Options

1970s childhood...

Comments

• Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    i too had a mahoosive crush on pam dawber. Just googled her and she hasn't really changed even though she's 62.

she is also married to Mark Harmon who, ironically, I apparently resemble.
    I've had the hugest crush on Mark Harmon since I first saw him in St Elsewhere back in 1983, swoooooooooooooooon

Maybe you two should arrange a date. :D
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Frillynix wrote: »

Western series with Tim Matheson and kurt Russell, forgotten the name

I loved it too, it was called The Quest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ppGSsjv3Ms&list=PL491DAC50DC6AAC79

Playing Knockdown Ginger
    That ' I'm a Secret lemonade Drinker' ad
    Anyone remember Rich Man Poor man? :D
    Tinned pie :D
    Tinned fruit salad with carnation milk
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you two should arrange a date. :D

i don't think Mrs P2O would approve ;)
  • Options
    Valene1Valene1 Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Penny Puppy Walker - watched the ads and wanted but only played with a neighbour's
    Playground skipping games - Cowboy Joe from Mexico......, Rosy Apple lemon tart.....
    Mother Makes Three/Five
    Primary school age - played freely all around Islington in the parks and nearby streets during school holidays - unfortunately, I never gave my son the same freedom.
    That strong smelling apple shampoo
    Marcus Welby MD on TV during school holidays
    My Guy magazine photo stories - I loved those.
    Apple fritter stall in Chapel Market, I can still taste them covered with sugar
    Chelsea Girl shop
    No home telephone until 1979
    Every telephone box in Islington seemingly messed up either by urine, vomit, both and ripped phone books. Telephone boxes are probably cleaner now than back then.
    Listening to Radio Luxembourg until it closed at around 3am.
    Motorcycles with sidecars still around
    Quieter city roads
    Seasonal fruit, nice smelling oranges and satsumas around Christmas time with roasted chestnuts too
    Getting sent a pound from Cadbury after collecting wrappers or something as part of their anniversary/celebrations (probably early/mid 70s).
    Black Magic man - never met anyone like that :(
    Any programme aimed at young people Supersonic pop show, TOTP, Pauline Quirke's show etc

And lots of others already mentioned in other posts.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can remember in the early70s a scary kids TV programme with a boy and a girl trapped in an old house surrounded by big stones that had eyes in them, and a full moon. Can't remember what it was called but it was scary.
    There was another scary kids programme on as well with an alien kid who had funny eyes and the elements kept attacking him.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can remember in the early70s a scary kids TV programme with a boy and a girl trapped in an old house surrounded by big stones that had eyes in them, and a full moon. Can't remember what it was called but it was scary.
    There was another scary kids programme on as well with an alien kid who had funny eyes and the elements kept attacking him.

Children of the Stones?
  • Options
    ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valene1 wrote: »
    Black Magic man - never met anyone like that :(

The Milk Tray man was my favourite. All that effort for some fairly second-rate vegetable-based chocs with poor cocoa %. And no doubt followed up later in the night with the mysterious appearance of a bottle of Blue Nun...
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Children of the Stones?

"Escape Into Night" I think

This exact clip?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eiJ9cKS5Ac

The OP's second memory is probably "Sky".
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Valene1 wrote: »
    That strong smelling apple shampoo

Yes, what the hell was that called? All shampoos till then just smelt vaguely soapy/perfumey, but the apples in that were really strong. You could smell the apples in your hair even after you had rinsed the shampoo off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Thank you for identifying that perfume. I was rushed to hospital after drinking that. I remember the packaging and all, but no one could remember the name. Mystery solved. :D

Incidentally, I also was taken to hospital after I was caught drinking from a Old Spice bottle. And again, after I was caught snorting/eating talc powder from a yellow/gold plastic ball with a yellow tassel on top (don't know which brand).

I was a weird toddler as I used to put ridiculous things in my mouth. Grass, snail, whatever. No idea why.
    The talc was called Kiku. I got one as a present and thought I was so sophisticated!! Thanx for the memory!
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Sambda wrote: »
    Yes, what the hell was that called? All shampoos till then just smelt vaguely soapy/perfumey, but the apples in that were really strong. You could smell the apples in your hair even after you had rinsed the shampoo off.

Was it Vosene? I remember that one had a strong smell, can't remember if it was of apples though.:D
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    i was 4 in 1970 :p

Me too! I was 4-14 in the seventies and (IMO) it was a brilliant time to grow up.
    I could have the rose tinted glasses on though, lol!
    What are Geordie Jeans? Anything like this?

OMG I've never seen that before :D (going to watch it properly later.) Thanks for posting!

