Humax PVR-9300T: Does Your One Do This?

0100110101001101 Posts: 124
Forum Member
I have had my 9300T for a few months now and on the whole it has been great, but it has a couple of problems that are quite annoying. I'm wondering if they all do this, or if it's just mine.

1) One some recorded programmes it will suddenly jump forwards in time, missing out whole sections, which is accompanied by the sound going miles out of sync.

If I rewind it will show the missed sections, proving that they are there, but it will jump through them again if I try to re-play the section.

Sometimes if I press pause for a few moments when it starts to jump, it will then play normally and show the missed sections, but nine times out of ten it won't do it. Other times I have gone back and watched the problem recording again and it has played through without a problem, or played the problem sections correctly only to jump in another section.

2) Sometimes when I put the unit into standby it doesn't seem to turn right off. It looks as if it's in standby (showing just the clock), but I can hear something working inside. It's not the fan and it's not the hard drive spinning, but it is some sort of activity (on the right-hand side of the unit, as viewed from the front). I have to switch it off at the back of the unit, then back on again to get it to go into proper (silent) standby.

3) This isn't a problem as such, but I wanted to mention it: On the fast-forward control the speed control hasn't got an 8x speed. It jumps from 4x to 16x, which is quite annoying as the 8x would be a handy option.

Mine just has 2x, 4x, 16x, 32x and 64x. Are they all like that?

Just in case it is significant, here are the details for my particular unit:

Hardware version: REV 1.0
Software version: UPTTF 1.00.15
Loader version: a4.37

Thanks very much

:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    1. My older 9200 has done this, but only once, while time slipping.

2. Yes, my 9300 does this. Weird, isn't it?

3. No, none of them have 8x (but yes, it would be useful!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan G wrote: »
    1. My older 9200 has done this, but only once, while time slipping.

2. Yes, my 9300 does this. Weird, isn't it?

3. No, none of them have 8x (but yes, it would be useful!)

I bought one of these yesterday, one of the first recordings I made started doing this skipping thing and then the sound was out of sync. I pressed stop, and resumed playback and sync was ok again. I hope this isn't going to happen often!!
  • 0100110101001101 Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies!

Regarding the skipping, I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the formatting of the hard drive.

With my unit, the problem seems to exist in programmes around the same part of my play list, despite old ones being deleted and new ones recorded. I wonder if it is using the same part of the hard drive and there is something wrong with the file table structure or something.

I was going to try re-formatting the hard drive, but I've always got programmes on there that I haven't watched, so haven't had the chance to try it yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about reformatting mine too, but as you say, i've only had it a day but already have loads of recodings!
  • Old DudeOld Dude Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    My wife bought us one about 10 months ago when the 9200T died aged just over two years old. I wasn't going to bother with Humax again but the deed was done by the time I got home from work.

I have never noticed problems 1 or 2. Other problems, yes. :(

8X speed does seem logically to be a hole in the sequence but personally I don't feel a great need for it.
    Forum Member
    I got mine from Hughes Direct and there is a 3-year guarantee with it. Funnily enough, when I looked recently (as I'm thinking of getting a second one) I couldn't find any mention of the 3-year guarantee. I looked on their site and on their Amazon page, so maybe they have done away with it.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old Dude wrote: »
    My wife bought us one about 10 months ago when the 9200T died aged just over two years old. I wasn't going to bother with Humax again but the deed was done by the time I got home from work.

I have never noticed problems 1 or 2. Other problems, yes. :(

8X speed does seem logically to be a hole in the sequence but personally I don't feel a great need for it.

The forward and reverse user time skip settings and direct time code entry make the fast forward functions pretty redundant anyway
    Forum Member
    I use the fast-forward to skip through adverts visually, whilst I'm watching programmes.

I haven't read the instructions yet, so I expect I am missing some handy features!
  • Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    01001101 wrote: »
    I use the fast-forward to skip through adverts visually, whilst I'm watching programmes.
    Skip forward and back is much easier (especially as I use a 'universal' remote with the skip buttons easy to reach). I've set my Humax to skip forward 60 seconds and back 15, so I just keep skipping forward until I hit the programme, then back until I hit the ads (or trailers).
    Forum Member
    I didn't know that was possible. I suppose it's about time I read the instructions!
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know that was possible. I suppose it's about time I read the instructions!
    Parhaps a couple of spoilers, as I think the following are sometimes overlooked:
    • The same two buttons also skip a day back/forward in the epg.
    • While playing back key in a time in format HHMM and the playback will skip to that time in the recording. To speed up the skip key in HHMM followed by hitting 'OK'.
  • jw75jw75 Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies!

Regarding the skipping, I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the formatting of the hard drive.

With my unit, the problem seems to exist in programmes around the same part of my play list, despite old ones being deleted and new ones recorded. I wonder if it is using the same part of the hard drive and there is something wrong with the file table structure or something.

