Options

The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GBBO is a reality show as it features amateur bakers. It should be in the reality section, and I don't think it should have a sub thingy, as the programmes which do ( specifically SCD) get clogged up with repetitious threads .
    The contestants do fit the stereotypes offered on page 1 :D but I hope the publicity is balanced this year.............and please.............no crying or wobbly lips ;-)
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Me too. I hope they don't have a pretentious me, me, me whinger who dominates the whole prog. Or at least I hope they don't edit the GBBO to make it seem that way. Big fail with the edit last year. :(
    Please, if there is someone you decide you don't like, can you just leave it rather than go on and on and bloody on about how you don't like them, as they don't dominate the programme the the FMs with the misery obsession do dominate and ruin the discussion.
    Why has this thread been moved to the Reality forum?

I don't understand why all of these cooking shows keep getting moved especially since I would not define either Masterchef or The Great British Bake Off as being reality TV

How about Couples Come Dine With Me also gets moved as that is the epitome of trashy reality TV nowadays?

I don't have any confidence that a) mods don't move things just to annoy people
    B) they have a clue what is reality and what isn't
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    Already have a bit of an uncomfortable crush on the one with the beard. Iain is it? Ah. Beards.

Me too. I quite like the look of Richard as well. I do like the fact that they don't go for the obvious eye candy, but men who'd probably catch your eye if they lived down the road from you. ;-)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have any confidence that a) mods don't move things just to annoy people
    B) they have a clue what is reality and what isn't

I think most of the rest of us haven't any idea how they define 'reality' either!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GBBO is a reality show as it features amateur bakers. It should be in the reality section,
    In days gone by, any programme featuring amateurs competing for a place in the Final (and that coveted first place) would have been a competition, simple as that. The reality aspect in reality TV comes from following people in their daily lives. Wikipedia encapsulates it quite well:

Reality television is a genre of television programming that documents unscripted situations and actual occurrences, and often features a previously unknown cast. The genre often highlights personal drama and conflict to a much greater extent than other unscripted television such as documentary shows

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_television

GBBO does not fulfil any of that (apart from the "unknowns" bit)
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And, like my previous post said, why oh why is Martha already getting more exposure than anyone else?

Because she's young. Because it's a vastly popular show and they NEED a story because they must talk about the popular thing. Trouble is the popular thing hasn't started yet so they can only go on the profiles and hers is the 'story' because she's young. Simple as that.

As for this thread being in Reality, well if The Apprentice is in that section then this probably should be too.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please, if there is someone you decide you don't like, can you just leave it rather than go on and on and bloody on about how you don't like them, as they don't dominate the programme the the FMs with the misery obsession do dominate and ruin the discussion.

I saw this earlier but it's difficult to know how to respond. Here goes:

Why have you singled me out?

And how is this post ^^^ a reply to mine?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    In days gone by, any programme featuring amateurs competing for a place in the Final (and that coveted first place) would have been a competition, simple as that. The reality aspect in reality TV comes from following people in their daily lives. Wikipedia encapsulates it quite well:

Reality television is a genre of television programming that documents unscripted situations and actual occurrences, and often features a previously unknown cast. The genre often highlights personal drama and conflict to a much greater extent than other unscripted television such as documentary shows

Agreed, I presume Masterchef is classed as 'reality' because they take them to work in real kitchens but I don't Bake Off has ever done that.

I don't think Mr Paxman will be very happy if they class University Challenge as 'Reality'!

Yet half the threads in Broadcasting seem to be about Sport, no logic at all to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    I saw this earlier but it's difficult to know how to respond. Here goes:

Why have you singled me out?

And how is this post ^^^ a reply to mine?

First of all you are not required to respond, this forum is optional.

I haven't singled you out, I chose a post to attach my comment to because it was an appropriate example. I'm making a point about the way the whole discussion last series was dominated by people moaning on and on about 1 contestant who people too an irrational hatred for and ruined the chatter. IMO.

The FM you were replying to was saying something similar and you chose to say you agreed by moaning on about that contestant again!
    Anyway, you are far from alone, if you were even one of the perpetrators, so it's not personal, so don't take it as so please.

It's not a reply to you personally as this is a forum discussion not a personal chat , it's my comment on the thread that is linked to your comment because it is in contrast.

So please go on with your day and don't give it another thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

Surely GBBO is a competition.

Maybe reality should vanish all together and we can call shows competitions, game shows and scripted drama shite
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First of all you are not required to respond, this forum is optional.

I haven't singled you out, I chose a post to attach my comment to because it was an appropriate example. I'm making a point about the way the whole discussion last series was dominated by people moaning on and on about 1 contestant who people too an irrational hatred for and ruined the chatter. IMO.

