I have planned for the day I die if I'm in hospital.

Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yes I have it all planned, if I'm in hospital then I want no family with me as I pass, no matter what they say or want I don't want them sitting watching me pass on.

It's not selfish it's my wish and they have to respect it, they have all been told and have grudgingly accepted its what I want. I have witnessed many patients pass on through my job and I'd rather spare my relatives the pain of sitting watching me die.

Hopefully I'll die suddenly and during sleep, I'm not afraid of dying as I feel its the last true great adventure we will all eventually have as we transverse into the afterlife.

Comments

• BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit morbid for 3 o clock in the morning.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit morbid for 3 o clock in the morning.

Just back from dealing with a patient who passed and got me thinking about the discussion I had with the family, this is the time when the body is at its lowest ebb and prime for passing over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to log off I think.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never thought about this. What have your family said about this, I know they should respect your wishes but when it comes to that time they'll be too emotional to think and will want to be with you.
  • HiMyNameIsHiMyNameIs Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have it all planned, if I'm in hospital then I want no family with me as I pass, no matter what they say or want I don't want them sitting watching me pass on.

It's not selfish it's my wish and they have to respect it, they have all been told and have grudgingly accepted its what I want. I have witnessed many patients pass on through my job and I'd rather spare my relatives the pain of sitting watching me die.

Hopefully I'll die suddenly and during sleep, I'm not afraid of dying as I feel its the last true great adventure we will all eventually have as we transverse into the afterlife.

A relative of mine died quite recently and I've been thinking about the day I die too, where I'd be buried, where I have my funeral. I think it's quite natural at times like these. I don't think your wishes are selfish at all. If you have the opportunity to plan your death and the subsequent events, go for it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent the last 3 weeks with my dad in a hospice and my brother the same. I didn't want them to die.

Saddest days of my life. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I have a life threating illness and I hope I go quietly and my wife doesn't suffer.
  • HiMyNameIsHiMyNameIs Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I spent the last 3 weeks with my dad in a hospice and my brother the same. I didn't want them to die.

I have a life threating illness and I hope I go quietly and my wife doesn't suffer.

Really sorry to hear that. :(

Best wishes to you and your family!
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine had the death I would want for myself. He was in the pub, had had a few, and someone told him something really, really, funny. He had a massive heart attack and died more or less instantly. The doctor that did the PM reckoned he was probably dead before he hit the ground.

What a way to go - instantly, in a pub, surrounded by your mates and having a good laugh.

Shocking for the people with him, though. They thought he'd just fallen off the bar stool and just took the piss for a couple of minutes before they realised something was up.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to go lying regally in a bed with my family weeping and wailing around me. I'll make a final speech and then elegantly slip away. Actually, I hope I just fall asleep and don't wake up.
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My family will all be around me, wanting to know where all the money is.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    When Stalin was dying he went into a coma and people who had stayed away from him for years (out of sight, out of mind) out of fear that he might send them to a gulag or have them executed, came to openly pay their respects at his bedside.

As they were all gathered there he suddenly opened his eyes - which made them all gasp and reel back in horror - as if he was about to shout, "YOU!! YOU BASTARDS - GUARDS - SEND THEM ALL TO THE SALT MINES."

But that didn't happen. He closed his eyes again - and just died.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that, although relatives might be upset with a decision, the right to make choices around your death should be yours and yours alone. Some people don't get the chance to do it but you don't get to choose how you come into the world. It's not much to ask to choose how you leave it. I'm not talking about suicide- that's a more complex issue- just the wishes people have around the eventual certainty of death and how they would like things to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would absolutely break my heart if anyone I loved were to die alone.

I appreciate that the OP doesn't want thier family to have to 'suffer' the trauma of watching them die - but I imagine, for his or her family - that *that* would be far preferable to however your final lonely moments would play out in thier imaginations.

I was with my Mother when she died - and yes, it was the most ghastly, harrowing moment of my life. But I can cope with it, knowing that my being there with her, helped ease her passing. That I was of comfort to her. That she wasn't all alone.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know some people think it's a morbid subject but we're all in the queue to die so thinking about what we'd like should the worst happen, and telling someone of our wishes is probably something we should all do.

