Options

Radio Football Commentators and reporters (2014/15 season)

Comments

• Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 19th August - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off from Carrow Road with Ray Houghton in London

UEFA Champions League Play-Off Round First Leg
    Besiktas v Arsenal - Mike Bovill, with Ray Houghton providing studio-based analysis

Championship
    AFC Bournemouth v Nottingham Forest - Jim Proudfoot
    Birmingham City v Ipswich Town - Geoff Peters
    Blackpool v Brentford - Graham Beecroft
    Bolton Wanderers v Middlesbrough - Dom McGuinness
    Cardiff City v Wigan Athletic - Sam Fleet
    Charlton Athletic v Derby County - Ian Abrahams
    Leeds United v Brighton & Hove Albion - Naz Premji
    Norwich City v Blackburn Rovers - Tony Incenzo and Mark Saggers
    Reading v Huddersfield Town - Oliver Wilson
    Sheffield Wednesday v Millwall - Graham Courtney

It's a double shift for Ian Danter tonight, he's commentating on Besiktas v Arsenal for UEFA.com before presenting talkSPORT's Extra Time from 1am. I don't think his commentary is available on UEFA.com as part of their Champions League Matchday Live radio show, which I believe will begin at the start of the group stage.

Thanks for grabbing the BBC WM and Free Radio 80s details Connor, it is much appreciated.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Wiltshire - Tuesday 19th August

BBC Wiltshire Sport presented by Ian Longdon.

Sky Bet League 1
    Gillingham vs Swindon Town - Commentary by Andrew Hawes and Rob Hartley.

Calor League Premier Division
    Dorchester Town vs Chippenham Town - Neil Blackmore.

Cricket: Minor Counties Championship Western Division
    Shropshire vs Wiltshire - Will Walder.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are TS not doing commentary on Arsenal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Are TS not doing commentary on Arsenal?

No. They are doing an Around the Grounds programme instead.

Interesting to hear Jim Proudfoot appearing as one of talkSPORT's reporters this evening. JP was one of Sky Sports' commentators on Champions League games shown on their interactive red button service during the group stage last season, so it is notable that he is available to work for talkSPORT during the first night of play-off round action. I will be interested to hear if he is available to work for talkSPORT on Champions League nights during the group stage, when I expect the station will begin doing live commentaries from the competition.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales

Tans Dragons FC v Wigan Athletic - Steffan Garrero (host) Rob Phillips and Ian Walsh (All FM & DAB frequencies)
    Mansfield Town v Newport County - Simon Davies and Iwan Roberts (MW* / Digital TV*)
    IPC European Athletics Championships, Swansea - Aly Rowell (Day 1 report)

* It would be wrong of me to class this as an uninterrupted commentary, as they get updates from the other game. A LOT.

BBC Radio Cymru

Tans Dragons FC v Wigan Athletic - Owain Llyr (updates)

BBC Bristol / Somerset

Dan Albutt (studio host)

Bristol City v Leyton Orient - Richard Hoskin and Adam Baker (94.9FM / 104.6FM / DAB)
    Walsall v Yeovil Town - Chris Spittles and Chris Sweet (95.5FM)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. They are doing an Around the Grounds programme instead.

Interesting to hear Jim Proudfoot appearing as one of talkSPORT's reporters this evening. JP was one of Sky Sports' commentators on Champions League games shown on their interactive red button service during the group stage last season, so it is notable that he is available to work for talkSPORT during the first night of play-off round action. I will be interested to hear if he is available to work for talkSPORT on Champions League nights during the group stage, when I expect the station will begin doing live commentaries from the competition.

I really don't get that. Why not provide commentary of the only big game tonight?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't get that. Why not provide commentary of the only big game tonight?

I personally think talkSPORT have made the right call and that an Around the Grounds show is a much better option than commentary on Besiktas v Arsenal would have been. There is a near full programme of Football League games tonight and they'll be a lot of people who are relying on a national radio service to provide them with updates from the three divisions. The Arsenal game is the first leg of a qualifier, there would have been a rights fee involved in acquiring the rights to it had they been interested in getting them and the match is available on free-to-air television. So I think talkSPORT have made a sensible decision here and are providing their usual strong service.

Have Radio 5 Live opted to do commentary on Arsenal tonight or are they leading with the Football League?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally think talkSPORT have made the right call and that an Around the Grounds show is a much better option than commentary on Besiktas v Arsenal would have been. There is a near full programme of Football League games tonight and they'll be a lot of people who are relying on a national radio service to provide them with updates from the three divisions. The Arsenal game is the first leg of a qualifier, there would have been a rights fee involved in acquiring the rights had they been interested in getting them and the match is available on free-to-air television. So I think talkSPORT have made a sensible decision here.

Have Radio 5 Live opted to do commentary on Arsenal tonight or are they leading with the Football League?

