Options

Office 2010 - Activation (reactivation problems).

stujonesstujones Posts: 1,277
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all.

I recently bought a new Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 7 and Office 2010 installed (as part of the price).... To cut a long story short, 6 months down the line Windows 7 decided to not work and it took and IT expert to get it working.

However, this left me with an installed Office 2010 but now requiring a activation key. This laptop came with Office pre-installed. What I had to do with it was click on office, call the 0800 number and follow the automated instructions. I was then given a 48 digit number (8 groups of 6) from the phone call, I typed this in... and bob's your uncle.... fully activated - working and everything. It was the full version.

Now though, when I click on Office - I don't get asked for these 48 digits - but a 25 digit product key?...... Now I don't have this. I've tried to explain to the call centre in Microsoft and they've requested a 54 digit number!!!!!!! I;ve still got the original 48 digit number that I used but thats all. So I cannot get it activated...... any ideas' advice. I know there are crooks up with dodgy copies, but I bought a geniune copy and now cannot get it back. Microsoft don't seem to be believing my pleas.

It doesn't seem possible for me to be able type in these 48 digits online... any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If office was included as part of your laptop purchase then you should have been given a piece of paper with a hologram and a 25-character key.

I would get back to sony if this was not included.
  • Options
    DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most laptops that come with Office pre-installed are trail versions only, usually 30, 60, 90 or 180 day trails.
  • Options
    stujonesstujones Posts: 1,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Most laptops that come with Office pre-installed are trail versions only, usually 30, 60, 90 or 180 day trails.

This was a full version, I'd paid for it extra. It was fully equiped with windows 7 and office 2010. All I needed to do was get the 48 digit (8 x 6 group of numbers) activation code and it worked.

It was over 6 months before Windows 7 died and it needed a restore reboot. Now asking for a 25 digit product key... I didn't get asked about this before, all I needed was the 48 digit code.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theres no coa sticker for office anywhere in all the paperwork that came with it or underneath the laptop itself?
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    You need to contact the company you bought the laptop from. If you paid extra for Office, you should have been given the relevant activation codes.

Which version of Office 2010 did you buy (Home/Pro, etc) and is it the same version that is currently installed? The company may have installed a different version of Office, but restoring to factory settings has reverted you back to the original trial/home version.