What if a soap was 'rebooted'?

big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
Forum Member
I've just been involved in debates on another forum for movies over 'reboots' of franchises ie. Batman, Star Trek.

It got me wondering, what would be the reaction if, say, Coronation Street or EastEnders really went into the doldrums, and to save the 'franchise' it was 'rebooted' - as in started again right from their classic beginning? Complete with a recast Den and Angie (for EE) or Ken Barlow, Elsie Tanner etc. for Coronation Street?

Would fans take to a soap being re-imagined right from the very beginning? Would it ever have a chance of being successful?

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    I've just been involved in debates on another forum for movies over 'reboots' of franchises ie. Batman, Star Trek.

It got me wondering, what would be the reaction if, say, Coronation Street or EastEnders really went into the doldrums, and to save the 'franchise' it was 'rebooted' - as in started again right from their classic beginning? Complete with a recast Den and Angie (for EE) or Ken Barlow, Elsie Tanner etc. for Coronation Street?

Would fans take to a soap being re-imagined right from the very beginning? Would it ever have a chance of being successful?

I think this could work for something like Brookside...reboots work best when they are resurrecting a long dead 'program'/film...but a currently running program would not work if rebooted...
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think this could work for something like Brookside...reboots work best when they are resurrecting a long dead 'program'/film...but a currently running program would not work if rebooted...

Ah, thanks that's something I didn't actually think of! Cheers for the response, I wonder if a reboot of Brookie could ever work...
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one of the more crazier ideas I've seen on here, I don't think it'd work. There'd be constant comparisons.

I would love to see a special though with current cast members taking on the roles of the original cast in a remake of the first episode. Any of the soaps could do it. I think the American soap Guiding Light did it for their 70th anniversary in 2007.
  • EastEndFan05EastEndFan05 Posts: 4,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be perfectly honest, in a few years when Ian, Phil and Dot are gone I think they should reboot EE. It's as good as been rebooted from 2007 onwards with so few of the classic characters left. I think it would be really interesting to see Den, Angie, Sharon, Ian, Pauline, Dot, Pat and all the other characters re-imagined and brought to life again. Let's face it, it's never going back to it's glory years no matter which former cast members they bring back and the characters created nowadays aren't a patch on the classic characters from the 80's and 90's. A reboot could be the answer to all of the shows problems.
    Forum Member
    It's one of the more crazier ideas I've seen on here, I don't think it'd work. There'd be constant comparisons.

I would love to see a special though with current cast members taking on the roles of the original cast in a remake of the first episode. Any of the soaps could do it. I think the American soap Guiding Light did it for their 70th anniversary in 2007.

Yeah, that's something I particularly wanted to see for Corrie in light of the great 'Road to Coronation Street' documentary. Would be great if one of the soaps did that one day.

To be honest, I'm not sure I personally would ever want to see a soap rebooted, particularly one of the major ones. As you say there would always be comparisons and considering how iconic the big 3 in particular are I don't think one would ever have a chance of being successful in my opinion.

But considering the concept has been all over the place in recent years I just thought I'd spark a discussion of 'rebooting' within a soap context. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If any of the big soaps were to be rebooted I would think EE would be the most likely. That's not to say it will happen.

EE appears to have the fewest classic characters left and the newer ones haven't caught the public's imagination to the extent those in other soaps have. The Websters and Gail Platt, for example. They weren't in Coronation Street in the early days but the public are well aware of who they are. You can't say that about the likes of Max Branning and the Masoods. I don't think they'll ever have that kind of notoriety.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see the format of Crossroads rebooted again, sort of a follow on/remake with the same set of character types making up the cast - most significantly someone in the mould of Meg Richardson.
    Forum Member
    If any of the big soaps were to be rebooted I would think EE would be the most likely. That's not to say it will happen.

EE appears to have the fewest classic characters left and the newer ones haven't caught the public's imagination to the extent those in other soaps have. The Websters and Gail Platt, for example. They weren't in Coronation Street in the early days but the public are well aware of who they are. You can't say that about the likes of Max Branning and the Masoods. I don't think they'll ever have that kind of notoriety.

Your posts raise interesting points, in particular looking at recent EE. Many new characters these days are criticised as being blatant attempts to recreate old classic characters. Do you think an actual reboot with the actual old iconic cast would be better received than continual attempts to recreate old magic with new characters?

I would also have to agree that the likes of Max and the Masoods, who are some of the biggest EE characters in recent years, have nothing on the major players of old.

Despite initially stating that I would probably not welcome a reboot, now I think about it perhaps a rebooted EE could bring back a more classic feel to the show? I still stand by my opinion that I'm not sure a reboot would be widely accepted or successful, but I definitely agree that EE would definitely be the most likely/most needing of one.

I think I would definitely tune into a rebooted EE, especially seeing as I was not even born during it's first five years and then too young to remember/appreciate some of the classic moments of the 90's at the time. Whether it would be successful, or whether it would actually work out in practice is a whole other ball game.

As pointed out, Sharon could waltz back in tomorrow but it would never be the same as most of the iconic cast connected to her are long gone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    Your posts raise interesting points, in particular looking at recent EE. Many new characters these days are criticised as being blatant attempts to recreate old classic characters. Do you think an actual reboot with the actual old iconic cast would be better received than continual attempts to recreate old magic with new characters?

I would also have to agree that the likes of Max and the Masoods, who are some of the biggest EE characters in recent years, have nothing on the major players of old.

Despite initially stating that I would probably not welcome a reboot, now I think about it perhaps a rebooted EE could bring back a more classic feel to the show? I still stand by my opinion that I'm not sure a reboot would be widely accepted or successful, but I definitely agree that EE would definitely be the most likely/most needing of one.

I think I would definitely tune into a rebooted EE, especially seeing as I was not even born during it's first five years and then too young to remember/appreciate some of the classic moments of the 90's at the time. Whether it would be successful, or whether it would actually work out in practice is a whole other ball game.

As pointed out, Sharon could waltz back in tomorrow but it would never be the same as most of the iconic cast connected to her are long gone.

If they did reboot it they'd have to bring in a new writing team. The current writers couldn't possibly do justice to classic EE characters like Den and Angie. Nor could they get that old EE feeling back. I think the right set of writers could do it though. I'm sure it would be unpopular at first but if the writing and acting, as well as the stories, were good then people would eventually deal with it. You'll always get some people who are totally against it. I'm sure they'll turn up in this thread to cry fowl at my posts:D
  • emmerdaleloveremmerdalelover Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If EE was rebooted, I think the 1980s era should be left out. I don't think anybody could replace the original Lou Beale, Den and Angie, Sue Osman or Lofty for me.
  • KingCorrieKingCorrie Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Can we not remember Cross roads 2 or 3?

Or are we not considering them reboots - more as sequals?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't work in my opinion, just make a new soap rather than re-heat a formula.
  • jontravisjontravis Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    KingCorrie wrote: »
    Can we not remember Cross roads 2 or 3?

Or are we not considering them reboots - more as sequals?

maybe spin offs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If EE was rebooted, I think the 1980s era should be left out. I don't think anybody could replace the original Lou Beale, Den and Angie, Sue Osman or Lofty for me.

If they did reboot EE I doubt they'd have it set in the 80's. It would be a period piece and would be too expensive to keep everything authentic especially when they go on location. I was more suggesting they bring the classic characters into this day and age. The problem with EE is that it's still stuck in that 80's bubble with 80's sensibilities. Perhaps a reboot would bring it more in line with contemporary times. I'd only want it rebooted if it meant the 80's characters would be back on my screen. They were the best group of characters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they did reboot EE I doubt they'd have it set in the 80's. It would be a period piece and would be too expensive to keep everything authentic especially when they go on location. I was more suggesting they bring the classic characters into this day and age. The problem with EE is that it's still stuck in that 80's bubble with 80's sensibilities. Perhaps a reboot would bring it more in line with contemporary times. I'd only want it rebooted if it meant the 80's characters would be back on my screen. They were the best group of characters.

