Options

Is this the end of the handshake? Scientists find bumping fists is healthier

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/end-handshake-scientists-find-bumping-3924271
Could this be the end of the traditional handshake? Scientists have discovered that bumping fists is a far healthier greeting.

Academics at Aberystwth University in west Wales carried out a series of tests on hand hygiene.

Using rubber gloves and a thick layer of the potentially deadly bacteria E.coli, scientists exchanged handshakes, high fives and fist bumps before working out which greeting gesture was the cleanest.

According to the study, high doses of bugs were passed on during a handshake. However, that was reduced by more than half during a high five and 90% when bumping fists.

Safe blud, innit ? .. Re-thpeck .. *holds fist out*

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another bit of research to confirm the bleedin' obvious.
    Anyway, whats wrong with the traditional English greeting of a slight nod of the head and slightly embarrassed "Alright?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Another bit of research to confirm the bleedin' obvious.
    Anyway, whats wrong with the traditional English greeting of a slight nod of the head and slightly embarrassed "Alright?"

Actually saying "Alright?" is far too posh .. you mean you haven't substituted it with a single syllable noise whilst nodding your head ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Why don't we just all communicate from the sanctuary of our keyboards, never once making physical human contact?

Hang on...
  • Options
    LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    LOL, just LOL.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    one of my doctors does this with me because he knows i smoke weed, it`s bizarre and cringey :D.

likeable bloke though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't we just all communicate from the sanctuary of our keyboards, never once making physical human contact?

Hang on...

Let's all live in bubbles.

(forgot to quote)
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually saying "Alright?" is far too posh .. you mean you haven't substituted it with a single syllable noise whilst nodding your head ?

:D I was going to put "grunt" but thought that a bit too teenagery - I wouldn't be surprised if my own "awrite" greeting does sound rather indistinct though.
  • Options
    ilarilar Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Is this the beginning of the end of all human physical contact without first being completely sanitised, then physical contact of whatever kind is required, then sanitised again afterward. Will we all turn into Howard Hughes types?
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a load of shite
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    :D I was going to put "grunt" but thought that a bit too teenagery - I wouldn't be surprised if my own "awrite" greeting does sound rather indistinct though.

Considering the barometer for my level of humour, if you had written something akin to "grunting at each other" it would have probably kept me amused for about a week :D
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member

'Alright' isn't even a proper word, let alone posh. No, one should obviously curtsey or bow to one's betters. When meeting someone of equal social standing a curt nod of the head will suffice. If one knows the chap's name then adding 'Smith' or 'Chalmers' is added for greater intimacy. Touching is completely infra-dig of course, unless the person is a friend (ie went to Eton with you) or your father or other male relative.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about going "EYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!" like The Fonz? That's still cool, right?

...right?
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The day old people start fist bumping is the day I die happy.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd prefer a hip check, NHL style.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I'd prefer a hip check, NHL style.
    And exactly what's wrong with the manly NBA chest-bounce, huh???? Even George Dubya has taken it on board.
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05/29/article-1022718-01693FA600000578-136_468x313.jpg
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's gottabe a big fist, man hug or thumbs facing up hand 'shake' with touch shoulders.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And exactly what's wrong with the manly NBA chest-bounce, huh???? Even George Dubya has taken it on board.
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05/29/article-1022718-01693FA600000578-136_468x313.jpg

There's nothing right about that photo!!
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will they come up with a way for us to avoid touching door handles which carry germs or for when shopping as everything we touch has been touched by someone else , so either we wear gloves all the time or go out armed with a stick for pushing doors and a pair of tongs for selecting our shopping.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I just don't know how we're all still alive.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    'Alright' isn't even a proper word, let alone posh.

Yes it is, except for 20th. Century grammar police. Oxford Dictionary says:

"There is no logical reason for insisting that all right should be written as two words rather than as alright, when other single-word forms such as altogether have long been accepted. Nevertheless, alright is still regarded as being unacceptable in formal writing."

Alright?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should be the new standard handshake between everyone ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6yhsrHXAko#t=15
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't trust someone who declined to shake hands.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    I just don't know how we're all still alive.

Most of us are reasonably healthy due to exposure to the odd bit of dirt and germs, todays youngsters are far more sickly and get far more allergies etc and asthma, much due to the cleaning chemicals we use today and their general lack of exposure to things.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Most of us are reasonably healthy due to exposure to the odd bit of dirt and germs, todays youngsters are far more sickly and get far more allergies etc and asthma, much due to the cleaning chemicals we use today and their general lack of exposure to things.

Something that I've been trying to drum into my daughter-in-law's head. She freaks when picking up my grand-daughter who is usually muddy from head to toe and blissfully happy to have been making mud pies all day.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »

I would agree. As a kid I used to play in the dirt in the garden. I remember picking up worms and frightening my friend with them! :p I'm not an old biddy either, I'm a 90s kid. I'm quite a healthy specimen and I've never needed an operation or had to go to hospital. I've only ever been in hospital as a visitor (apart from being born in one, but I guess that doesn't count). I've had to go to the docs for things like ear infections though, but never anything serious. On the other hand my neighbour's kids are always getting sick and they're off school a lot with various illnesses. They don't look very healthy either.