately there are some who persistently do that on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly, there's a sticky about racism and homophobia. Misogyny is obviously condoned. That can't be ideal, surely?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    It seems to me that there's two things going on here with regard to the swearing.

Firstly, I am absolutely sure that the quantity of swearing has adjusted itself unconsciously to cater for the lowest common denominator - which where swearing is concerned, is Lisa.

I'm also sure that when Lisa is evicted, the rest of the house mates will unconsciously reduce their swearing.

Which highlights the fact that - unconsciously again - the majority of the housemates, particularly the females, are challenged by and feel subordinate to, Lisa. Which is interesting, on its own.

Aside from all that, I feel that swearing is indicative of the measure of a person. A greater degree of swearing indicates a lack of vocabulary - and I would imagine that someone like Grace (who, I get the impression, likes to think she's a cut above the rest), when she wakes up to that fact, will be horrified at the picture she has painted of herself during this time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ursidae wrote:
    Aside from all that, I feel that swearing is indicative of the measure of a person. A greater degree of swearing indicates a lack of vocabulary - and I would imagine that someone like Grace (who, I get the impression, likes to think she's a cut above the rest), when she wakes up to that fact, will be horrified at the picture she has painted of herself during this time.

I don't actually agree with this point. I like to think I've got a fairly large vocabulary, but I swear a lot. It may be true in Lisa's case, but I don't think it's necessarily a logical progression.

Other than that, though, I liked that post- the whole "subordinate to Lisa" thing was something I'll confess hadn't occurred to me, and something I shall be looking out for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    asto47 wrote:
    I don't live under a bridge. I don't try to eat goats. I do believe women should know their places - kitchen and bedroom.

HA HA HA HA....oh asto you do make me laugh. :D:D

I'd love to meet your missus. I bet she's not trained as well as you'd like. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote:
    You're quite right, and I should probably have alerted the mods, but the guy's obviously trolling and - while that doesn't in any way make what he's saying acceptable - he WANTS attention, and presumably when he gets banned he'll just join again with a different user name and start over again. I thought depriving him of the attention would possibly be more effective in stopping him spouting this crap than rising to it.

Edit: Also, I've just "got" your username. Love it *cackles*

I'm usually a tolerant person and would defend someone's right to spout cr*p if they want to (not misanthropic at all, my nick's a bit of a misnomer), but something about this guy made me bite today.

When they put up that sticky about not tolerating racism and homophobia, I nearly started a thread asking if it was tolerable to be sexist, ageist and fattist. I really don't understand why it's taboo to make offensive remarks about some groups of people, and not others.

Not bothered about the swearing, tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    something about this guy made me bite today.

Probably the fact that he's spouting ignorant bigoted bullsh*t. I too find it hard not to feed the trolls when they come right up to your table and try to lick your plate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    I'm usually a tolerant person and would defend someone's right to spout cr*p if they want to (not misanthropic at all, my nick's a bit of a misnomer), but something about this guy made me bite today.

When they put up that sticky about not tolerating racism and homophobia, I nearly started a thread asking if it was tolerable to be sexist, ageist and fattist. I really don't understand why it's taboo to make offensive remarks about some groups of people, and not others.

Not bothered about the swearing, tbh.
    Misogyny is ingrained into society, so much so that most don't even notice, it, let alone set guidelines to forbid it. If half of what has been said against women in this thread had been said about gays or ethnic minorities, there would have been an absolute outcry, and rightly so. But no, tis only women, so it don't matter.