MacBook - Bottom row of keys not working

kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a wee bit of advice about a MacBook that my friend has loaned me last year. I'm completely new to Macs so I don't really know much about them, but I just started it up today after not touching it for about 4 months, and the bottom row of keys aren't working (zxcvbnm etc) and I've no idea what's caused it.

Has this happened to anyone else and was there a solution? I don't want to have to ship it back to her in a state of disrepair!

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well technically according to apple fans theres nothing that can go wrong with the blessed gear, but i'd say the keyboard part has developed a problem, now if you haven't been keeping up with your prayers to the jobsian one then thats one while wearing a turtle neck we are left with the fact its a duff keyboard probably due to the environment it was stored in, so take it to an apple store as they'll sort it out and if you are female and look sorry enough you might even get it done for free
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Well technically according to apple fans theres nothing that can go wrong with the blessed gear, but i'd say the keyboard part has developed a problem, now if you haven't been keeping up with your prayers to the jobsian one then thats one while wearing a turtle neck we are left with the fact its a duff keyboard probably due to the environment it was stored in, so take it to an apple store as they'll sort it out and if you are female and look sorry enough you might even get it done for free

:D Brilliant! Hmm, an Apple store will be most difficult to find on Orkney, but I gathered it was probably a buggered board (some folk had suggested it was due to the battery pressing into the body of the machine or the likes). I'm just glad it's not really missed by my friend (there's about 6 macs in her house for some odd reason) :D
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might be of use... but it requires a bit of technical hoking about...

https://discussions.apple.com/message/6571108?messageID=6571108#6571108?messageID=6571108
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    This might be of use... but it requires a bit of technical hoking about...

https://discussions.apple.com/message/6571108?messageID=6571108#6571108?messageID=6571108

Hmmm, I like tinkering about. I'll have a think and see if it's worth messing about with it at the weekend when I have some free time during the day. Many thanks both of you.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The keyboards are replaceable:
    http://youtu.be/75IddbU4eSo
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »

So true :D You have to pray to the Jobsian one while facing Cupertino and wearing a black turtleneck. Oh and if you're caught using Windows on a Mac the men in black turtlenecks will visit your house and they are not forgiving. If you're caught using Vista they'll take your Mac away :eek: Remember Mac users, His Jobsness in the iCloud is always watching ;)
  • muchlymuchly Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    So true :D You have to pray to the Jobsian one while facing Cupertino and wearing a black turtleneck. Oh and if you're caught using Windows on a Mac the men in black turtlenecks will visit your house and they are not forgiving. If you're caught using Vista they'll take your Mac away :eek: Remember Mac users, His Jobsness in the iCloud is always watching ;)

dick.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    muchly wrote: »
    dick.

I caught someone using Windows XP on a Macbook Pro the other day so that's why I posted that :o