They've gone with Arsenal as it's the biggest game tonight

Tomorrow they're doing Fulham/Wolves rather than Celtic
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Leeds
    19:00-22:30
    Leeds United - commentary - Gareth Jones, Adam Pope and Ian Baird
    Huddersfield Town - AM and DAB commentary - Nick Hatton (in the studio) and Paul Ogden *
    Bradford City - AM and DAB reports - Dave Fletcher

Pulse 1 and official Bradford City website
    19:00-22:00
    Bradford City - commentary - Tim Thornton and Guy Branston**

BBC Radio York
    from 19:00
    York City - commentary - David Ward, Rob Wilson an Chris Jones

BBC Radio Humberside
    Scunthorpe United - commentary - Matt Dean, Mike White and George Kerr

BBC Radio Sheffield
    Sheffield United - commentary - Jonathan Buchan and Keith Edwards
    Barnsleyy - AM and DAB commentary - Adam Oxley
    Sheffield Wednesday - Andy Giddings
    Rotherham United - Rob Staton
    Doncaster Rovers - Nick Walsh
    Chesterfield - Paul Fisher

*A summariser was reserved and willing to summarise, but his football club wouldn't let him.
    **The summariser swore during the commentary.
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    BBC RADIO 5 LIVE

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - PLAYOFF FIRST LEG
    Besiktas v Arsenal - John Murray and John Hartson (19:45 commentary)

CHAMPIONSHIP
    Bournemouth v Nottingham Forest - Steve May
    Cardiff v Wigan - Ian Brown
    Leeds v Brighton - Ian Dennis
    Sheffield Wednesday v Millwall - Alastair Yeomans
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »

Fair to say then, he's in a right pickle.
  • Options
    GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Manchester

Bolton Wanderers v Middlesbrough - Jack Dearden and John McGinlay - commentary
    Cardiff City v Wigan Athletic - Bob Hunt - reports
    Crewe Alexandra v Rochdale - Nathan Middleton - reports
    Oldham Athletic v Port Vale - Liam Bradford - reports
    Luton Town v Bury - Graham Miller - reports
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    BBC Radio Leeds
    Leeds United - commentary - Gareth Jones, Adam Pope and Ian Baird
    Huddersfield Town - AM and DAB commentary - Nick Hatton (in the studio) and Paul Ogden *
    Bradford City - AM and DAB reports - Dave Fletcher

BBC Radio York
    from 19:00
    York City - commentary - David Ward, Rob Wilson an Chris Jones

BBC Radio Humberside
    Scunthorpe United - commentary - Matt Dean, Mike White and George Kerr

BBC Radio Sheffield
    Sheffield United - commentary - Jonathan Buchan and Keith Edwards
    Barnsleyy - AM and DAB commentary - Adam Oxley
    Sheffield Wednesday - Andy Giddings
    Rotherham United - Rob Staton
    Doncaster Rovers - Nick Walsh
    Chesterfield - Paul Fisher

*A summariser was reserved and willing to summarise, but his football club wouldn't let him.

Sorry to be picky - but is there any chance you could put the opposition sides in too?
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Ritchie not Ian Baird. I forgot to update that bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC RADIO 5 LIVE

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - PLAYOFF FIRST LEG
    Maribor v Celtic - Roddy Forsyth

CHAMPIONSHIP
    Fulham v Wolves - Conor McNamara and Steve Claridge (19:45 commentary)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've gone with Arsenal as it's the biggest game tonight

Tomorrow they're doing Fulham/Wolves rather than Celtic

There you go then - even more reason for talkSPORT to have done an Around the Grounds show last night, providing a different, worthwhile service as an alternative to commentary on a game that was live on both free-to-air television and the other national radio station that covers midweek football. I note from 4-4-2's post that talkSPORT had more than twice as many reporters at Football League games than 5 Live did, so they will have been able to provide a more comprehensive service in terms of updates as well as regular scoreflashes.

I think you are a bit guilty of doing what you criticise other people for over on the Radio 5 Live Chit Chat thread here, Col, if I'm being honest - it does seem as if you are criticising talkSPORT's editorial call for criticisms sake. If Matchday Live on Saturdays now gets a bigger audience as an Around the Grounds programme than it did when they provided commentaries on 3pm games, then it would suggest they'd be similar demand for the same format on a busy night of midweek action, especially when the alternative is a one-off qualifying game that is receiving prominent free-to-air coverage elsewhere.