The FM you were replying to was saying something similar and you chose to say you agreed by moaning on about that contestant again!
    Anyway, you are far from alone, if you were even one of the perpetrators, so it's not personal, so don't take it as so please.

It's not a reply to you personally as this is a forum discussion not a personal chat , it's my comment on the thread that is linked to your comment because it is in contrast.

So please go on with your day and don't give it another thought.

BIB Of course it was a reply to me personally. You made your comments in a reply to my post and addressed your comments to me! This is a disccussion forum where people can reply to posts and comment on them. That's what you did. The chat comment is irrelevant. 'Appropriate example'? :D:D:D

Personally. I found your comments rude. You have no right whatsoever to tell other posters what they can and can't do and your comment: Please, if there is someone you decide you don't like, can you just leave it rather than go on and on and bloody on about how you don't like them was also rude. So don't tell me to 'go on with your day and don't give it another thought,' like I don't have the right of reply.

And incidentally, in the main, I was commenting on the programme edit last year which certainly made it seem as if there was a whingy baker.

Cherrybomber - I really don't want to get in a big fight about this but your post and comments were out of order. So a retraction/apology would be nice and then we can leave it at that. :):):)
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am looking forward to slagging off the least popular participants on the show its all part of the fun - like the awful Ruby last year - and there is sweet fa you can do about it - this is a discussion forum, get over yourself..
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,800
    Administrator
    Please cut out the bickering - we'd hate to have to start handing out warnings. As for the section, this thread is here in line with our editorial site coverage: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s215/great-british-bake-off/ (Home / Reality TV / Great British Bake Off)

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please cut out the bickering - we'd hate to have to start handing out warnings. As for the section, this thread is here in line with our editorial site coverage: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s215/great-british-bake-off/ (Home / Reality TV / Great British Bake Off)

Thanks

Many thanks for acting so promptly. :)

PS Anyone not liking posters remarks can use the ignore button! :);-)
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for the section, this thread is here in line with our editorial site coverage: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s215/great-british-bake-off/ (Home / Reality TV / Great British Bake Off)

Then, if I might make so bold, without fear or favour, and with the greatest of respect to the hard-working mods & admins on DS (as no offence is intended)** maybe the editorial site coverage is incorrect with respect to GBBO!

** Hopefully I have grovelled enough and have been ultra-polite so as to ensure that I don't get a wrist-slap from the mods. :)
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well at least according to a previous poster we can have separate threads for different aspects of the show. Therefore, hopefully we can have appreciation or disappreciation threads as our opinions are formed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I know Martha's parents, although haven't seen them for many years (although funnily enough seeing them this weekend!) if she is a lovely as they are then she will be a great contestant :)
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the more bitter posters are already sharpening their knives over a young girl.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    I see the more bitter posters are already sharpening their knives over a young girl.

GBBO is a light-hearted baking competition. I don't understand how people could 'hate' a 17 year old for being passionate about baking
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,738
    Forum Member
    GBBO is a light-hearted baking competition. I don't understand how people could 'hate' a 17 year old for being passionate about baking

To be honest - I don't understand how people could 'hate' a 17-year old at all - after all, what's she ever done to them!

I just hope that Martha (and the others) don't get too hung up on going on the Interweb to read what people are saying. If I were on one of these competitions I think I'd stay well clear for the duration!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Anyone else avoiding most of the promotional info in the papers about this year's show &- in particular -contestants? I dunno about you but I prefer to go into it cold & not know much about the people taking part, so to see features about the new contestants in Metro et al is a bit grating.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else avoiding most of the promotional info in the papers about this year's show &- in particular -contestants? I dunno about you but I prefer to go into it cold & not know much about the people taking part, so to see features about the new contestants in Metro et al is a bit grating.

I haven't read anything yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't read anything yet.

Nor me. But I am really looking forward to the new series.
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    In certain reality shows particularly BB where there is nothing but a "game/competition" of human interactions between the contestants be it scripted or not, then it's right and normal to express both positive & negative criticisms directly towards those idiots, I mean contestants.

But we are talking and watching a competition mainly focused on the skills, creativeness, artistry, & innovations of contestants who are brave enough to participate whilst at the same time giving us the audience the pleasure of watching them at work.

So I really cannot understand why there should be some people or trolls who are determined to being nasty and throwing vile & unnecessary remarks towards the contestants & worst already being negative when the show has not even started yet!

As for me I will just enjoy & hopefully learn some new tips along the way & drool at the sight of those yummy scrumptious cakes!!!
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the series already been recorded and so the winner is already known to the contestants?