Victoria Beckham 'Woman of the decade' - is this award justified?

Comments

• tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just can't picture Hilary Clinton rocking up to collect her glamour award...
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    As many of you may be aware Victoria Beckham has been awarded the title 'woman of the decade' in the Glamour awards. The voters also chose the Saturdays as 'Best Band' and Mylene Klass as 'entrepeneur of the year'.:eek::D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2336004/Victoria-Beckham-named-Woman-Of-The-Decade-leads-fashion-pack-Glamour-Awards.html

I nearly fell off my chair laughing - but do you think Victoria Beckham is deserving of this title over say:

Hillary Clinton - first US woman Secretary of State
    Aung San Suu Kyi - who has fought for democracy in Burma
    Angelina Jolie

and others?

Probably the choice of vacuous young women without a serious thought between them. Not to be taken seriously.

For entertainment purposes only.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    She's not a nobody. She used to be a Spice Girl:p

As if that is an achievement. VB just got lucky.

The day I post a song by The Spice Girls in the music forum, consider I've lost the plot and must be on something.
    Simply asking why she's so despised. As far as I can see she's done nothing to deserve the level of hatred directed at her. Do enlighten me as to her crimes if I'm ignorant of them, please.

Because there are many much more intelligent people around, who get little or zero recognition, yet some who frankly aren't exactly over brained (like VB), get far more recognition than they deserve.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    If being part of a manufactured pop band and flogging a few dresses off the back of it makes you woman of the decade then a lot of women have a right to be pissed off.

Well, exactly. I had no idea Skeletor had even been in the public eye much over the past few years. One wonders who the other contenders were.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sullen Woman of the Decade I'd get. It obviously can't be the case but she looks as if she has had all the joy sucked out of her.
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma Bunton was the best Spice Girl anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should have awarded her some Burger King vouchers .
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I am the only one who finds "The Saturdays" as best band, the funniest thing about this? :D
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife says some of the stuff in her clothing range is pretty good.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Because there are many much more intelligent people around, who get little or zero recognition, yet some who frankly aren't exactly over brained (like VB), get far more recognition than they deserve.

If that is true, it says more about the public and the press than it does about her.

Plus I'm not sure it is true anyway. It's easy to brand her as being thick or not intelligent, but she has actually been very successful in her own right. I believe she's had a highly successful fashion design career in recent years and has become a successful businesswoman. Now I know sod all about the fashion industry, but I do know that whoever you are, if the stuff you're selling is no good, people won't buy it.

Hers doesn't sound like the career of someone unintelligent to me.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just another pointless award to stroke the ego of celebrities,

Exactly. Does it matter? No. Moving on.......
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member

It's a damn glamour award :p Why would you take the results of it seriously? I'm not sure the idea is about celebrating fantastic intellect to be honest. Perhaps look at Noble prize winners instead? :D
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like VB.,she always come across well in interviews and doesn't seen to take herself too seriously
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody would think she'd graced the cover of TIME magazine as their person of the decade at this rate. Person in fashion and showbiz receives Glamour Award, hardly a major shock is it?
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As many of you may be aware Victoria Beckham has been awarded the title 'woman of the decade' in the Glamour awards. The voters also chose the Saturdays as 'Best Band' and Mylene Klass as 'entrepeneur of the year'.:eek::D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2336004/Victoria-Beckham-named-Woman-Of-The-Decade-leads-fashion-pack-Glamour-Awards.html

I nearly fell off my chair laughing - but do you think Victoria Beckham is deserving of this title over say:

Hillary Clinton - first US woman Secretary of State
    Aung San Suu Kyi - who has fought for democracy in Burma
    Angelina Jolie

and others?

If it hadn't been the Glamour Awards, I would have agreed with you but the clue is in the title of the awards. ;) I don't think Victoria is a natural in front of the camera, she rarely smiles and has this look on her face as if she's paranoid of having a bad photo taken but generally, she dresses quite well.

Angelina Jolie is over-rated, more worthy of attention than Victoria but she's no Hilary Clinton.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    Emma Bunton was the best Spice Girl anyway.

I remember Mel B wearing a green t-shirt showing her erect nipples very clearly. It was cold apparently. This was in the video for 'Wanna Be' that was filmed on location down at a disused hotel located at St. Pancras, London, but now has been re-instated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and she's going to celebrate by getting a new facial expression
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Mel B wearing a green t-shirt showing her erect nipples very clearly. It was cold apparently. This was in the video for 'Wanna Be' that was filmed on location down at a disused hotel located at St. Pancras, London, but now has been re-instated.

You would.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always thought that the "men think about sex every 7 seconds thing" was a ridiculous claim, but now I see who's been bumping up the averages. :rolleyes:
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As many of you may be aware Victoria Beckham has been awarded the title 'woman of the decade' in the Glamour awards. The voters also chose the Saturdays as 'Best Band' and Mylene Klass as 'entrepeneur of the year'.:eek:
    That made me laugh.
    If whichever pointess organisation considers she is, then who are we to disagree? Why shouldn't they award her WOTD? Their game, their rules. Do you also quibble over FHM's Sexiest Woman, or the MTV Movie Awards Best Kiss?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it's not justified. Even as a media award there are obviously better candidates.

I live in the same street as a female scientist who has invented a way for brain tumours to be picked up on a scan almost as soon as they are formed. Her work will save lives. I only found out about it through a mutual friend after years of knowing her. Isn't it odd that the people doing the really important things in our country are mostly anonymous, yet Posh became famous in a pop group despite not being able to sing or dance, and gets lauded to the skies for designing (or helping to design) dresses?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you can actually see girls breasts properly if you want. I mean the lot

try the internet, or if you're lucky and ask really nicely, in real life
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    or if you're lucky and ask really nicely, in real life

Don't give him any ideas!
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a crap singer that married a rich footballer and spat out a few stupidly named kids.

It's that simple.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno about the award not being justified, but some of the comments I've read about her, here and in the past, are certainly not justified. Anyone would think the woman was a mass murderer for Christ's sake. What has she done that's bad enough to deserve such vitriol? :confused:
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    Awww, are you a fan? :D

I think Hugh Jboobs makes a good point. I am at a loss to understand why VB is so despised as well. From what I can tell, she generally seems a nice enough woman, who loves her family and has never been seen falling out of nightclubs with half her clothes undone, and out of her box on drink or drugs. I'm not a particular fan of hers, but I see little reason to dislike her so strongly.

Whether or not she deserves that award - I don't think she deserves the award for woman of the decade because there are women out there doing far more important work every single day - but honestly, who really takes these awards seriously? I mean The Saturdays as best band???? I doubt that people would seriously consider ANY of the awards given as being justified.