If you want to be critical, why are Radio 5 Live not providing commentary on the "biggest game tonight" in Maribor v Celtic instead of a routine Championship game? In fairness I suspect the reason for this is because of the costs involved in gaining individual rights to that game and sending a team to Slovenia, but even so it would have been nice if they'd have come to an arrangement to simulcast Radio Scotland's commentary on Radio 5 Live Sports Extra. It will also be interesting to see if 5 Live provide live progress reports on the Celtic game, which they haven't done for European ties involving Scottish clubs in the past despite Roddy Forsyth being there both for them and The Daily Telegraph. If Roddy isn't able to provide in-game reports, then doing off-tube updates would be better than nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 20th August - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off alongside Danny Higginbotham

UEFA Champions League Play-Off Round First Leg
    Maribor v Celtic - Nigel Pearson

Championship
    Fulham v Wolverhampton Wanderers - Ian Abrahams
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There you go then - even more reason for talkSPORT to have done an Around the Grounds show last night, providing a different, worthwhile service as an alternative to commentary on a game that was live on both free-to-air television and the other national radio station that covers midweek football. I note from 4-4-2's post that talkSPORT had more than twice as many reporters at Football League games than 5 Live did, so they will have been able to provide a more comprehensive service in terms of updates as well as regular scoreflashes.

I think you are a bit guilty of doing what you criticise other people for over on the Radio 5 Live Chit Chat thread here, Col, if I'm being honest - it does seem as if you are criticising talkSPORT's editorial call for criticisms sake. If Matchday Live on Saturdays now gets a bigger audience as an Around the Grounds programme than it did when they provided commentaries on 3pm games, then it would suggest they'd be similar demand for the same format on a busy night of midweek action, especially when the alternative is a one-off qualifying game that is receiving prominent free-to-air coverage elsewhere.

If you want to be critical, why are Radio 5 Live not providing commentary on the "biggest game tonight" in Maribor v Celtic instead of a routine Championship game? In fairness I suspect the reason for this is because of the costs involved in gaining individual rights to that game and sending a team to Slovenia, but even so it would have been nice if they'd have come to an arrangement to simulcast Radio Scotland's commentary on Radio 5 Live Sports Extra. It will also be interesting to see if 5 Live provide live progress reports on the Celtic game, which they haven't done for European ties involving Scottish clubs in the past despite Roddy Forsyth being there both for them and The Daily Telegraph. If Roddy isn't able to provide in-game reports, then doing off-tube updates would be better than nothing.

It wasn't meant to be criticism, it was more surprise at the decision.

The Celtic game tonight is probably based on costs and maybe that most fans will either use Radio Scotland or Sky or a pub but I agree they could have done it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC LONDON 94.9

CHAMPIONSHIP
    Fulham v Wolves - Nick Godwin and Bradley Allen (19:45 commentary)

It appears BBC London will broadcast midweek commentaries on FM rather than digital only which they did last season. It seems they'll continue to do digital only commentaries on Sunday and Saturday outside of the 3pm kick-off.

On the whole, good to hear commentaries back on FM in London.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 20/8/14

Richard Gordon presenting Sportsound on 810MW with Steven Fletcher and Tom English.

UEFA Champions' League play-off 1st leg
    NK Maribor v Celtic (7.45pm) - Liam McLeod and Pat Bonner (commentary) with Al Lamont pitchside

Petrofac Training Cup
    Livingston v Hearts (7.45pm) - Jim Spence

(I'm not sure you can get two greater extremes of club football!)
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Wednesday 20th August

BBC WM

BBC WM Sport with Richard Wilford Live from Craven Cottage

Championship
    Mike Taylor and Richard Wilford: Fulham v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Free Radio 80s

Tom Ross's Goalzone with Tom Ross Live from Craven Cottage

Championship
    Tom Ross and Andy Thompson: Fulham v Wolverhampton Wanderers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 20th August

Free Radio 80s

Tom Ross's Goalzone with Tom Ross Live from Craven Cottage

Championship
    Tom Ross and Andy Thompson: Fulham v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Sorry to pick holes in your latest post Connor, especially after you kindly offered to take over posting the Free Radio 80s details now I am no longer able to listen to their live coverage that often, but I have to correct you - Matt Murray joined Tom for the co-commentary at Craven Cottage last night rather than Andy Thompson (with the game going out on AM and DAB in Birmingham, the Black Country and Shropshire).

After reading Tom's tweet last night, I had wondered if Matt might be joining Tom and Andy either just during the build-up or as part of a three man team, but going by the podcast it sounds as if it was a tandem of Tom and Matt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    BBC London

UEFA Europa League Play off Round 1st Leg

AEL Limassol v Tottenham Hotspur - Andy Rowley and Bradley Allen (DAB/Online Commentary)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 21st August - BBC Radio Humberside

Gwilym Lloyd presenting Humberside Sport from the studio

UEFA Europa League Play-Off Round First Leg
    KSC Lokeren v Hull City - David Burns (7.30pm BST commentary)

Tonight's commentary on is being broadcast on all of BBC Radio Humberside's platforms, including their online streams, as was the case with both legs in the previous round. David Burns is flying solo with no co-commentator.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wales v England (FIFA Women's World Cup qualifier)

BBC Radio Wales - Steffan Garrero (host) Simon Davies and Helen Ward (All frequencies / Online)
    BBC Radio Cymru - Owain Llyr, Gwennan Harries and an audible buzz in the background (commentary)
    BBC 5 Live Sports Xtra - Shelley Alexander and Matt Beard