Cathy in Corrie - likeable or annoying?

Comments

• BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Still not sold on Cathy. Comes across as a moocher.
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,463
    Forum Member
    I'm finding her more and more unbearable. She's very rude to Roy - when he was upset by the crumbs she'd left in the butter she made a really cheeky comment about phoning the police >:( And how dare she leave crumbs in the butter at someone else's house anyway? >:(>:(:D

Cathy has made no effort to fit in with Roy and do things his way, despite her pathetic shuffling she's quite arrogant really.

I thought she was only staying for a while but she seems quite settled. Poor Roy, it must be Purgatory for him having her there :(:(:(
  • rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    i want roy and Mary to get together
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm warming to her
  • callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rolergirl wrote: »
    i want roy and Mary to get together

No no no, sorry, Mary is worse. Roy doesn't deserve that over the top idiot.
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    sam_gee wrote: »
    I'm finding her more and more unbearable. She's very rude to Roy - when he was upset by the crumbs she'd left in the butter she made a really cheeky comment about phoning the police >:( And how dare she leave crumbs in the butter at someone else's house anyway? >:(>:(:D

Cathy has made no effort to fit in with Roy and do things his way, despite her pathetic shuffling she's quite arrogant really.

I thought she was only staying for a while but she seems quite settled. Poor Roy, it must be Purgatory for him having her there :(:(:(

I agree. Awful, horrid, tedious character.
  • GoinGagaGoinGaga Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I'm a fan but that could be to do with Melanie Hill. I've never liked her acting in anything I've seen her in. That's not to say she's a bad actress as I don't think she is, I just don't like her style. I think I could have warmed to Cathy more if she'd been played by somebody else, perhaps an actress who had a bit more chemistry with Roy's actor.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Nope, sorry...still can't warm to her.

Still comes across as overbearing, needy and has distinct mooching qualities. Barely been at Roy's five minutes and calling the shots.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked her at the art class but she's gone back to being a miserable, self deprecating moo again with Anna questioning about her feelings for Roy.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is a dreadful character

and so is the nephew.

Stuart Blackburn needs to be fired.......from a cannon off a cliff
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find her irritating. Too over the top / exaggerated.

No idea about the actresses ability as I have not seen her in anything else.

I really hope that she doesn't become a love interest as I believe that someone like Roy would be faithful to one person to his death.

Roy would be faithful to one person to his death.
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,463
    Forum Member
    I'm starting to hate her a bit now she thinks she's in with a chance with Roy, and she's paired up with Anna. I don't believe Roy has any ideas like that about her - I hope not anyway. Roy might get involved with someone in future - but not yet and definitely not her. Cathy would destroy Roy's peace with her mess and noise.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is annoying, and played by an actress who can't act. Hope she's gone soon, but knowing Blackburn, she will be sticking around.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found her very annoying to begin with but I'm liking her more now.
  • craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    She is annoying, and played by an actress who can't act. Hope she's gone soon, but knowing Blackburn, she will be sticking around.

The actress has proved to be outstanding in some of Britains best loved dramas, so whilst i fully respect your opinion, it isn't one that I agree with.

I don't particularly like the character but the actress is more than capable IMO.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is a dreadful character

and so is the nephew.

Stuart Blackburn needs to be fired.......from a cannon off a cliff

Bit tight considering the lad has down syndrome ... I thought he did well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Bit tight considering the lad has down syndrome ... I thought he did well

I'm not so sure about the direction of the character as some ladies man, cheeky chappy type, and some of his lines start out a bit forced but the actor has done really well in my opinion.
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sean Bean and Roy Cropper. Cathy knows how to pull 'em. :cool:
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    I didn't mind her when she was trying to be supportive to Roy while the news of Hope's cancer affected him, but she's annoyed me again now she's talking about having feelings for him and wanting to be more than friends. BACK OFF. >:( He's clearly not ready for anyone else and he doesn't have to be with anyone, Hayley was his one true love. Cathy's seen how sensitive Roy has been whenever it's been assumed that he and Cathy are more than just friends so she knows he's not ready to go there and should respect that and tell nosy Anna to leave it be.
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Mel94 wrote: »
    I didn't mind her when she was trying to be supportive to Roy while the news of Hope's cancer affected him, but she's annoyed me again now she's talking about having feelings for him and wanting to be more than friends. BACK OFF. >:( He's clearly not ready for anyone else and he doesn't have to be with anyone, Hayley was his one true love. Cathy's seen how sensitive Roy has been whenever it's been assumed that he and Cathy are more than just friends so she knows he's not ready to go there and should respect that and tell nosy Anna to leave it be.

I've never liked her but otherwise I totally agree. As if Roy would start another relationship 18 months after Hayley's death, if at all.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is more to her nephew, possibly she is his mum, but passed him over cause of his disablity, and he knows of her as his aunt.

Being disabled myself, I feel he needs to get a storyline, so he doesnt endup as the token disabled cast member.
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't like the way Cathy's character is going. Telling Anna Fishwife that she has feelings for Roy and Anna egging her on is all a bit yukky.

I cannot stand Cathy, she is a moocher in the same vein as Michael, playing the "poor me" card and have everyone running round after her. So, she lost her husband, as have many many women, so she is/was a hoarder, ditto so are many people, although their hoarding is not as pristine as hers.

Now we have her nephew turning up and expecting to stay, what's the betting that he will keep on doing this until his mother either lets him stay permanently or she moves into the Street with him. Is there an empty property for them to have?

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that her nephews mother may get on with Roy and there will be a love triangle with Cathy, Roy and the boy's ma. I wouldn't put anything past The Hat, every character and s/l he introduces is ridiculous and Cathy is one of the worst.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She really bloody annoys me. There's been a few characters in the past that I couldn't stand but ended up growing to like, but I don't see it happening here. I do think it's a combination of bad acting and a poorly constructed storyline.
  • Hanna_YasminHanna_Yasmin Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate the way she helps herself to Roy's things, and stuff like letting her nephew come and stay at Roy's, without asking him first. I've never taken a penny off anyone in my adult life, and I'm always the one who people borrow and cadge off (and never return it) so Cathy hits a nerve with me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate the way she helps herself to Roy's things, and stuff like letting her nephew come and stay at Roy's, without asking him first. I've never taken a penny off anyone in my adult life, and I'm always the one who people borrow and cadge off (and never return it) so Cathy hits a nerve with me!

The nephew arrived simply on a day trip to see Cathy, when it transpired that he had actually ran away after an argument with his mother and was begging her to let him stay with her to give them some space, Roy stepped in and offered his sofa.

Kathy was also going to move home some time ago, it was actually Roy who made it clear that he enjoyed her being around whilst the Hope stuff was going on, so she stayed.