Options

you always get people saying "i hate my job" have you ever had a job you hated?

Comments

• Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I did call centre work too, cold calling people via an automatic dialler, and asking them whether they wanted to sell their homes. It was evening work, whilst at uni. I lasted 3 weeks. Being told to eff off a dozen times a night did nothing for my self esteem. Hats off to call centre workers who can stick it, it's tough. Even McDonalds is better.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Local garden centre last year, where I had two bosses fighting over me on what tasks I had to do. One boss said do this, other boss would come up to me and say no you do that then the first one would come back and say why did I leave his job and I had to keep explaining it was because the other boss said her job for me was more important and that it had to be done there and then.

I lasted two months when I told them to f**k off and walked out. To date it was the worst place Ive worked at! the other colleagues were awful and I caught one of them red handed slagging me off on facebook, she blocked on there and was really nasty to me about it afterwards. When we had hot weather it was like 40c in the place! the uniform didnt fit me even though I asked for the right size I looked like I hadnt been well because my shirt was so baggy! of course they wouldn't change it so I looked a right tit!

I wasnt proud to be working there and have vowed never to work in such a place again. Luckily my new promotions admin job starts in a month :D
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    I'm a free spirit, I naturally want to do what I want, when I want.

You can't survive comfortably without a job and that's why I work. I could never enjoy having to do compulsory, tedious tasks everyday which is basically every job out there when my imagination is going wild, listing all the better, more enjoyable or productive things I could be doing with my day. I know so many people who are in pain, dying or have grown too old to enjoy life. Every day of health, especially in summer is a gift and work (which must be done) is a massive thorn in my life.

If I had enough money, I would never work again.

You're hardly unique. I doubt many people would work given enough money.I work because I want to continue to live in my little cottage, drive my car, go on holiday 3 or 4 times a year, and have nice stuff around me. Superficial maybe. But it makes me happy. And working gives me the option of happiness rather than the alternative.
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    Being a room attendant for Premier Inn, terrible at it, despite being there for nearly two years, I couldn't clean the rooms within the designated time, iirc 10 minutes for a make/change and 15 for a departure. Some of the guests were lovely, others were just so dirty and mucky. Hated it, every day relieved that I'd finished and then as the day turned into evening, the dread that I'd be there again in a few hours. Added to the fact, that I was always being made ill from something I was picking up at the hotel, and would also routinely sob my eyes out on the way home. No idea why I stuck it for so long.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    Everyone I have known that has worked a call centre has said never again. I think from the tellings I would rather eat road kill.

I would have to be desperate for money to do it again. Now I know what I know about them.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked for the NHS until recently, I didn't hate my job. Just the idiots running it.

If I won the lottery, I would sit on my harris and gorge myself on fine wine and food and never work again. None of this wouldn't give up work nonsense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes, But I start my new job on Monday, I managed to escape. Factory work as mentioned before is the most horrible experience ever, I took any job when I got made redundant and that just happened to be factory work, You are treated like total shit, I developed depressed, lost 2 stone weight, had IBS the list could go on, no one should ever have to go through that.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One job I had I hated, although it was more to do with the way things worked and the people around me.

It wasn't the actual 'job' per-sey that I hated, if it had been possible to do it by myself and be left to get on with it things probably would have been fine.

I worked in a call-centre too, which I can't 'hate' because it was £7 an hour for pure easiness and ridiculously flexible 4-6 hour shifts. Boring, but a walk in the park, wear your own clothes etc.
  • Options
    marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's bad being unemployed, but it's horrible and stressful to be stuck in a job you literally hate.

It's understandable to want to earn a living and have the ability to afford nice things, but when your health starts deteriorating because of it, it's time to strongly rethink.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I worked briefly in a sort of factory. It was just awful. The work was repetitive and mind-numbing, and my co-workers spent all their time talking about other workers there (I even had the pleasure of hearing them trashing me when they didn't realise I was in the next room with the door open). It paid surprisingly well but the level of nastiness and bullying between the people who worked there was crazy. I used to stay up late at night because I felt like the sooner I went to bed and to sleep, the sooner the morning would come and I'd have to go back there. After work, I would quite often just go home and cry.

