Options

Girl Groups: Is there any point in them on The X-Factor?

Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know a girl group won over a boy group on Popstars: The Rivals, but that was a different format, but I really believe that there is little point in girl groups entering The X-Factor.

OK, Miss Frank were a bit ropey in their sing-off performance, but in actuality, they did not deserve to be in the bottom 2.

How can it be right that 3 girls who have proven that they can sing are voted out & the likes of Lloyd & John & Edward, who've never sung well once, or Stacey, who was dreadful last Saturday are still in the competition?

It seems to me that there is little point in girl groups entering if there is no real fan base for them.:confused:

Comments

• Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss Frank could have been big, IMO.
  • Options
    CaudlehalbardCaudlehalbard Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - teen girls will rarely vote for girl groups.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. I'm actually surprised that Louis once again put through 2 out of his 3 slots knowing what happened the year before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    You have a point.

Look at last year when Bad Lashes and Girlband left in first two weeks

Addictive Ladies left first in X Factor 2

I suppose Hope have done the best and then the Conway Sisters if memory serves me corrrectly..........
  • Options
    Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    miss frank are proof that, there should still be girlbands in the x factor. the british public tend to have no idea what they are doing when it comes to voting, until the final night that is, when the right person usually wins. . i think girlbands will always be on the x factor, but just for variety value. they will never win. if miss frank cant make it past the first few weeks, then no other girl group will. it all seems just so unfair
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonny84 wrote: »
    You have a point.

Look at last year when Bad Lashes and Girlband left in first two weeks

Addictive Ladies left first in X Factor 2

I suppose Hope have done the best and then the Conway Sisters if memory serves me corrrectly..........

Hope were saved by the judges vote 3 times before they were finally ousted in 5th place. The Conway's were saved twice before being ousted in 6th place.

All that really shows is that the judges were desperate to keep them in the competition when it was obvious the public hadn't taken to them.
  • Options
    steal-your-painsteal-your-pain Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to be somewhat distinct. Boybands do quite badly as well...the only successful ones have been Eton Road (unique and likable, didn't take themselves too seriously), and JLS (good-looking and overhyped).
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't think any girl group has a chance tbh. On the other hand if you are a young half attractive teenage guy you could make the final :P
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All female groups on X Factor:

Voices With Soul - 6th (bottom 2 weeks 1, 3 & 5)
    Addictiv Ladies - 12th (bottom 2 week 1)
    The Conway Sisters - 6th (bottom 2 weeks 5, 6 & 7)
    Hope - 5th (bottom 2 weeks 3, 5 & 6, out week 7)
    Bad Lashes - 12th (bottom 2 week 1)
    Girlband - 11th (bottom 2 weeks 1 & 2)
    Kandy Rain - 12th (bottom 2 week 1)
    Miss Frank - 10th (bottom 2 week 3)

So Hope have done the best, and that was with Simon really pushing them to do well. The Conway Sisters did surprisingly well for a girl band, they made it 4 weeks without being in the bottom 2 which is longer than any of the others. If I was a judge I wouldn't put a girl band through, I thought Miss Frank were really good but clearly there's no point.
  • Options
    GRAHAM2109GRAHAM2109 Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I think they should do away with the groups. They should have a male and female catergory for the over 24's
  • Options
    reclinewithmereclinewithme Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There would be a point if they were any good - but all too often there is at least one genuinely weak singer who upsets the whole dynamic. It's not enough just to look the part - even on the X Factor! Miss Frank were OK, but not good enough; as individual singers the two non-rappers were noticeably less talented than most of the solo acts. You need all the members to be strong singers. Unfortunately there's too much of this "well you look like pop stars, you've got a great attitude!" stuff fed to the groups in the early stages of the competition; but when they get to the live finals, the audience don't vote for them because they're not good enough. Being in a group may seem like a good place to hide if you're pretty but can't sing, but eventually you're going to be called on to do at least a few lines by yourself, and there's no hiding place then!
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GRAHAM2109 wrote: »
    I think they should do away with the groups. They should have a male and female catergory for the over 24's

Personally I think they should keep the groups but broaden the category - let them play their own instruments, etc - otherwise you're always going to have the identikit boyband/girlband/duo etc.
  • Options
    nikki1nikki1 Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a girl group won over a boy group on Popstars: The Rivals, but that was a different format, but I really believe that there is little point in girl groups entering The X-Factor.

OK, Miss Frank were a bit ropey in their sing-off performance, but in actuality, they did not deserve to be in the bottom 2.

How can it be right that 3 girls who have proven that they can sing are voted out & the likes of Lloyd & John & Edward, who've never sung well once, or Stacey, who was dreadful last Saturday are still in the competition?

It seems to me that there is little point in girl groups entering if there is no real fan base for them.:confused:

Good point, Maybe there should be a reality show to find a new girl band.
  • Options
    Slick NickSlick Nick Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they got 4 Stacey types together, they'd go down well with the voting demographic. They'd all bond over DKNY onesies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There would be a point if they were any good - but all too often there is at least one genuinely weak singer who upsets the whole dynamic. It's not enough just to look the part - even on the X Factor! Miss Frank were OK, but not good enough; as individual singers they were noticeably less talented than most of the solo acts. You need all the members to be strong singers. Unfortunately there's too much of this "well you look like pop stars, you've got a great attitude!" stuff fed to the groups in the early stages of the competition; but when they get to the live finals, the audience don't vote for them because they're not good enough. Being in a group may seem like a good place to hide if you're pretty but can't sing, but eventually you're going to be called on to do at least a few lines by yourself, and there's no hiding place then!

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there.

What you've said is brought into focus when they judges said to Lloyd that he'd be better in a group.

It's as if they acknowledge that they use groups to cover of deficiencies in individual singers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nikki1 wrote: »
    Good point, Maybe there should be a reality show to find a new girl band.

I think that might be the only way you'd get a girl group out of a reality show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think groups in general do that well. Ok G4 and JLS did alright and Journey south came third thanks to simon but we all know non of them are particularly outstanding because we have much higher standards and a higher quality of singers in the other categories because there is no where else to hide. Perhaps they should lump the overs and groups together and have 2 'wild card' categories made out of the best of them.

I think people enter as a group knowing how rubbish groups are and that 3 acts have to be groups for the finals.. its a shame to have crap groups as opposed to the talneted overs that went out..
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a mystery to me. Out of all the girl groups there have been over all series, Miss Frank really had great potential. When they were on it, they were really on it. Their performance Saturday night was leagues ahead of most of the others. They were fresh, original ... have given up trying to fathom out what the public want :rolleyes:
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slick Nick wrote: »
    If they got 4 Stacey types together, they'd go down well with the voting demographic. They'd all bond over DKNY onesies.

4 Staceys........... jesus :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    I don't know why the Bad Lashes/Kandy Rain types even bother entering any more, to be honest, they go out week 1 almost without fail. As others have said - tweenie girls, grannies and gays (the 3Gs of X Factor voting demographic, may have to patent that :p) WILL NOT VOTE for sexy female groups, unless they are ridiculously talented, and unrealistically so in the context of this show. And let's be honest, none of the girl groups we've had so far in 6 seasons have been that great (unless I've forgotten some).

Groups like Sugababes (earlier incarnations!) work in the charts because people do at least bother to listen for quality before spending their money - hence Eggnog's 'career' of doom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quinners17 wrote: »
    I don't know why the Bad Lashes/Kandy Rain types even bother entering any more, to be honest, they go out week 1 almost without fail. As others have said - tweenie girls, grannies and gays (the 3Gs of X Factor voting demographic, may have to patent that :p) WILL NOT VOTE for sexy female groups, unless they are ridiculously talented, and unrealistically so in the context of this show. And let's be honest, none of the girl groups we've had so far in 6 seasons have been that great (unless I've forgotten some).

Groups like Sugababes (earlier incarnations!) work in the charts because people do at least bother to listen for quality before spending their money - hence Eggnog's 'career' of doom.

Established Girlgroups ie Saturday's, Girls Aloud, Sugarbabes, Spice Girls etc work because they have had the time and money invested in them. Harmonising vocals and putting together an image takes time....not a couple of weeks before the live shows starts. No wonder they are mostly crap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually thought Miss Frank were going to break the "tradition" of girl groups and get to at least Week 6 without bottom two. Was very dissapointed and let down when they got eliminated in only the third week! :(
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    I actually thought Miss Frank were going to break the "tradition" of girl groups and get to at least Week 6 without bottom two. Was very dissapointed and let down when they got eliminated in only the third week! :(

I know! And the salt was added to wound with the fact that they were bottom 2 with Danyl.
  • Options
    pgw71pgw71 Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GRAHAM2109 wrote: »

I agree with that

It's obviously a bit pointless having the identikit girl bands. Notice how the 'novelty' acts like the McDonalds, Same Difference and John / Edward end up doing better than the 'proper' girl groups - says it all really
  • Options
    James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think girl groups will EVER do well on X Factor. I've only watched from the third series (and some of the second) but a lot of the good girl groups got sent home (notably the Dolly Rockers) at Judges' Houses, and in other cases the public's just turned on them. Conways, Hope and this time round Kandy Rain all got that treatment, and I think Miss Frank's time was limited. One trick ponies, mainly thanks to the fat one in the middle insisting on killing perfectly good songs with chavvy rapping.