Bang Pulled off Air (Adult)

NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
Forum Member
Ofcom has pulled four adult entertainment channels off air following “serious and repeated breaches” of broadcasting regulations.

Tease Me, Tease Me TV and Tease Me 2 and 3 - owned by Bang Channels and Bang Media - have become the first ever stations to have had their licences revoked by media regulator Ofcom for not being “fit and proper”.

The channels, which were taken off air last Friday, were free-to-air and encouraged viewers to contact on-screen female presenters via premium rate telephone services during pre-watershed hours.

They also transmitted content deemed “too sexually explicit” for the time of day and which should have been behind a paywall.

“Some of the material broadcast was so strong that it would be considered equivalent to ‘hardcore’ BBFC R18 rated material. This is not permitted on British TV – either free-to-air or under encryption,” Ofcom added.

The Bang Channels stations had already been fined £157,250 in July for serious breaches of the Broadcasting Code, at which time Ofcom warned of the company’s “reckless” and “inadequate” compliance system.

It added: “The licencees have repeatedly failed to comply with Ofcom’s rules in the last 18 months and over 60 breaches have been recorded.”

The media regulator now plans to meet with all adult entertainment groups to ensure they are aware of how serious it is about protecting viewers.

“Audiences should be assured that we will continue to take action to stop broadcasters breaching the rules in this area,” said Chris Banatvala, Ofcom’s director of standards.

Bang Channels had not responded to calls for comment at the time of publication but is expected to issue a statement.

Source: Broadcastnow.

My Comment: It's time all these "Adult" channels were pulled off-air from the very limited transmittion bandwidth platform, DTT/Freeview.

Ok, now, before someone asks... "what will the broadcasters do with the overnight space not being used", well.... Top Up TV could rent space so they can allow ESPN to go 24 hours and have TUTV content on other stream(s).

Comments

• daniel2015daniel2015 Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • marria01marria01 Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Bang Pulled off Air (Adult)
    Amusing choice of words.... ;-)
  • plane spotterplane spotter Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is about time that this filth was pulled of the air.
    The gambling channels should be next.
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marria01 wrote: »

Yes, you could say that the Bang Channel is now f**ked. :D
  • NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    marria01 wrote: »

Thanks, I think, lol :D
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    It is about time that this filth was pulled of the air.
    The gambling channels should be next.

Filth won't be taken off air as it has a lot of phone calls, so unfortunately it is there to stay. Bang didn't and as a result got pulled the plug and couldn't afford the fines, so the license was revoked and it got taken off air.:)
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No being viewer of such channels - but a reader of the OFCOM Broadcast Bulletin .(which I will suggest people should do)
    Some of the material Bang MEdia transmitted was very very strong even for an encrypted channel and they used DTT at a time when Children would be likely to be watching unsupervised. .. and they seemed to have a lot of offensive material even after they had been warned and fined...

and they then were is breach of Condition11 and generally did not talk to teh regulator except at the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    As I already wrote, we (our families, our kids, our grannies) could have nice channels like TheFoodNetwork, TravelChannel, Movies24, Kix!, Pop! etch... instead of this rubbish, can't we really make a difference and ask Ofcom to clean Freeview?

https://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/specific-programme-epg

Why don't we try to ask Ofcom to kick out these adult channel to make some space for nice ones?
  • DerekMcVDerekMcV Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume this was down to its satellite channels as the freeview content doesn't start until after 11pm. Its 24-7 on sky. If people are worried don't forget you can delete them on most boxes or TVs. Money always wins so I can't see them stop broadcasting. There must be enough dumb people calling the chat lines I guess to make them a profit.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    pheron wrote: »
    As I already wrote, we (our families, our kids, our grannies) could have nice channels like TheFoodNetwork, TravelChannel, Movies24, Kix!, Pop! etch... instead of this rubbish, can't we really make a difference and ask Ofcom to clean Freeview?

https://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/specific-programme-epg

Why don't we try to ask Ofcom to kick out these adult channel to make some space for nice ones?

Ask away! You won't get TheFoodNetwork, TravelChannel, Movies24, Kix!, Pop! etc, as the economics of "middle of the night" commercial broadcasting mean that even ITV can't make money at it without resorting to 'teleshopping' so you're only ever likely to end up with black screens or a second/third cycle of time-shifted repeats (a channel calling itself 'Movies24' which broadcast for 4 hours in the small hours would be a stupid idea anyway!)
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pheron wrote: »

and act ultra vires!!!!!
    and thus end OFCOM - !!!

