Andy Murray and Kim Sears - Burberry's new mixed doubles team

Comments

• milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy Murray isn't ugly, he has a six pack under that shirt these days...He just looks ordinary..at least he doesn't look like Shrek or need a hair transplant....As for the advertising, he is contracted to Addidas for tennis clothes, so at the most it will be a sown on badge...actual modelling would be distracting, especially when he needs to thinking about defending his US Open title in six weeks..His main priority right now is winning titles and getting to no1, which he could be if he does well at the US Open....No worse than Federer advertising razors...
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    Andy Murray isn't ugly, he has a six pack under that shirt these days...He just looks ordinary..at least he doesn't look like Shrek or need a hair transplant....As for the advertising, he is contracted to Addidas for tennis clothes, so at the most it will be a sown on badge...actual modelling would be distracting, especially when he needs to thinking about defending his US Open title in six weeks..His main priority right now is winning titles and getting to no1, which he could be if he does well at the US Open....No worse than Federer advertising razors...

Hair is the least thing that contributes to a guy's attractiveness ...buzz cuts/shaved heads can be very sexy if you have a good looking face.
    Andy would actually look much better if he shaved off his mop.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    That's a bit rude to call someone ugly :(

You are right, Fair enough, I take it back, he's not ugly in Rooney proportions , so it's a bit unfair to call him ugly, he's simply ordinary like the other poster said. I just do not find him at all attractive, and for a sportsmen he does not even have a body that impressive
    I simply find this idea of the media turning him into some sort heartthrob a la Beckham quite pathetic, he's great tennis player and that should be enough, why does he need also to be seen as some of object of desire when he's clearly not cut for it it's stupid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Viridiana wrote: »
    You are right, Fair enough, I take it back, he's not ugly in Rooney proportions , so it's a bit unfair to call him ugly, he's simply ordinary like the other poster said. I just do not find him at all attractive, and for a sportsmen he does not even have a body that impressive
    I simply find this idea of the media turning him into some sort heartthrob a la Beckham quite pathetic, he's great tennis player and that should be enough, why does he need also to be seen as some of object of desire when he's clearly not cut for it it's stupid.

:yawn:

Many sports people advertise products whilst still at the top of their game. Kevin Pieterson, Tiger Woods, Usain Bolt etc Louis Hamilton has virtually got Santander written through his body like a stick of rock!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Hair is the least thing that contributes to a guy's attractiveness ...buzz cuts/shaved heads can be very sexy if you have a good looking face.
    Andy would actually look much better if he shaved off his mop.
    Tennis Players tend to be superstitious about things like cutting hair...as someone that has curly hair myself, I object to the notion that shaving it off it the best way to have it....I find hair very attractive on a man..Federer has great hair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For somee people he might be a heart throb and you can see under is shirt he is now seriously fit..it is the single thing that he has improved on, that has improved his game and enabled him to beat Djokovic, who is also very, very fit...
    Djokovic isn't a classic heart throb either in the Federer or Rafa way but he is a huge star in Serbia......Andy may have trouble with representing a clothing company, as well as Addidas...He is their no1 star right now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until the question marks in these rumours disappear along with the words allegedly, reportedly, is rumoured to be, then they haven't signed for them. In the meantime it is good publicity for Burberry without them having to spend anything at all.

However, whatever happens, Andy Murray will find he is much more in demand for sponsorships, promotional work etc now he is a double slam winner as well as one of the top two tennis players in the world - Simon Fuller has presumably been taken on to choose the ones that bring in the most money/cachet for the least committment in time for AM.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy is a giver of his time and money both publicly and privately so I expect he will want to raise as much money as possible while he can for the various causes and charities he supports.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For somee people he might be a heart throb and you can see under is shirt he is now seriously fit..it is the single thing that he has improved on, that has improved his game and enabled him to beat Djokovic, who is also very, very fit...
    Djokovic isn't a classic heart throb either in the Federer or Rafa way but he is a huge star in Serbia......Andy may have trouble with representing a clothing company, as well as Addidas...He is their no1 star right now.

BIB - a lot of tennis players have deals with non-sporting clothing companies. I don't know what they involve as I don't generally pay much attention, but I remember something about Tsonga signing a deal with Tommy Hilfigger recently, and he's also with Addidas. I suspect Andy only wears their stuff around and about so much because they send him stuff and he can avoid going shopping!

I think it's important to remember that being a "brand ambassador" or whatever it's called, is not the same thing as being a model. The best contracts with the big sports clothing companies go to the top athletes, especially if they are from a key market. Looks only come into play for the lower ranked players.

I know it's a bit different for the women. Being good, and from a primary market country is still important, but being pretty makes a much bigger difference, and that's because men have different priorities when buying sports clothes compared with women.

Andy's already been sat on the front row of a couple of Burberry fashion shows, and someone from their company was talking about him in his documentary, so they clearly see him as someone who they'd like to be associated with. I can't see any deal being a big one - he won't want the distraction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Originally Posted by Viridiana
    Murray is just ugly, is not that he was once good looking, is simply a case of trying very hard to simply make him good looking. Not working though.:D[/QUOTE]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    That won't happen as Andy as a model is a joke. He is simply not good looking enough to be a model .

Burberry is putting their money where their mouth is, so its unlikely that they will be influenced by your prediction.:rolleyes:
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    .Originally Posted by Viridiana
    Murray is just ugly, is not that he was once good looking, is simply a case of trying very hard to simply make him good looking. Not working though.:D
    [/QUOTE]

And you're an oil painting yourself I take it, Anyone ever tell there's something downright immature about talling someone else ugly - and it's not true. Andy Murray's a fairly ordinary looking bloke albet in better condition physically than the man in the street and I kinda like him for that - I don't think he's under any illusions about being a male model - he's just I think raising his profile and having a bit of fun with the status of being a tennis champ - good luck to him.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    And you're an oil painting yourself I take it, Anyone ever tell there's something downright immature about talling someone else ugly - and it's not true. Andy Murray's a fairly ordinary looking bloke albet in better condition physically than the man in the street and I kinda like him for that - I don't think he's under any illusions about being a male model - he's just I think raising his profile and having a bit of fun with the status of being a tennis champ - good luck to him.

To be fair, the showbiz forum is there to poke fun at celebrities, it's not an appreciation forum. Also, whether posters are uglier than Murray or not is irrelevant as they are not modelling for Burberry (mainly because posters are not famous).

I don't know anyone who fancies Murray. That doesn't mean no one does (certainly Kim does :p) but it seems to be a smaller proportion than for the likes of the other top tennis players.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member

And you're an oil painting yourself I take it, Anyone ever tell there's something downright immature about talling someone else ugly - and it's not true. Andy Murray's a fairly ordinary looking bloke albet in better condition physically than the man in the street and I kinda like him for that - I don't think he's under any illusions about being a male model - he's just I think raising his profile and having a bit of fun with the status of being a tennis champ - good luck to him.[/QUOTE]

I'm not particularly pretty but since I'm not thinking of becoming model i do not know why my "beauty":D is important. Thank you for informing me that only beautiful people can think of others people as ugly nowdays.

Murray as a model is just a funny concept, and all the airbrushing going on to make the chiseled look is laughable.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »
    Burberry is putting their money where their mouth is, so its unlikely that they will be influenced by your prediction.:rolleyes:

Well little Romeo Beckham helped give them "boosted sales" http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5006879/Burberry-sales-boosted-by-Romeo-Beckham-adverts.html

i somehow doubt average Joe will do that. And by that i mean his looks. He is a great tennis player but he has no personality and is average looking at best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    Well little Romeo Beckham helped give them "boosted sales" http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5006879/Burberry-sales-boosted-by-Romeo-Beckham-adverts.html

i somehow doubt average Joe will do that. And by that i mean his looks. He is a great tennis player but he has no personality and is average looking at best.

He has more personality than Lewis Hamilton....Andy has the character to see Djokovic and see what he need to do to keep up with him and challange him, rather than say he is too good for me...Andy has the strength of character too work so hard to be the very best, that is better than a dazzling personality, if it gets him to No1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Neck down it's good, but the face...urgh...the face...
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Andy is looking sexier than before...

Success and wealth can do that to a man.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do male models have to be heartthrobs? Judging by Burberry's ads over the last several years nobody's informed them of this fact.
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Do male models have to be heartthrobs? Judging by Burberry's ads over the last several years nobody's informed them of this fact.

Well, they are not exactly my cup of tea to be honest.
    But yeah they are what passes for good looking men
    for this new generation, that why they were chosen in the first place (well and because nepotism is alive and well).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy is not the only one to go through a transformation.

Compare the new Federer versus the old Federer.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Tennis Players tend to be superstitious about things like cutting hair...as someone that has curly hair myself, I object to the notion that shaving it off it the best way to have it....I find hair very attractive on a man..Federer has great hair.

He used to, but Murray's hair is a boring colour and not at all attractive. Plus he's going very thin so it'll only be a matter of time before he either shaves it off or gets a transplant.
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,383
    Forum Member
    That's not fair. Kate Moss is Kate Moss, because she absolutely stunning when she was a young girl, absolutely perfect facial structure, not because she was airbrushed to look stunning.
    Now they airbrush her because they still want to have her in their campaigns, because she sells, even though she does not look at all like in the old days.
    Murray is just ugly, is not that he was once good looking, is simply a case of trying very hard to simply make him good looking. Not working though.:D

Kate Moss required a great deal of airbrushing even years ago - her skin was terrible long before she got lined. She has good bone structure (as does Murray) which is a prerequisite for good photographs. Personally I think Murray is more attractive than a lot of sportsmen - he's not disfigured by tatoos and got his own unadulterated teeth and hair for a start. But modelling for a fashion house like Burberry is much more about a particular look (they like English/Celtic looking models for a start) rather than people being bowled over by their sex appeal. I think these two have that look.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought Henman was very attractive and was surprised he didn't get more endorsements than he did