Gary Busey - Entertainment or Exploitation?!?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 950
Forum Member
✭✭
Shame on the CBB team for allowing Gary Busey to enter the house!!! Shear exploitation of a man who is clearly unwell and should not be put in there to be ridiculed! :-(

Comments

• iwholdeniwholden Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see what your saying but he still has free will and with an estimated 500k net worth it looks like he could do with the money. You could have said that about Lauren Harries or many of these celebrities that are not 'all there'.

Good on the guy, I do feel for him though.
  • yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked in wiki and it says the reason he is not totally there is because of an accident in 1988 where he wasn't wearing a helmet. He had some brain damage that he has had since then. I think he is old enough now to know what he should be doing. Okay he seems unwell but that is obviously just the way he is. I hope the other housemates look after him and actually acknowledge him.
  • SpiritedAwaySpiritedAway Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is how Gary makes his money nowadays so I could never call it exploitation. That said, part of Gary is shtick and part of him isn't. I really don't think he should be on a show where the objective is to live with 13 strangers in an unfamiliar house 24 hours a day with no escape.
  • alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel very uncomfortable watching him and it makes me want to switch off, Emma screeching "have you got any idea what you are letting yourself in for" obviously not, what and who do we exploit for reallity TV
  • OldnboldOldnbold Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is a bit of both. He was a fab actor, but must admit I was rather surprised to see him.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    He's always been nuts, but he can look after himself.
  • dtorredtorre Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's been doing the reality show circuit for ages now, he knows what he is doing, he's just a bit bizarre
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    From that entrance .. nearly non entrance ... I don't think he should be in this show. Aswell I don't think Dee should've gone in either ... if she really had or is suffering with severe depression this isn't a good place for her either.

But it is day one so time will tell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cazziekay wrote: »
    From that entrance .. nearly non entrance ... I don't think he should be in this show. Aswell I don't think Dee should've gone in either ... if she really had or is suffering with severe depression this isn't a good place for her either.

Yes am curious about Dee, she was saying earlier she is happy, if she is still depressed then surely she shouldnt be in Big Brother where she is open to scrutiny therefore more depression
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,142
    Forum Member
    He was excellent as Buddy Holly....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    He was excellent as Buddy Holly....

He was brilliant. Such a shame to see whats become of him since
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    lmao. was looking through #CBB tweets

Matthew Davies ‏@MatthewDavies__ 54m
    I feel sorry for Emma having to bear this freak show. #CBB

Saw a familiar face. Now I remember why he was evicted.

Also

Katie Hopkins ‏@KTHopkins 1h
    There is a mental health facility in America searching for a man called Gary. RT if you have seen him #CBB

Wasnt she supposed to be in?

Lots of z-listers tweeting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mystique72 wrote: »
    He was brilliant. Such a shame to see whats become of him since

Yes hey was brilliant but he seemed so vulnerable tonight, I hate to say it, but after the loss of Robin Williams im surprised that a seemingly vulnerable character has gone into the house, but hey all for the ratings, I really hope he finds some strength in the house
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Entertainment or exploitation? I shouldn't think Channel 5 could care less. The 'celebrities' are psych tested and they all know how to get through the tests.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cazziekay wrote: »

Yes I thought the same about Dee, whatever you think about benefits britain, I cant help but think that it was one big pisstake, not that I will vote for her, I will reserve judgement, but to set her up for a fall was dispicable
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary is more with it than the rest of them.

Legand :cool:
  • Flight815-23DFlight815-23D Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »
    Entertainment or exploitation? I shouldn't think Channel 5 could care less. The 'celebrities' are psych tested and they all know how to get through the tests.

Moral or not, his main source of income these days is being batshit crazy on reality shows, has been for several years. That and outrageous tv and radio interviews. If one wants to fault his family for letting it go on, you have to go back a ways, not start with 2014.
  • cool foolcool fool Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    I looked in wiki and it says the reason he is not totally there is because of an accident in 1988 where he wasn't wearing a helmet Okay he seems unwell but that is obviously just the way he is. I hope the other housemates look after him and actually acknowledge him.

. He had some brain damage that he has had since then. I think he is old enough now to know what he should be doing.

Think about what you just wrote there. Thought about it? How much brain damage until you don't know what you are doing. Sheesh. Or in your world does brain damage miraculously diminishes the older you get?
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Isn't this a bit patronising. He may have some issues but he's not thick. He's got a career of reality TV in the USA so why can't he earn some money from it here.

Besides he's an absolute hoot :cool::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    alimi wrote: »
    Yes am curious about Dee, she was saying earlier she is happy, if she is still depressed then surely she shouldnt be in Big Brother where she is open to scrutiny therefore more depression
    alimi wrote: »
    Yes I thought the same about Dee, whatever you think about benefits britain, I cant help but think that it was one big pisstake, not that I will vote for her, I will reserve judgement, but to set her up for a fall was dispicable

Yea I agree this could be a real set back for her and possibly Gary too ... I understand the draw to do the show is the paycheck and the fame reset button but hopefully they are not being exploited and know what they are letting themselves in for as this is the 14th year so should have a goid idea of what they are letting themselves in for.
  • saint paulsaint paul Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Modern day freak show isn't it? :cry:
    I won't be watching any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I watched Gary Busey on Celebrity Rehab a couple of years ago. He had terrible drug addictions that he was trying to overcome but worse still, he was trying to maintain to the other patients that he was not there as a patient himself - but rather to help them. I think he truly believed he had no problems and that he was there in his capacity as a counsellor. It was very sad... I think this might be a bad move for Gary. However, the money is no doubt a big incentive for him.
  • JayDayJayDay Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    It's not exploitation, he is being well paid to appear.

Lets face it the reason no real celebrities are ever on this show is because people only do to either raise their profile, or are desperate for money.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mystique72 wrote: »
    Shame on the CBB team for allowing Gary Busey to enter the house!!! Shear exploitation of a man who is clearly unwell and should not be put in there to be ridiculed! :-(

He was well enough to sign a contract and get some easy money.

Hasbeens are always eager to appear as are non-entities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    He was well enough to sign a contract and get some easy money.

Hasbeens are always eager to appear as are non-entities.

Does this hold true for brain damaged "has beens" too ?