Options

The Multiverse theory

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe no one has mentioed the originator of this theory Hugh Everett yet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

Not sure if its been posted

There is a BBC4 documentary about him and his theory, which is in laymons terms called Parallel Worlds, Paralel Lives where Hugh's son, who has very little knowledge of the the theory goes on a journey to try to understand it. It is in 6 parts on Youtube.

Part 1 here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnnA3sgMXCI&feature=related

(appologies if this link was posted before but I couldn't seem to open the others!
  • Options
    PapaleekiePapaleekie Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    This theory makes me wonder whether we are actually the product of our parents, for the chances of them existing, meeting, procreating to produce me in every possible universe seems mathematically improbable.
    Heck, the odds of them doing that in THIS universe is pretty remote! This links in with the other thread concerning self and consciousness. The questions are infinite; is there such a thing as universal truth?
    When we die in this Universe, do we continue to live in a parallel one; what happens to our self awareness/soul? Is it beyond our understanding-it's certainly beyond mine.
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    You literally believe there's a universe just like this one (or many) but a bit different?

Fascinating. I can understand that but I can't fathom it.

Far more likely than some mythical bloke with a white beard waving his wand and saying 'let there be light'.
  • Options
    Dave5158Dave5158 Posts: 952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole 'Multiverse' idea could get us round the problem people have with the 'Big Bang'.

If our universe came into existence in another universe, with its own constants, we would be unable to see beyond the universal bounderies. Time would have its own, seperate, rules meaning all we have experienced could have happened in a, realativly, short time.

Edited in view of the post above mine.

Perhaps this 'myhical bloke with a white beard' was a scientist in the other universe pressing a button on thier equivalent of the Large Hadron Collider'
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poor old William of Ockham and his shaving utensils.

Let's invent an infinite number of universes to explain the Goldilocks enigma.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    I've been reading Michio Kaku's books Hyperspace and Parallel Worlds which have a lot to do with this topic and are, in my opinion, very good.

Quantum theory, string theory (and the related M-Theory), multi-dimensional space - it's all fascinating, if slightly boggling stuff. I wish I was a physicist but can't grasp the maths!