I was going to try re-formatting the hard drive, but I've always got programmes on there that I haven't watched, so haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Don't delete a faulty recording and see if that protects other ones from using that part of the disc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    personally I would check for a noisy signal, I can get choppy sound, pixellation, skipping and artifacts if there's a lot of electrical noise like a nearby thunderstorm when I make the recording
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    [*]While playing back key in a time in format HHMM and the playback will skip to that time in the recording. To speed up the skip key in HHMM followed by hitting 'OK'.
    [/LIST]

Or bring up the time bar by pressing 'play' once, move to where you want to be in the recording using right or left arrow and press OK.
  • tim123tim123 Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine just has 2x, 4x, 16x, 32x and 64x. Are they all like that?

Yes, they are all like that.

****** annoying as x8 is the fastest speed for forwarding that doen't skip scenes

tim
  • tim123tim123 Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The forward and reverse user time skip settings and direct time code entry make the fast forward functions pretty redundant anyway

No it's not. If you're looking for a particular scene, jumping 30 seconds or 1 minute at a time can miss it.

tim
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim123 wrote: »
    No it's not. If you're looking for a particular scene, jumping 30 seconds or 1 minute at a time can miss it.

tim

You set the forward time to say 2 mins and the reverse to say 15 sec. The longest you can overshoot in reverse is 14 sec.

If you know the timecode you can type it straight in and you can bookmark any scene for instant access
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I have had my 9300T for a few months now and on the whole it has been great, but it has a couple of problems that are quite annoying. I'm wondering if they all do this, or if it's just mine.

1) One some recorded programmes it will suddenly jump forwards in time, missing out whole sections, which is accompanied by the sound going miles out of sync.

If I rewind it will show the missed sections, proving that they are there, but it will jump through them again if I try to re-play the section.

A month ago I bought a PVR-9150T and it did exactly what is described in 1) above. I tried reformatting the hard drive but this didn't solve the problem. Thinking the box was faulty I exchanged it for another to find that it did exactly the same. I was thinking of exchanging the 9150T for a PVR-9300T but perhaps not now I know it can happen on these boxes as well. I have had a PVR-9200T for several years and I can't remember it ever having such an issue. Anyone else seen this problem?
    Forum Member
    Mine stopped doing it after a while, but since it stopped doing it regularly it has done it once or twice at random.

I've just thought that maybe problem areas (assuming it's due to problem areas on the hard drive) are taken up by programmes I haven't watched yet, so I'll post here again if it starts playing up again.

Forum Member
    My second PVR-9150T is being returned. I can almost guarantee that when I record Family Guy or American Dad on BBC3 I will have issues during playback: skipping sections of the programme (jumping forward in time) and missing sound. I stopped up last night and watched the programmes live with no issues but sure enough when I played back the recordings this morning the problems were present. I have managed to record other programmes okay, even some on BBC3 but I haven’t had one successful recording of Family Guy and American Dad. :cry:
    Forum Member
    Now there's a coincidence! I didn't mention it before as I didn't think it was relevant, but the programmes that were playing up on mine were Family Guy recordings. How strange!

Maybe it's something to do with the actual transmission of the programme rather than the PVR itself. I can't think why that would be, but it seems too much of a coincidence.

The other programmes that were playing up were some documentaries about famous photographers. I can't think if they were on BBC3, but maybe the problems are specific to that channel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I started getting this problem on Family Guy recordings on my 9300 after stage 1 of Winter Hill DSO last year and it happens every time. However my 9200 has no such problems.
    Forum Member
    Now there's a coincidence! I didn't mention it before as I didn't think it was relevant, but the programmes that were playing up on mine were Family Guy recordings. How strange!

Maybe it's something to do with the actual transmission of the programme rather than the PVR itself. I can't think why that would be, but it seems too much of a coincidence.

The other programmes that were playing up were some documentaries about famous photographers. I can't think if they were on BBC3, but maybe the problems are specific to that channel.

I think it must be the PVR as when I watched the live transmission of Family Guy last night it was fine. Only the playback of the recording of the same programme has the problem.

The other programme I have had an issue with was watching Crimewatch BBC1 on chase play.

Anyway, my PVR-9150T was returned to Tesco this morning. If there is a solution to this problem only then will I buy another Humax.
    Forum Member
    pughj wrote: »
    I started getting this problem on Family Guy recordings on my 9300 after stage 1 of Winter Hill DSO last year and it happens every time. However my 9200 has no such problems.

Interesting that it only started happening after DSO. Winter Hill is my transmitter also. I wonder if the problem happens from any other transmitter. I guess it must be a bug in the Humax software. I had the latest 9150T software installed (1.00.18).
    Forum Member
    I think there must be more to it than a PVR problem, unless of course it's a complete coincidence that we've both had problems with Family Guy on BBC3.

When I said that maybe it's something to do with the transmission of the programme I didn't mean that I thought the live transmission jumped and skipped, I meant that maybe it's something in the code of the transmission that causes problems for the PVR when it records it or tries to play it back.

God knows what that could be. Maybe it's to do with the codes that are used to schedule the recordings.