Traffic Lights

13»

Comments

• trigpointtrigpoint Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of things, first have a system turn lights ahead of emergency vehicles green to clear the traffic rather than force the emergency vehicle to wait while drivers squeeze into and up kerbs to clear a route.

Second, in Germany they used to have a system that as you approached red lights would tell you the speed to drive so as not to have to stop. For example in a 50mph limit it may tell you to drive at 40, or 30. It also had a flashing amber, which meant you will have to stop no matter how much you slow down.
  • SouthernerSoutherner Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he means the amber light you would normally see before green isn't in the phase, it just goes red to green, then green amber red. American signals do this very thing.

I personally haven't seen this happen on our signals, although I have seen some of the new LED ones show the amber signal incredibly fast before green showed.

Yes that's right! Sorry I meant to say amber instead of yellow. No amber before green in where I am, I live in Jersey.

Is this normal? Guernsey next door, like the UK mainland, has the amber before green unlike Jersey!
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does that work?
    Would one treat turning left as a give way as the traffic from the cross direction has a green light?

I don't get it. :o
    In the US a right turn is treated as a give way if the light is red unless signed otherwise.

In the UK many signalled junctions have pedestrian crossings and even a rule saying turning on red must give way to pedestrians would never work in the UK so it's a bad idea. A better way of having an unsignalled left turn at a signalled junction is to separate the left turn to a filter lane which is separate from the directions which are signalled, that way there is no need to pass a red signal. Like this.
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Southerner wrote: »
    Yes that's right! Sorry I meant to say amber instead of yellow. No amber before green in where I am, I live in Jersey.

Is this normal? Guernsey next door, like the UK mainland, has the amber before green unlike Jersey!
    You could have specified you weren't in the UK in your first post.
    Jersey and Guernsey have different road traffic laws from the UK, although there are a lot of similarities.
  • SouthernerSoutherner Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers Glen,

The Channel Islands are part of the UK, aren't they? This is something I have always been confused about.

It is referred that Jersey is independent in some way however here we are always tied to the UK and we are British too, we have the same shops, same currency, we fly the Union Jack with our flag, we watch BBC/ITV and we Jersey locals always talk about the going-ons in the mainland (I read the Daily Express) also have more in common with the English, Welsh etc instead of the French despite the island's French history.

I thought Jersey's traffic rules are the same as the mainland's as road signs and traffic lights look exactly the same also our highway code booklet is practically identical to the UK version!

I realise with Jersey being self governed may have something to do with our traffic lights not using the amber before green phase - bit silly really as Guernsey is also self governing though they do use the amber before green....

Thanks though!
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Southerner wrote: »
    The Channel Islands are part of the UK, aren't they?
    No, they are not.