These channels are legal because the assorted Communications Acts permit them ....
    so get lobbying for the next one in a few years time (the last is 2003)

So if they are to be stopped - on DTT is it fairly easy - just outbid them with the Mux operator when the contract comes to an end... on DSAT is is a bit more difficult!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    If we continue to say "we can't do nothing and we have to ACCEPT PASSIVELY what they decide to let us to watch"... well... things will never change in better... :mad:
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing you can do is not watch and hope it gets reflected in the ratings, which is all that matters, not your own opinion. Democracy rules OK.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NEWLINEtv wrote: »
    My Comment: It's time all these "Adult" channels were pulled off-air from the very limited transmittion bandwidth platform, DTT/Freeview.

I said elsewhere they pay for the airtime so have every right to broadcast on DTT.

Also this ADULT infront of the naming is wrong from Ofcom. There's parental controls on boxes what next NEWS: BBC News? Music: 4Music?

1am - 5am is not making money for advertising channels so either you revert channels like Film4 back to pay TV or you sell airtime which gives them additional revenues on top of advertising. There's no decent channels willing to take those hours so either you see blank screens or channels going back behind pay wall or they sell to adult/quiz/teleshopping.

Take your pick? I go for the teleshopping/quiz/adult if it keeps these channels on DTT? The snobbery on the DTT platform is unbelievable. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said elsewhere they pay for the airtime so have every right to broadcast on DTT.

Also this ADULT infront of the naming is wrong from Ofcom. There's parental controls on boxes what next NEWS: BBC News? Music: 4Music?

1am - 5am is not making money for advertising channels so either you revert channels like Film4 back to pay TV or you sell airtime which gives them additional revenues on top of advertising. There's no decent channels willing to take those hours so either you see blank screens or channels going back behind pay wall or they sell to adult/quiz/teleshopping.

Take your pick? I go for the teleshopping/quiz/adult if it keeps these channels on DTT? The snobbery on the DTT platform is unbelievable. :rolleyes:

I'd personally like to see teleshopping in channels downtime rather than Adult content, then if there is a technical fault and the channels don't switch when they are supposed to or we get the switch but say Channel One for example ends up accidentally showing Adult content on it's LCN it would affect Channel One as OFCOM would come down on them like a tonn of bricks, where as if the same were to happen with teleshopping in it's downtime then it wouldn't matter if there was a mess up with transmission.

Roland
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed the latest extension of Create & Craft will see LCN96 Babestation Extreme end at 4.50am and LCN36 Create & Craft start at 5am. Although they use different PIDs, Bstn is PIN encrypted & the programming ends at 4.50am. I suspect that 5am-8am slot was left blank for the very reason you mention. However if anything did go wrong Arqiva would be responsible and I suspect manual intervention would be rapidly applied in the 10 minute window. I always thought that leaving 1 hour after TVX and then another hour before FIVER started was overkill. 10 minutes should be enough time to detect an error. In any case when Babestation ended I would pull out the plug just to be safe if I was working in Arqiva's MCR..
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Yes, you could say that the Bang Channel is now f**ked. :D

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rolandh wrote: »
    I'd personally like to see teleshopping in channels downtime rather than Adult content, then if there is a technical fault and the channels don't switch when they are supposed to or we get the switch but say Channel One for example ends up accidentally showing Adult content on it's LCN it would affect Channel One as OFCOM would come down on them like a tonn of bricks, where as if the same were to happen with teleshopping in it's downtime then it wouldn't matter if there was a mess up with transmission.

Roland

I don't mind what goes on it but I don't understand why anybody wants to buy from these late night shopping channels. Usually it's the cheap JML stuff or work out stuff. :eek:
  • daniel2015daniel2015 Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCN 98 ADULT TMTV Has lost its off air graphic so it would appear that this channel has now closed and LCN 98 has been reduced to a placeholder.

The question is will channel one get the hours back and become a 24 hour channel.

Hope so!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daniel2015 wrote: »
    LCN 98 ADULT TMTV Has lost its off air graphic so it would appear that this channel has now closed and LCN 98 has been reduced to a placeholder.

The question is will channel one get the hours back and become a 24 hour channel.

Hope so!

On Sky Psychic TV has the 12am - 3am hours then it's Passport Patrol and Brit Cops into the early morning.

Hardly much better is it?
  • AcciesAccies Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Would say that I never watch them,and have deleted them from my Freeview list,but surely late-night tv can cater for all tastes.Just because some people don't like it is not enough reason to take it off.There must obviously be sufficient people who watch to make it financially viable,so who are we to want it stopped.Television for all tastes I say.:cool: