Options

Are Supermarkets using the law that stops them displaying tobacco to hike their price

MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I normally buy a large tin of rolling tobacco for £14.35 from my local newsagents who is not affected by the law, the tubs are 'flashed' with the price and you can see the price on the display before you buy.

I went to Tesco yesterday where there is no display and you have to ask for a price list, when I got my tobacco it was not a flashed tub and they wanted to make me pay £16.11 for it.

I dunno if its a case of them not having the price flashed ones, or deciding as they don't display tobacco they don't have to actually buy in the flashed tubs to encourage people to buy.

As it was I refused to pay the price and went to my usual shop, where I was told that every time they order the tubs they get the price flashed ones so as far as they are concerned that's the normal retail price.

Has anyone else seen a pattern of higher prices/overcharging in supermarkets since they have had to hide tobacco products

Comments

• Options
    redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed that a pack of cigarettes now contain 19 and not 20.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The price of tobacco moves daily it seems like as they all compete with each other, when i ran a shop i always tried to get PMP's (price marked packs) as people know its not you doing the ripping off and also they use it as a sneaky way to draw your eye to their packet so you'll buy them. Sometimes the non PMP packs can be cheaper but it will be the luck of the draw at the warehouse as to what they have in stock.

Also the last time i looked at an invoice for **** it was only a 4% profit for the retailer roughly with most of the money going straight to the tax man in duty and VAT.