Going sick during notice period?

harjamharjam Posts: 333
Forum Member
Ive resigned from my job and I've given notice to the end of April...Im struggling to find anything positive to say about my manager and really not sure I can cope working with her to the end.

Ive never taken a day off sick in the two years I've worked in my current position but am so tempted to get myself signed off as the stress I feel coming in every day is making me feel physically sick. Ive been shouted at today on the phone by two clienst over matters that had nothing to do with me and I'm almost in tears. I'm normally thick skinned and can deal with all manner of crap but I dont think I can take much more.

Where do I stand if I go sick? I know it doesnt sound proffessional and it sounds like id be 'skiving' but im at my wits end.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't be a problem if you can get your doctor to sign you off.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not see if you can negotiate an earlier departure?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Why not see if you can negotiate an earlier departure?

This.

Most companies will negotiate an eraly release. Another possiblity is to take any outstanding holidays you may have left, they'll normally pay you for them if you don't take them but you can take them if you prefer.

Going sick should be a last resort.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    harjam wrote: »
    Ive resigned from my job and I've given notice to the end of April...Im struggling to find anything positive to say about my manager and really not sure I can cope working with her to the end.

Ive never taken a day off sick in the two years I've worked in my current position but am so tempted to get myself signed off as the stress I feel coming in every day is making me feel physically sick. Ive been shouted at today on the phone by two clienst over matters that had nothing to do with me and I'm almost in tears. I'm normally thick skinned and can deal with all manner of crap but I dont think I can take much more.

Where do I stand if I go sick? I know it doesnt sound proffessional and it sounds like id be 'skiving' but im at my wits end.

End of April's a lot of notice, if you've only been there two years.Can't you leave before then.

Under no circumstances get signed off with stress, if you have to stay till the end of April do so - it's only 5 weeks or so. take what ever holiday your owned and stick out the rest.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Don't burn your bridges, no matter how much you may hate your boss. You never know when you might need them again.

Just stick it out, would be my advice.
  • harjamharjam Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your replies. The reason I'm giving five weeks is to help them out til they find someone else and I'm also helping to cover someone on long term sick leave who's sick note runs expires on the 26th April. I guess knowing me, I'll stick if out. I'll take each day as it comes. Today was pretty rubbish but tomorrow? Well who knows.. Think I might buy a lottery ticket :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    What is the notice period you have to give in your contract? Can you go back to the date you handed notice in and then only give the minimum.

I had a job in a supermarket and hated it and wanted to leave, I wrote a letter of resignation and stated I would be unable to work my notice period. There was no issue with this at all
  • RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can go sick for 7 days after that you need a doctor's cert. Notice period has nothing to do with it. You are still an employee during your notice and the rules are the same.
    Forum Member
    My notice period is four weeks and I didn't want to leave them in the lurch by not working out my notice period as I like to think I'm a nice person who's always given 100% but I actually felt sick last night at the thought of work today and I was still tossing and turning at 2am this morning. Result of all that is I'm shattered and feel stressy. I'll see how it goes over the next week or so..thanks again everyone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People really don't listen on here do they?
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Rowieboy wrote: »
    People really don't listen on here do they?

Pardon? :D

(sorry)
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really understand... you have given them more notice than required as you don't want to leave them in the lurch, yet going of sick will also leave them in the lurch?

In the long run, 5 weeks is nothing and at least if you fulfil your duties, you should get a decent reference out of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My notice period is four weeks and I didn't want to leave them in the lurch by not working out my notice period as I like to think I'm a nice person who's always given 100% but I actually felt sick last night at the thought of work today and I was still tossing and turning at 2am this morning. Result of all that is I'm shattered and feel stressy. I'll see how it goes over the next week or so..thanks again everyone

Really, just ask if you can leave earlier. Your attitude is admirable but may be misplaced as your relationship with your employers has clearly broken down and it may be mutually benefical for you to go sooner. There is at this point nothing for you to lose by asking, the worst is they will say no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7 days self cert...Blah blah blah. Why folk want to see something else here i just don't know?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowieboy wrote: »
    7 days self cert...Blah blah blah. Why folk want to see something else here i just don't know?
    Blah blah blah. 7 days from the sound of it is not enough, after that a doctor's certificate will be required and being signed of work for stress may be disadvantageous to future job applications.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    If you stick it out for these last few weeks you'll feel much better about yourself. You'll look back on it in the future and think "no matter how hard it got, I still dealt with it like a pro"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Blah blah blah. 7 days from the sound of it is not enough, after that a doctor's certificate will be required and being signed of work for stress may be disadvantageous to future job applications.

Just stick it out. People on here are way too sensitive. Knowing that you are getting out must be a positive? If you can't cope with that then i am glad that i'm not your next employer. Looks like the OP won't be able to cope with that either.
    Forum Member
    Think you're right. I'm going to try hang in there. I shall count the days down!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think you're right. I'm going to try hang in there. I shall count the days down!

Im sure that you have more strength than you know. Call on it and you will be fine. Good luck!!
    Forum Member
    Rowieboy, what a charming individual you are. Me sensitive? You have no idea. How about you keep your 'blah blah blahs' to yourself... Thank you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowieboy, what a charming individual you are. Me sensitive? You have no idea. How about you keep your 'blah blah blahs' to yourself... Thank you

I meant it when i said good luck. This website is full of people who can't cope with life. You can keep your insecurities too! Thank you!!!!!
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the good luck...I suppose I am finding things a little hard this year. Since January I've seen a very close friend die, financial hardship resulting in my car being repossed last week, a parent diagnosed with cancer and a son drop out of his a levels and a close friendship fall apart and it's only march.

Apologies for being off with you. Guess I'm feeling sorry for myself... Onwards and upwards!!! :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the good luck...I suppose I am finding things a little hard this year. Since January I've seen a very close friend die, financial hardship resulting in my car being repossed last week, a parent diagnosed with cancer and a son drop out of his a levels and a close friendship fall apart and it's only march.

Apologies for being off with you. Guess I'm feeling sorry for myself... Onwards and upwards!!! :-)

That's tough. My sister has had cancer,my stepmum too. You will be fine!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Atta girl/guy harjam. With that attitude you should hopefully always do well in life. I'd be glad to have you as a colleague. Good luck with the new job.