Geordie Jeans was a chain of jeans shops in the NE which first appeared in the later '70s, you were nobody at school if you didn't have a pair of them! My favourites had round pockets on the back with zips through. I remember going to the Shields Road store in Byker on Saturday mornings to neb around and decide which ones I was going to sting my dad for next :D They were quite cheap IIRC and had a GJ logo on the back. When they opened in Newcastle centre there were queues around the block and they only let people in 6 at time! Affordable denim and a good cut - quite trailblazing at the time IIRC.
    ninz39 wrote: »
    Anyone who was anyone had a pair of clackers.......the news said they were dangerous and broke girls wrists.....I've still actually got a pair I picked up for 50p on a car boot recently.
    Aaah French skipping........joining loads of elastic bands together.....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh! Clackers -the little b'stards! Nearly broke my knuckles trying to get them to work properly :D
    Mork & Mindy - Pam Dawber was one of my early crushes :blush:
    Happy Days - Heyyyyyy!
    The Six Million Dollar Man - Used to think he was real.
    Tony Hart & Morph.
    Roobarb and Custard

Robin Williams was one of mine :blush:

Mind you, it was Mork I fell in love with not the actor.

Nanu! Nanu!
    Tales of the Unexpected on a Saturday night, I can still hear the music and see the opening credits, the lady dancing..........some of the stories were freakin scary.

Steptoe and Son

Till desth us do part

Porridge

Rising Damp

Feathercut hairstyles

Elvis dying

I remember in that hot summer of 76, late at night, being at a funfair in Blackpool and Elton John and Kkki Dee's "Don't go breakin my heart" blasting out.........great times!

Classic stuff.

Tales of the Unexpected was epic!
    delazarous wrote: »
    Cresta
    It was frothy man!

The 'cool' white polar bear :cool:

VO5 apple shampoo.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/79/71/d7/7971d73cf5e761c7e182646205ec83f1.jpg

My mam was mad on the stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Escape Into Night" I think

This exact clip?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eiJ9cKS5Ac

The OP's second memory is probably "Sky".

That's it! That's it!
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Babychampoo?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rupert The Bear Titles: http://youtu.be/Qb4G8t1pmb8

The original Rupert Bear with the singing titles :)
  • Options
    Ms ScarlettMs Scarlett Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Queing at the cinema to see Grease - it was on a my local one for about 6 weeks & there were queues every day. One screen I know, but couldn't imagine that today.

Armchair Thriller which scared the hell out of me - the faceless nun sticks in my head - I'm sure this used to be on about 8 o/c - no watershed in those days :o
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Queing at the cinema to see Grease - it was on a my local one for about 6 weeks & there were queues every day. One screen I know, but couldn't imagine that today.

Armchair Thriller which scared the hell out of me - the faceless nun sticks in my head - I'm sure this used to be on about 8 o/c - no watershed in those days :o[/QUOTE

Armchair Thriller I'm certain must have been before 9pm as I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. The opening titles were enough to make me jump. That shadowy figure, the chair, the eerie music and then....the fingers!!! Arghhh.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crown Court was great when you were ill and off school - I wish they would bring it back in prime time.

Just about everything from the 70's has been covered in this thread.

It been great stuff. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I saw a white dog poo last week as it happens. I was amazed.
    So what do the others do?, I thought all dogs `pooed` not just the white ones
    :blush:
  • Options
    FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    peach45 wrote: »
    I loved it too, it was called The Quest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ppGSsjv3Ms&list=PL491DAC50DC6AAC79

Playing Knockdown Ginger
    That ' I'm a Secret lemonade Drinker' ad
    Anyone remember Rich Man Poor man? :D
    Tinned pie :D
    Tinned fruit salad with carnation milk

I completely forgot Rich man Poor man, I hated Falconetti
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely forgot Rich man Poof Man, I hated Falconetti

:D:D How do you play that game, Frilly? ;-):D

Och, you edited your post:):p
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    So what do the others do?, I thought all dogs `pooed` not just the white ones
    :blush:
    Not sure if you're joking or not, but this is what's being talked about.
    :)
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    french elastic.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I saw a white dog poo last week as it happens. I was amazed.

Nothing mysterious about it , Feed your dog on a large Lamb Leg Bone and it will pass a White turd. Our dog often does. Also She doesn't need the Vet to clean her teeth.
  • Options
    alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Playing two balls against the wall
    kerbsies
    Jackie magazine
    Claire Rayner
    Wendy doll
    Big dairy milk in my christmas stocking
    My first portable tv in my room which was black and white with a dial to tune it but at least I could watch Grange Hill which which my Dad was convinced would corrupt me
    Vespa curries
    If you come in you stay in
    Sliding down the slide in the park even though someone always had a horror story about someone doing themselves an injury
    The boys being able to playfight and play football with a leather ball