Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InsideSoap wrote: »
    Available for preorder now on Amazon UK, Christmas has come early! :D

Very tempting!
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Available from 25 October, only the wi-fi version though.

Hope the 3G version comes soon...

ETA correction: The 3G will be available from that date too, happy days! :cool:
  • lymlym Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're buggers! I've just bought the touch. Think I will sell my keyboard and keep my touch as a spare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not an issue for me, but it should be noted that the MP3 player and other audio features have been dropped for the Paperwhite.
  • Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really pleased to see this:)
  • Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And we are getting the Lending Library later on in the month for Prime subscribers. Yay!
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    Saw the Facebook post from Amazon UK in my news feed. Pre-ordered!! :)
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    This was the Kindle that I really wanted, not sure if I can justify it at the moment though, hmmm. I might treat myself after Christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ordered!
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just cancelled the one I had order from the states as that was due to be shipped Nov hope this ones a bit sooner depends on demand, and pre-ordered here very surprised was thinking next year for uk release.
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not an issue for me, but it should be noted that the MP3 player and other audio features have been dropped for the Paperwhite.

They want you to get buy the kindle fire for that going forward, so you bathe in amazon store.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About time this happened, no light was a major flaw in the old kindles.

Are they identical size to the kindle touch, and can you have 2 kindles registered with amazon at the same time and redownload all your old content to the new one for free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About time this happened, no light was a major flaw in the old kindles.

Are they identical size to the kindle touch, and can you have 2 kindles registered with amazon at the same time and redownload all your old content to the new one for free.
    They're very *slightly* smaller and thinner than the Touch, the leather covers sold to go with the Paperwhite are advertised as being unsuitable for the Touch.

You can have more than one Kindle registered at the same time, and your old content can be "synced", i.e. downloaded for free.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    And we are getting the Lending Library later on in the month for Prime subscribers. Yay!

Now this might just tempt me into a Kindle purchase.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Now this might just tempt me into a Kindle purchase.

Looks like you can only borrow one book per month at the moment, When they incase the number I think it will bring many more people to the Kindle (thats if they order enough stuff to make being a PRIME customer worthwhile)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're very *slightly* smaller and thinner than the Touch, the leather covers sold to go with the Paperwhite are advertised as being unsuitable for the Touch.

You can have more than one Kindle registered at the same time, and your old content can be "synced", i.e. downloaded for free.

Thanks

So if they are slightly smaller guess they should fit into the kindle touch cases.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well have pre-ordered mine, went for super saver as amazon wanted over 6 quid to send it first class, what a take on.

I hope the light is decent and not just some half hearted lighweight attempt to satisfy customers, if it dont do a good enough job then mine will be going back to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well have pre-ordered mine, went for super saver as amazon wanted over 6 quid to send it first class, what a take on.

I hope the light is decent and not just some half hearted lighweight attempt to satisfy customers, if it dont do a good enough job then mine will be going back to them.

You might even get it the same day as those who used first class. I remember when the kindle keyboard first came out, those who used first class and supersaver were getting them on the same day anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might even get it the same day as those who used first class. I remember when the kindle keyboard first came out, those who used first class and supersaver were getting them on the same day anyway.

Yeah maybe, my dispatch estimate is Wednesday which is the day before release and considering the cost doubt it will be sent by standard royal mail post but rather a carrier with a signed for service. Often even super saver will get a 24 hour service with this. Its not an issue if it dont turn up to a few days after, I just wont pay 6.10 or whatever it was for first class. I just hope if it is by carrier its not home delivery network or whatever they are called now, they are shocking, it could arrive anytime if its being sent by them. I cant believe amazon wold still use such a cowboy company as HDN. The last item that came via them never turned up and hdn didn't even have a record of it. Amazon were pretty good, got another sent out to me by 24 hour carrier and sent me a 15 quid e-voucher for all the hassle.
  • CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just dont read in dark places
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently theres a lot of complaints from US customers who've bought the paperwhite saying the bottom of the kindle screen is darker due to the backlight and appears like there is 4 dark blotches on the bottom. Also a few people are complaining that there are colour blotches (blues and pinks) on the screen also.

I think i'll hold off ordering one until i've seen one up close to check it out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grazman wrote: »
    Apparently theres a lot of complaints from US customers who've bought the paperwhite saying the bottom of the kindle screen is darker due to the backlight and appears like there is 4 dark blotches on the bottom. Also a few people are complaining that there are colour blotches (blues and pinks) on the screen also.

I think i'll hold off ordering one until i've seen one up close to check it out.

Yes I've seen all the reviews on amazon.com complaining about this. I had pre-ordered it but have cancelled it now as some of the pics ive seen of the defective screen looked quite bad and even i could see the discoloured spots. Decided to go for the Kobo glo after seeing it in the flesh this week.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I've seen all the reviews on amazon.com complaining about this. I had pre-ordered it but have cancelled it now as some of the pics ive seen of the defective screen looked quite bad and even i could see the discoloured spots. Decided to go for the Kobo glo after seeing it in the flesh this week.

So you are leaving the Amazon garden? :D Do you have a lot of Kindle books to "process"? One thing I'd miss with ePub readers is a seamlessness of purchasing a book. Now I can sit in a train, finished reading a free sample. I can buy and start reading it in a minute.
  • metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing about the bad reviews and complaints about the paperwhite is they stand out from all the (many more) glowing reviews.

Amazon are fantastic at returns/refunds so I've ordered one anyway, if I don't like it I'll send it back. But I'm sure I won't need to.

I had a look at the Kobo, it's very nice, the light is very blue and quite blotchy but still better than my current lighted Kindle case. If the PW did turn out to be no good I'd certainly consider getting one.