A warning about T-junctions.

AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This afternoon my car was almost written off. I was turning off a main road and as I turned in a car that had been waiting to pull out drove straight at me on the wrong side of the road. I think they were trying to overtake the car in front that was turning right. Absolutely bloody crazy of them and luckily we came to a stop with half a metre between us.

What's even more shocking is that if I wasn't there they'd be entering a main road on the wrong side of the road - and it's a nearly blind junction from both directions.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Aynho&aq=0&oq=ayn&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=7.701807,19.248047&vpsrc=6&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Aynho,+Northamptonshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.994612,-1.25485&spn=0.001916,0.004699&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.99473,-1.254746&panoid=xe8z_2hbFa5bSpk_Wo5FdQ&cbp=12,281.82,,0,3.49

Basically: I was turning left, two cars were waiting to come out. The first started to pull out as I turned in and the vehicle behind him tried to overtake and ended up nearly nose to nose with me.

Scary as hell. The only good thing was the speed of my reactions. Actually the first I knew about it was wondering why I was pressing the brake pedal. Then I saw the car. It seems that part of my brain can react fast without needing a concious decision.

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks rather nice, do you own your own house?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyhoe Park?? I bet some fun is had there.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, if this is like any other DS thread about driving, someone will be along shortly to tell you it was at least partly your fault.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyhoe sounds great
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't T-junctions the latest west coast rapper server jail time?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    What car do you drive?
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the warning about 'T' junctions. I'll be sure to avoid them now I know how dangerous they are. It's a miracle I've survived this long really. :o
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Expect the unexpected

That is all I have to say
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Expect the unexpected

That is all I have to say
    Yah. I see silhouettes of saucy dancers in flames on t-junctions all the time.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the TJunction was probably an innocent party to this, frankly.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yah. I see silhouettes of saucy dancers in flames on t-junctions all the time.

This should be in my 1970s thread
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the TJunction was probably an innocent party to this, frankly.

The thread title is pretty misleading really.
    It's not like this is a regular thing that happens on a T-junction is it. It was just some dangerous idiot deciding to drive on the wrong side of the road which they'd probably do on any section of road not just T-junctions.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Stay away from Roundabouts as well......they're lethal.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After nearly 12000 posts, I suppose the op won't be surprised by the responses.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    After nearly 12000 posts, I suppose the op won't be surprised by the responses.
    Not really. It was just a warning - people can do with that what they want. A lot of people might expect some pillock to attempt an overtake on the open road but most people probably assume that it's safe to turn into a side road without encountering oncoming traffic.

In this case there's also the likelihood that if I hadn't been there it might have been traffic on the main road that suddenly found itself facing a head on collision.

Here endeth the public service announcement ;)

And I'm not quite at 12,000 posts yet. But yeah - I know how DS works.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    Anyhoe Park?? I bet some fun is had there.
    anyhoe sounds great

It's Aynho.

The problem there is having the road number written on the road like that, it should be facing the junction .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I was once verbally threatened by a cross road.

I just thought to myself 'what a cycle path'.
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No surprise it's a village. Village people all seem to be drunk driving, speeding, overtaking idiots.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    And I'm not quite
    That would be the general meaning of "nearly" - but you know how DS works :p
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning about 'T' junctions. I'll be sure to avoid them now I know how dangerous they are. It's a miracle I've survived this long really. :o

Sounds like you've got them down to a T!

/coat
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No surprise it's a village. Village people all seem to be drunk driving, speeding, overtaking idiots.

Which is all the more surprising as one of them was a traffic cop.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buuuttttt to talk seriously about this issue for a moment. There is a fine line to draw between treating everyone as if they may be a suicidal idiot, or crediting drivers with some sense.

People often advise drivers to "treat all other drivers as idiots" but if you truly did that, you would never leave the house. Alertness is all we have to help us, as most of the oncoming drivers manage to avoid swerving out and killing everyone, but stories like this also give a background of knowledge of just what daft things may just happen.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You say your car was almost written off then you go on to say you both stopped and no collision took place. Similar thing happened to me last night. I was almost killed while crossing a road, but thankfully I used the pedestrian crossing and there were no cars present.

True story.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a warning about T-Junctions is it, really? It's more a warning about idiots :D
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    I was once verbally threatened by a cross road.

I just thought to myself 'what a cycle path'.

Your comedic talents are wasted here :D