I've had no real love for any of the jobs I've done since, but none have ever even come close to being as soul destroying as that one was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked briefly in a sort of factory. It was just awful. The work was repetitive and mind-numbing, and my co-workers spent all their time talking about other workers there (I even had the pleasure of hearing them trashing me when they didn't realise I was in the next room with the door open). It paid surprisingly well but the level of nastiness and bullying between the people who worked there was crazy. I used to stay up late at night because I felt like the sooner I went to bed and to sleep, the sooner the morning would come and I'd have to go back there. After work, I would quite often just go home and cry.

I've had no real love for any of the jobs I've done since, but none have ever even come close to being as soul destroying as that one was.

All factories seem to be the same. Horrible horrible places. Perhaps they should send prisoners there as a form of punishment?

Having been unemployed myself you are better being unemployed then being in a job you hate.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son worked in a prawn factory when he was a student and used to come home absolutely stinking. He had to leave all his clothes and trainers outside because they were overpowering. It was very well paid because he worked fast and the women said he was the fastest worker they ever had.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always makes me laugh when you see blog postings etc on the internet saying that if you are not already doing the job you love, then you should think about what job you would do if you had enough money to not worry about it.

My answer is 'nothing'. I really wouldn't do anything! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always makes me laugh when you see blog postings etc on the internet saying that if you are not already doing the job you love, then you should think about what job you would do if you had enough money to not worry about it.

My answer is 'nothing'. I really wouldn't do anything! :D
    I'm the same. I'm happy doing damn all of truth be told.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes,
    I have worked in a factory which makes donuts and muffins.
    I hated ever second I was there.
    I was put onto a production line with about 12 other blokes, and I was the only English person on the line.
    I couldn't wait to leave to go to a different job.

The Poles have taken over a lot of bakeries.They get quite annoyed when a non Polish person starts.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my job now as I own the company so is by virtue of that, doing what I love. However I had a few part time jobs through college and uni.

1. I'm not sure what it was I did, it was a farm which prepared flowers and stuff for garden centres. Pay was shit, work was boring but it was a bit of a laugh as a few lads and girls I went to school with were there. It was literally through the summer before I started college when I was 16.

2. In a factory, putting ready meal pots on a line every Saturday and Sunday morning. Pay was actually quite good, work was the most mind numbing thing in the world and anyone who says old women can't be guilty of sexual harassment has never stepped foot in a place like that, I was getting touched and groped frequently. It wasn't much fun at 16-17 having old, manky types grabbing your butt and asking if I wanted to "fill their hole"; a pun based on putting pots into slots on the line.

Didn't like that.

3. Working in a supermarket, was a bit boring at times but it was alright.

Then started doing freelance stuff and that was cool. #2 was the worst for so many reasons.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were times when I hated being a domicilary care assistant. There was this one lady who was bed bound and quite big and her husband would feed her nothing but curries which of course didn't sit well with her bowels, we were forever washing and changing her.

There was an ex-homeless alcoholic lady's flat we had to clean and her kitchen was full of gone off food and full of maggots. It was grim.

The company was very badly organised at the time. The jobs were spaced out throughout the day so I was in and out all the time and constantly felt unsettled. The manager ended up having a nervous breakdown as she couldn't cope and some other people took over who I hear run it very well now.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    The Poles have taken over a lot of bakeries.They get quite annoyed when a non Polish person starts.

Not just Poles. It was like the United Nations in there.
    I'd be trying to do my job, look over at them and they'd be looking at me, sniggering and talking between each other in whatever language it was they were using.
  • Options
    breakofdawnbreakofdawn Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I hate my current job. I am literally only staying in it because I need the money and as soon as I get a job (any job!) elsewhere I'll be out and will never look back! It's waitressing, and I don't like working with customers anyway but it is made worse by having managers from hell. No breaks, not even for a quick bite to eat regardless of how long you've been working (on one occasion I did a 12 hour shift with no break at all). Barely a day goes by that I don't get screamed at by a manager for something irrelevant (admittedly my attitude is poor at this stage but it didn't start out that way, honest!). I try to make the best of it because I really need the money and it's not a job I'll be stuck in forever, but it is so difficult sometimes and I often feel ill and a deep sense of dread before shifts which isn't a good sign!