A slightly different situation but a family friend died suddenly a few years ago, she was in her 50s, as fit as a fiddle, extremely slim, and would ride a push bike daily. She was sat in her kitchen late one evening reading a book when she had a heart attack and died. Her husband heard her hit the floor and rushed to her but she was already gone. In the days that followed her husband was going through paperwork etc when he found letters in a box she had written for her loved ones. She'd written one each for her husband and kids and also left details of what she wanted at her funeral and where she wanted her ashes scattered. Her death was obviously very sudden and she'd written these letters purely in case anything should ever happen to her. But knowing exactly what she wanted made it much easier for her family.

None of us knows when our time will be up, I could be hit by a bus tomorrow or diagnosed with a terminal illness. I was in a situation earlier this year that was dangerously close to being life threatening. Just a normal day that could've easily ended in tragedy. It made me think about my own life and mortality a lot - if I hadn't been found when I was I probably wouldn't be here now waffling away in this post! I'll leave it for my family to decide if they want to be with me when my time comes. I don't like the thought of my kids watching me die - it was distressing enough for them to witness what happened to me earlier this year, but if they wanted to be there then I would accept that. They're the ones who will be left behind when I'm gone, I wouldn't want them spending the rest of their lives wishing they had been with me.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    My mother died at home 20 years next month. She died in her own bed, in her own home with her family around her...just before she passed I got onto to the bed with her and cuddled her and held her tight as she passed away.

She was peaceful and where she wanted to be.

All these years later the peacefulness and dignity of her passing bring me and other members of my family great comfort.
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HiMyNameIs wrote: »
    A relative of mine died quite recently and I've been thinking about the day I die too, where I'd be buried, where I have my funeral. I think it's quite natural at times like these. I don't think your wishes are selfish at all. If you have the opportunity to plan your death and the subsequent events, go for it!

A family member of mine died exactly 2 months ago today & had made wishes a few months beforehand I believe. (I say I believe as I don't know when they were made). I told both my parents that they need to have a rough idea soon of what they want. We know what my Mum would like, just waiting on my Dad lol.
  • Rocket QueenRocket Queen Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

Am really sorry to hear what you've been through, and what faces you,my oh has 'joked' about what he wants today when he dies, I've just sat here an said yeah, but tbh, it scares the shite out me..
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Last great adventure? Gasping for breath, pain, drowning in our own fluids, fear, confusion, drifting in and out of consciousness and probably feeling like you've been going through all this your whole life... I wish I had your mindset!
  • McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not afraid of dying as I feel its the last true great adventure
    we will all eventually have as we transverse into the afterlife.

Looking at death through rose-tinted glasses?
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    The only plan I've made for my death, is that I want my last words to be "and the treasure is hidden... urk!"
  • Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is no afterlife, you have been watching too much science fiction. Like before you were born so you will be when you die

nothing
  • LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow did i write this? you have echoed my exact sentiments, especially about having absolutely zero fear of death and the incredible adventure of the afterlife to come.
    Also I'd rather not have any kind of funeral service and just be cremated by professional undertakers with no relatives, eulogies etc.
  • LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no afterlife, you have been watching too much science fiction. Like before you were born so you will be when you die

nothing

One day, though I'll not hold my breath, one of you atheists might come up with a decent explanation of how inanimate physical matter can create awareness.
    Physical matter as a property is wholly inanimate, it has no ability to perceive or be aware, but if you throw enough of it together then it magically has the power to perceive, it becomes conscious.

The irony is that atheists believe in a miracle that even God could not manage - they believe in a universe that came from nothing, a 'something' created from total non-existence.
    And they accuse others of believing in fairy tales.;)
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I've told my family what music I want to be listening to when I die if it is a hospital room/home death bed situation, but other then that I'm letting them decide if they want to be there. When my Nana died a couple of years ago I didn't want to be in the hospital room but other members of the family did.
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My feelings too. I don't want people, family or otherwise gawking at me, I'm too private for that.

My mother died 5 years ago. It was expected but we weren't sure when it would happen. On the last weekend [unbeknown to us at the time] all 3 of us children visited her, me on the Saturday and she was very calm, smiling and told me she loved me [very unusual!] and of course vice versa, it was a lovely visit. Sister visited on the Sunday, as did my brother as he was going away the next day.
    She died on the Monday morning, with a nurse there with her. I was at home 25 miles away, sister at work, brother travelling. I was very upset but on reflection this would have suited her very well, she'd made her farewells and let us lead our lives without bothering us, and she was very private. She also found it easier to relate to strangers during difficult situations. It may seem bizarre to some but I think this was the passing she wanted.