• Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Deleted. Multiple posting thing. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    You're joking, of course. Please, tell me that you're joking.

Or do you genuinely believe that every single not-guilty verdict in a rape trial automatically means that the alleged victims are 'liars'? I'm not saying the verdict is wrong in this case. But it's safe to say there are numerous cases where guilty people have escaped justice thanks to insufficient evidence and other reasons.

A report in 2007 estimated that between 75% and 95% of rapes already go unreported. If every not guilty verdict resulted in the alleged victims subsequently being arrested, those already low numbers would plummet.

Or does your 'string 'em up and make an example of 'em' policy only apply when the alleged rapist is an actor in soap opera you enjoy?
    False claims are often because of false memory, poor memory, misunderstandings or mental illness. But
    in this case the judge made it clear it was a question of lies.

Before the jurors retired, trial judge Mr Justice Holroyde reminded them of the prosecution's central claims, made by Anne Whyte QC in her closing speech.

"The reality in the case is that either Mr Roache is lying or the complainants are," he said.
    END QUOTE
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bill-roache-trial-recap-updates-3113054#ixzz2sXtdspzw
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook
  • Options
    Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like him to return but at the age of 81, do you think he may think now, im too old to get back into it properly

He's said he never wants to retire...
    and if he does thing that he could always come back film a exit storyline and leave..?
  • Options
    Knives326Knives326 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    I'm sure he will be back.

Ken won't leave CS until he's carried off.
  • Options
    NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to his return, I have missed him in the Barlow household.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    I hope it means Deirdre is still going to be as funny as she has been without him.
    Hope so too.

Same with Sally once Kevin returns. She's been rejuvenated after hooking up with Tim.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope so too.

Same with Sally once Kevin returns. She's been rejuvenated after hooking up with Tim.

Any news when Kev will return, i cant wait for him to return.
  • Options
    NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Michael Le Vell just started filming recently I believe, so perhaps in the next month or so we will see him again.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I read somewhere that it was the end of March. :)
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love for Ken to return to the cobbles, where he absolutely belongs after over 50 years, but tbh, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Bill Roache felt so utterly depressed and demoralised after his horrendous experience over the last year, that he just wanted to retire from the celebrity life altogether and try and heal his wounds in the privacy of his home, with his loyal family. :(
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Acquittal means you are not guilty, which means that the the jury was not persuaded of the defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt (or the judge wasn't, either because it was a bench trial or because the judge directed a verdict of acquittal). That does not mean that the prosecution was frivolous or malicious.

2. That's pretty much what you'd have to show in order to get your fees back. Even then, you'd have to file a separate lawsuit for malicious prosecution.
    The elements of a malicious prosecution case are usually something like this:

First. The plaintiff must establish the existence of a criminal judicial proceeding against him/her. On this subject the (undisputed) facts are (state the nature of the criminal charge instituted against the plaintiff, the name of the judicial tribunal in which it was instituted, etc.)
    Second. The plaintiff must establish that the defendant was responsible for or caused that proceeding to be instituted against him/her.
    On this subject the (undisputed) facts are (state what the defendant did to initiate the criminal judicial proceeding against the plaintiff such as signing a complaint, etc.)
    Third. The plaintiff must establish that the criminal proceeding terminated favorably to him/her or in a manner not adverse to him/her.
    On this subject the (undisputed) facts are (state facts relating to the nature of the termination, such as a termination in his/her favor, a failure of

the grand jury to indict, a failure of the magistrate to find a prima facie case, a voluntary withdrawal or abandonment, etc.).
    Fourth. The plaintiff must establish a lack of reasonable or probable cause for the criminal prosecution.
    Fifth. The plaintiff must establish that the defendant was activated by a malicious motive in prosecuting the criminal complaint against him/her.
    The malice contemplated by this element is not malice in the sense that the word is sometimes used. The kind of malice I speak of means the intentional doing of a wrongful or unlawful act without just cause or excuse. Such malice is an intentional act which an ordinarily cautious man would realize that under ordinary circumstances damage would result to one's person or property, and which does in fact damage another's person or property. The element of malice may be inferred from a lack of reasonable or probable cause.
    Sixth. The last element that must be proved is that the plaintiff suffered damage, as I shall later define that term, as a proximate result of a malicious prosecution.

Thanks. So even if there was a malicious motive in bringing the case against him (and I don't think the CPS intended that), it will STILL be down to the plaintiff to prove malicious intent existed against him?! Outside this, you can forget recuperating any cost.

It's the truly innocent men (as the jury thought the evidence clearly showed) that I feel terribly sorry. Honestly, how is the ordinary Joe Bloggs off the street supposed to deal with such things if they want the best defence they can get? All that on top of being left with the legacy of a rape accusation hanging over his head.