Thanks for that, I knew what you were suggesting - I wasn't thinking the show should re-locate back to the '80s. But I couldn't imagine the '80s characters being played by any other actors, even in a contemporary setting, and that's why it wouldn't work for me. As for it being stuck in an "80s bubble with 80s sensibilities" - it's nothing like it was in the '80s, when Julia Smith and Tony Holland tried to inform and entertain the audience. I've just watched the first two years, and I'm surprised at how different it all was. Now is now - EastEnders is very firmly part of now - and continues to be a prime mover and shaker in the world of soaps, for better or worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They couldn't follow the exact storylines though, say the new Ian Beale left after two years, that would be 24 years worth of Ian storylines never existing. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gmc93 wrote: »
    They couldn't follow the exact storylines though, say the new Ian Beale left after two years, that would be 24 years worth of Ian storylines never existing. :D

That might be interesting - start off with the same premise, but develop things differently - OK, I'll go for that. Could be good. Perhaps Sue Osman could have a happy ending this time? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, I knew what you were suggesting - I wasn't thinking the show should re-locate back to the '80s. But I couldn't imagine the '80s characters being played by any other actors, even in a contemporary setting, and that's why it wouldn't work for me. As for it being stuck in an "80s bubble with 80s sensibilities" - it's nothing like it was in the '80s, when Julia Smith and Tony Holland tried to inform and entertain the audience. I've just watched the first two years, and I'm surprised at how different it all was. Now is now - EastEnders is very firmly part of now - and continues to be a prime mover and shaker in the world of soaps, for better or worse.

I agree it's a very different show these days but it's still got something of the 80's about it. I think it was John Yorke who said it's stuck in an 80's bubble. He didn't mean it as a criticism. Just that it's a product of it's time.

I can understand how you feel about not being able to imagine other actors playing the characters. There's always the risk it might not work too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That might be interesting - start off with the same premise, but develop things differently - OK, I'll go for that. Could be good. Perhaps Sue Osman could have a happy ending this time? :)

I wouldn't want every story recreated. Just the big ones like Sharongate. It gives them the option of introducing characters sooner than they were originally introduced. Imagine if Angie met Peggy or Den met Grant:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't want every story recreated. Just the big ones like Sharongate. It gives them the option of introducing characters sooner than they were originally introduced. Imagine if Angie met Peggy or Den met Grant:eek:

We might also find that Angie played by a different actress or Grant played by a different actor would fall as flat as a pancake on-screen and get written out early on. Interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We might also find that Angie played by a different actress or Grant played by a different actor would fall as flat as a pancake on-screen and get written out early on. Interesting.

Good point.

They do say lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree it's a very different show these days but it's still got something of the 80's about it. I think it was John Yorke who said it's stuck in an 80's bubble. He didn't mean it as a criticism. Just that it's a product of it's time.

I can understand how you feel about not being able to imagine other actors playing the characters. There's always the risk it might not work too.

Well, with all due respect, I never quote people like John Yorke, having my own ideas, and I can see nothing at all '80s about today's EastEnders.

In the '80s, Albert Square was run-down and depressing, and anti-Thatcher comments abounded - the show was daring and political. These days, whilst the show seeks to remain topical, the emphasis is far more on life in the Square - without the need to comment on the political scene or "educate" as many topics have already been covered - often in the '80s! The show today also reflects the way many of us have become disenchanted with politics. It has its finger formly on the pulse. Politics do not inflame the majority as they once did.

Tony Holland and Julia Smith WERE EastEnders in the 1980s, a very distinctive team living in thir own times. EastEnders - and life - have changed immeasurably since those days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, with all due respect, I never quote people like John Yorke, having my own ideas, and I can see nothing at all '80s about today's EastEnders.

In the '80s, Albert Square was run-down and depressing, and anti-Thatcher comments abounded - the show was daring and political. These days, whilst the show seeks to remain topical, the emphasis is far more on life in the Square - without the need to comment on the political scene or "educate" as many topics have already been covered - often in the '80s! The show today also reflects the way many of us have become disenchanted with politics. It has its finger formly on the pulse. Politics do not inflame the majority as they once did.

Tony Holland and Julia Smith WERE EastEnders in the 1980s, a very distinctive team living in thir own times. EastEnders - and life - have changed immeasurably since those days.

''With all due respect''.

Right:rolleyes:

Thanks for the discussion. The dismissive tone to your posts is irritating me though so I think I'll end it here. I tried to be nice and even tried to see it from your perspective but it's clear you have a bee in your bonnet about something I've written so I'll leave it here if that's alright with you.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, a reboot would be one way for Eastenders to bring back Danielle! :p
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Well, a reboot would be one way for Eastenders to bring back Danielle! :p

You beat me to it! :D:o