Other jobs I've had though I've either loved or just liked, I've never felt so negatively about a job before. It does also give me hope that nowhere I work from now on can possibly be as bad, so that's a nice bit of hope to cling onto! Lol. :)
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate my current job. I am literally only staying in it because I need the money and as soon as I get a job (any job!) elsewhere I'll be out and will never look back! It's waitressing, and I don't like working with customers anyway but it is made worse by having managers from hell. No breaks, not even for a quick bite to eat regardless of how long you've been working (on one occasion I did a 12 hour shift with no break at all). Barely a day goes by that I don't get screamed at by a manager for something irrelevant (admittedly my attitude is poor at this stage but it didn't start out that way, honest!). I try to make the best of it because I really need the money and it's not a job I'll be stuck in forever, but it is so difficult sometimes and I often feel ill and a deep sense of dread before shifts which isn't a good sign!

Other jobs I've had though I've either loved or just liked, I've never felt so negatively about a job before. It does also give me hope that nowhere I work from now on can possibly be as bad, so that's a nice bit of hope to cling onto! Lol. :)

BIB: This is illegal. You're entitled to a 20 minute break if you work more than 6 hours.
    https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/overview
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not just Poles. It was like the United Nations in there.
    I'd be trying to do my job, look over at them and they'd be looking at me, sniggering and talking between each other in whatever language it was they were using.

Guy I know.His son started in a bakery.Been on the dole for a while.Wanted to give it his best shot.Everyone ignored him and spoke in Polish,even on the breaks.Next day he took his I pod in so he wouldn't have to listen to them.
    In the end,he chucked it.The Poles made it clear he was unwelcome in 'their' factory.
    Yeah DS lefties,this is how it is for your fellow Brits.Are you still ok with it?.I'd imagine so.:(
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a room attendant for Premier Inn, terrible at it, despite being there for nearly two years, I couldn't clean the rooms within the designated time, iirc 10 minutes for a make/change and 15 for a departure. Some of the guests were lovely, others were just so dirty and mucky. Hated it, every day relieved that I'd finished and then as the day turned into evening, the dread that I'd be there again in a few hours. Added to the fact, that I was always being made ill from something I was picking up at the hotel, and would also routinely sob my eyes out on the way home. No idea why I stuck it for so long.

I've been a room attendant for almost 10yrs, few months break Inbetween (seasonal work) & in 3 hotels. 2nd one I was there for 6years & I hated it the last few years, so much to do in the time, 10 mins stay over & we'd have like 30 of them for 5hrs money. Last Manager was a bullying B too & still is from what I hear. 15 Mins for a departure is shocking actually, seems impossible, remind me never to go work for Premier Inn. I've been at my new hotel for 6 months now & things are so much better but yeah there's times where I really do hate my job & feel like crying cos of the mess people cause & annoying guests. If I could give this up & do something else than I would as soon as.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a job replenishing coffee machines in an office block. As soon as I finished the last machine on the round, the first one would be empty again.

It was like being on a merry-go-round, and the smell of the slops in the bucket were putrid. Of course every problem and gripe from the office workers was directed at me as I was the only one around.

That was over 25 years ago, and I needed the money. So I did it for 18 months. God it was mind-numbingly tedious.

I had worked in a few factories before this job, and they were even worse. 8 hours a day manually pressing bearings in to con-rods, and de-burring pistons, and assembling field coils. :(:) The best thing was the people. So down to earth, and I still know some of them to this day. :)
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Factory work is tedious and mind numbing but at least when I did it, it paid fairly well. These days though it's mostly minimum wage thanks to all the cheap foreign labour.

I also worked in social housing. It used to really annoy me seeing how some people treated the properties. Some people would literally wreck the property and then come in demanding to be rehoused as it was against their "rights" to have to live in a mess. If they were rehoused, they usually just wrecked the next property they moved into as well and expected us to fix it up
  • Options
    EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Nearly everyone says it but I really do hate my job.

I hate the early mornings, the people and the job is tedious boring. I've been there for 8 years so maybe that's the reason behind it all, I just feel unmotivated and the thought of Mondays coming round sickens me.

As much as I'd really like to look for a new job, I've become stuck in the same routine and the thought of unsettling that kind of worries me.

I was in this exact same situation last summer. However like me you really need to find the motivation to find a new job as I'm so much happier now.

Ok so the new job has frustrations but I'm so glad I made the move as I don't have the sick feeling every morning and just for that alone it was worth the utter pain in the arse that it was applying for jobs.