It's true what WR said in his statement, in cases such as his, no-one comes out the winner. Very sad. Very, very sad indeed.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    False claims are often because of false memory, poor memory, misunderstandings or mental illness. But
    in this case the judge made it clear it was a question of lies.

Before the jurors retired, trial judge Mr Justice Holroyde reminded them of the prosecution's central claims, made by Anne Whyte QC in her closing speech.

"The reality in the case is that either Mr Roache is lying or the complainants are," he said.
    END QUOTE
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bill-roache-trial-recap-updates-3113054#ixzz2sXtdspzw
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Also, false claims can include someone just being plain malicious or they trying to cover up some mistake they've done and is too ashamed to own up to it (e.g. sleeping with someone when they are in a relationship with someone else). There have also been stories of ex-girlfriends making up claims against ex-boyfriends. They could also make accusations for want of the fuss and attention (which could also be down to mental illness of some kind).

These kind of accusations are rare, I should think and I accept, but they do happen nonetheless.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, I would still like him to stay in Canada. I had not missed him at all ** , and Deirdre seemed less Dreary without him, she had more sparkle and personality.

** though his son may have missed him at his wedding recently.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope it means Deirdre is still going to be as funny as she has been without him.

She was funny?
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I would love for Ken to return to the cobbles, where he absolutely belongs after over 50 years, but tbh, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Bill Roache felt so utterly depressed and demoralised after his horrendous experience over the last year, that he just wanted to retire from the celebrity life altogether and try and heal his wounds in the privacy of his home, with his loyal family. :(

I doubt it, Bill Roache has always struck me as someone who sees himself as the king of the Street,being the longest serving soap character he won't give that up without a fight. Ken will be back by Autumn, a shame as both Sally and Deirdre have thrived since Kevin and Ken have been off screen, I don't want Deirdre to suddenly go back to being the thick airhead and oblivious to Tracey and her wicked ways that she was before, also its been refreshing seeing her out more and interacting with other characters. Likewise with Sally, the whole Sally and Kevin thing has been done so many times and at the moment Sally and Tim are two of the best characters in the show, however with Kevin back I am not sure there is room for him and Tim.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    I doubt it, Bill Roache has always struck me as someone who sees himself as the king of the Street,being the longest serving soap character he won't give that up without a fight. Ken will be back by Autumn, a shame as both Sally and Deirdre have thrived since Kevin and Ken have been off screen, I don't want Deirdre to suddenly go back to being the thick airhead and oblivious to Tracey and her wicked ways that she was before, also its been refreshing seeing her out more and interacting with other characters. Likewise with Sally, the whole Sally and Kevin thing has been done so many times and at the moment Sally and Tim are two of the best characters in the show, however with Kevin back I am not sure there is room for him and Tim.

The same Deirdre who still allowed Rob and Tracy to live at number 1 despite the fact they trashed the living room to fake a robbery and scare her? Or the Deirdre who goes on about stuffed marrow and acts like a pathetic comedy character. She comes off as a thick moron, just like Gail.

Plus I think the actress will beg to differ and will be glad of his return and working with him again. Amazing because people don't like the character that doesn't give Bill a right to return to work, especially as he had little choice but to take a break.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure he will be back to pottering about and reading the paper, it'll be nice to see him back with Deirdre
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'll be back, but I suspect they might plan to write him out. That way he gets a proper send off as befits a soap legend, but they sidestep any lingering controversy (not that there should be any).

Deirdre can stop being a barfly and hang out in her own front room again.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think William will quit Corrie its hard to come back from something like this he has experienced
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cruel, and unfair, thing here is that William Roache, proved to be an innocent man, has had his name and face emblazened across the media worldwide; but the accusers are allowed to hide behind a cloak of anonimity. They are not children, who need to be protected, they are adult women, who, if they are telling the truth, should stand up and be counted. This law must be amended.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cruel, and unfair, thing here is that William Roache, proved to be an innocent man, has had his name and face emblazened across the media worldwide; but the accusers are allowed to hide behind a cloak of anonimity. They are not children, who need to be protected, they are adult women, who, if they are telling the truth, should stand up and be counted. This law must be amended.

But that might deter the genuine victims of crimes from coming forward.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never once believed he was guilty, and I still stand by this. I hope he gets back to work and gets his life back on track as soon as possible, and I also hope that those that falsely accused him are named, shamed and jailed.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bother, I had hoped he would stay in Canada. I certainly prefer Deirdre's character without him.
    Maybe Adam will return with him?

* searches for yawn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-26081647
    Coronation Street actor William Roache will make his return as Ken Barlow in the summer, the BBC understands.
  • Options
    FlickJFlickJ Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Ken will DO SOMETHING again at long last!

:D:D:D
  • Options
    writer_composerwriter_composer Posts: 1,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like him to return but at the age of 81, do you think he may think now, im too old to get back into it properly

June Brown. Dot Branning. EE. Age wouldn't hinder him I don't think