Options

MP3 batteries question

I have always bought those disposable lighter sized MP3 players because they use a single AA or AAA battery. The reason being that i figure the rechargeable ones will sooner or later lose their charging power in much the same way as mobile phones. It's much easier to pick up a four-pack of AAs. Am i being a bit paranoid? What is the lifespan of a normal MP3 battery? And are they replaceable? I'd much prefer the other MP3 player because of the more easily readable/navigable screens.

Comments

• Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the time it runs out you could probably have saved the money you were spending on batteries and by a new one anyway.
  • Options
    fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    the advantage of lithium ion is ridiculous battery life at a small form factor. assuming you don't shorten the life of the battery by baking it in cars or always deep draining it(they like partial charges) you can get hundreds of charges out of them. apple claims 80% capacity remaining after 800 charges. lithium ion likes the low discharge rate of mp3 players so their life span is decent. and yea the thinking is at this time the capacity is increasing so quickly on mp3 players your player is essentially worth less than its battery in a few years.

like my 72x walkman, its mp3 battery life is 36 hours:P i hardly ever use more than half a charge. 10 hours video.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 3G iPod is still limping along, I can get a couple of hours out of it on shuffle and that's after having used it every day for the last (nearly) 5 years.