Options

iOS 5: Features, glitches, tips etc.

Comments

• Options
    simps100simps100 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit more investigation of the Bluetooth/car issue.

If I'm more than five seconds into a track, it will respond instantly from the steering wheel controls when selecting the next or previous track. Less than five seconds in, and it'll take a couple of seconds to respond.

When resuming a track from paused, it'll respond instantly if the track's been paused for more than five seconds. If not, it takes six or seven seconds to respond.

And it still doesn't display the artist and song info. Even when I click into the car stereo's specific screens for ID3 tags, it says 'ID3 tags not available',

Very disappointed with bluetooth also, in my Fiesta and IOS4 bluetooth worked a treat, streaming worked with both the ipod app and spotify, i was able to skip tracks and make calls with no problem atall.

Now at the start of each track i will get a bluetooth error on the radio screen, skipping will somtimes work but mostly not, and in the end it will give up, whilst it still looks connected no sound both calls or music will work until i disconnect / reconnect.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The News Stand app can't be moved into a folder. That's annoying.

Really? Now THAT'S annoying!!! Haven't installed yet but it's all this lack of attention to detail and consumer needs that annoy me about Apple. Why the HELL would I want Newsstand as JUST a separate app clogging up my home screen????!!! :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    d3nium wrote: »
    Slight issue with icloud email for me.

I can send emails from icloud.com no problem, but when i come to send an email from my iphone via the cloud *.me address, i get the following error:

Checked the settings & they all appear to be correct, i wonder if it's just an issue at Apple's end? Any ideas?

Getting same, I use gmail for my mail, but added the icloud one also.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simps100 wrote: »
    Very disappointed with bluetooth also, in my Fiesta and IOS4 bluetooth worked a treat, streaming worked with both the ipod app and spotify, i was able to skip tracks and make calls with no problem atall.

Now at the start of each track i will get a bluetooth error on the radio screen, skipping will somtimes work but mostly not, and in the end it will give up, whilst it still looks connected no sound both calls or music will work until i disconnect / reconnect.

It's rubbish, isn't it? This needs sorting out, but it seems like one of those things that will just stay broken.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    The reason newsstand can't be moved into a folder is because it is a folder already and you cant have a folder within a folder.

Just sent myself a test message from icloud and it sent fine. Suspect any issues people are having are down to iCloud getting hammered
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's rubbish, isn't it? This needs sorting out, but it seems like one of those things that will just stay broken.

Im not sure, it seems alot of people are reporting it over on a car forum im on, so if its a problem for everyone i guess it will have to be fixed!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Getting same, I use gmail for my mail, but added the icloud one also.

Pretty sure it must just be a bug at apple. If you ping p06-smtp.mail.me.com it won't even resolve the hostname.

A temporary fix seems to be to add p01-smtp.mail.me.com as a secondary SMTP server. Just added it now but it's taking forever to connect.

Meh.
  • Options
    andrewstevensonandrewstevenson Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Custom text tones was one of the rumoured features of iOS 5. Somewhat unsurprisingly, it isn't there.

Well i use ringtone designer from app store then save, go to itunes, your phone part and apps, click down the down you will see ringtone designer, select ringotne designer and any tracks you did are the right hand side, select and save to desktop then drag over the ringtones section on main screen, go back to ringotnes in the phone section of itunes, select the songs and it will add them after you sync.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Why does the notification centre not show how many emails i have?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does the notification centre not show how many emails i have?

Oddly, I found that Mail was switched off by default. Go into Settings > Notifications and add the Mail app to Notification Centre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not sure, it seems alot of people are reporting it over on a car forum im on, so if its a problem for everyone i guess it will have to be fixed!

Annoying. I want the features of iOS 5 like Notification Centre, but I'm going to refrain from updating at the moment because I use Bluetooth a lot in the car. After trying it with my other half's iPhone 4 running iOS 5, I found it very irritating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annoying. I want the features of iOS 5 like Notification Centre, but I'm going to refrain from updating at the moment because I use Bluetooth a lot in the car. After trying it with my other half's iPhone 4 running iOS 5, I found it very irritating.

After reading around, some people with the same car as me seem to get along with it fine, ive booked my car in for a software update tomorrow to see if that fixes anything, fingers crossed!
  • Options
    andy.saundersandy.saunders Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

Downloaded ios5 last night with no issue's,

If I get a text will it notify me every 2 minutes like before?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

Downloaded ios5 last night with no issue's,

If I get a text will it notify me every 2 minutes like before?

Yes, you can still set the repeat alert as before.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone else noticed their mobile number reading as +44 instead of 07 after the update, or is that just me?

bump, anyone?

That's called 'International Assist' - you can change in Settings > Phone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After reading around, some people with the same car as me seem to get along with it fine, ive booked my car in for a software update tomorrow to see if that fixes anything, fingers crossed!

Hmmm. Unfortunately I know my car is running the latest firmware. I hope it gets sorted. Having looked online, this was definitely an earlier in the earlier beta releases of iOS 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tye111 wrote: »
    That's a shame :cry:. That and the separation of Video/Music which I think is horrible are the only faults I can find with it so far.

Personally I've always hated videos being lumped in with music. This is a big improvement for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no support for the Polaroid Pogo Zink printer.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    JS477JS477 Posts: 1,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not looked hard enough but where can I download iOS5 from?

Ta
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    pogo1910 wrote: »
    I dont seem to have the quick access to camera button next to the slide to unlock bar.

Not sure if anyone has said, but you need to double click the home button to get that. :) I just worked it out myself now!
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    with the location based reminders, is it possible to manually add locations and give them a meaningful name, rather than the lats and longs? (other than from the address book)

Iain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d3nium wrote: »
    Pretty sure it must just be a bug at apple. If you ping p06-smtp.mail.me.com it won't even resolve the hostname.

A temporary fix seems to be to add p01-smtp.mail.me.com as a secondary SMTP server. Just added it now but it's taking forever to connect.

Meh.

Hmmm, just deleted all additional SMTP servers on iOS other than smtp.gmail.com which is for my primary e-mail account, and it suddenly works!

Now got my gmail & icloud email working together flawlessly!
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    Any iPad owners using this? I'm wondering whether I should bother, it sounds like a lot of hassle. :confused:
  • Options
    x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really seeing much difference in 5 and 4, it was made out to be this amazing new thing :confused:

Where is this integrated Twitter thing? I use UberSocial atm as I don't like Twitter for iPhone, but I presume it's related to the latter.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Any iPad owners using this? I'm wondering whether I should bother, it sounds like a lot of hassle. :confused:

Last night's problems were only due to extremely high demand for the update. There are no fundamental problems with iOS 5 its self.