Old-school toys you remember

Comments

• Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those semi-transparent plastic squares, tinted in different colours, and with slits in the side, for you to slot them into each other to make a construction (completely forgotten the name of them)

I want to know the name of those now, it will bug me until I recall the name.

Clackers.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    Was that the thing that looked like binoculars? I remember playing something like that!
    Yeah. There were 3 ones. Sky Attack, Thundering Turbo,Planet Zeon. I had Sky Attack. Looks very dated now, back then it was awesome.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two other things of which I was a proud owner (and gosh, doesn't seeing them again give me chills!):

Super Mario Alarm Clock

Biker Mice from Mars Alarm Clock

Not toys, but I was also obsessed with a series of children's books called "What, Why, When, Where?" that came in a box set. I'd pay good money for those if I could ever track 'em down!
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speak and spell
    Mr Frosty
    Weebles
    Strawberry shortcake dolls
    Tiny tears.
    Those little plastic prams with the red hood and yellow body
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love my Tressy doll. Her hair "grew"

I recall buying my older son Bigtrak, that was quite cool for those days, I think. Anyway it kept us all amused lol.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot to include a firm favourite in my list: Conkers.

Brutal but so fun.
  • MarkiebMarkieb Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoese liitle thing which had asamllplastic anima ona suction padd fixed to a spring on a plastc base You had to pressth it down and wait for it to pop up.

Sometin#me i wouldforget abouyt it and it made me jump lol
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Etch-A-Sketch
    Maximus
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Crossfire was great apart from the blisters.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »
    Etch-A-Sketch
    Maximus

That's one of most frustrating toys I tried. Same with a Rubik Cube, which drove me so mad that I swore not to try it again. I wanted to kill a relative for giving me a mini Rubik Cube on a key ring some months later. Of course, I ended up trying the mini Rubik Cube. Hello, screwdriver!
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else in the 70s spend a lot of time staring into their Kaleidoscope?

Anyone remember Slime, in the little plastic container? You had the green variety-and also there was pink with brown worms in!
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else in the 70s spend a lot of time staring into their Kaleidoscope?

Anyone remember Slime, in the little plastic container? You had the green variety-and also there was pink with brown worms in!

I did. I loved it, although only for about five minutes at a time.

My daughter had these slimey eyeballs you could throw at the wall and they would stick and then roll down. They got covered in fluff and cat hair pretty quickly mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember the little pots of bubble mixture you could get in the 70s? They had that stalk set into the inside of the cap. On the end of the stalk was a small hoop. The mixture was so taut, if you dipped the hoop in it, a sheet of the mixture would lie stiff across the inside of the hoop. Blow on it, and, hey presto, it made big bubbles! I had hours of fun with that, but don't think I've seen it since the 1970s.

I used to love the rainbow-coloured sheen you could see on the outside of the bubbles. It was similar to that which you get on pools of oil. Such liquids were obviously used to make the similar patterns on the outside of those little coloured rubber bouncy-balls you used to get in the 70s. I loved how they looked-and was fascinated by how high or far they bounced!
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine are really old - Mousey Mousey was one I remember.

And Raving Bonkers - that was at a holiday let when I was a young teenager, no telly and in the middle of nowhere. I played a lot of it with my brother, seriously stupid game, but fun.

Mousey Mousey! My sister's best friend had that. I can't remember what it was but I remember the name of it.

I remember skates that had to be strapped on to your shoes.
    My daughter heard the song "Brand New Key" by Melanie the other day and was asking me what she meant by "..you've got a brand new key" and what that had to do with roller skates :D
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Stretch Armstrong
    Evel Knievel
    Action Man
    Vertibird
    Bigtrak
    Starbird Avenger
    Micronauts
    Star Wars
    Lego Space
    3D Tomytronic

If you had any of these like me as a kid, you were cool.

We are clearly of the same era :D

All of the above apart from the last one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter had these slimey eyeballs you could throw at the wall and they would stick and then roll down. They got covered in fluff and cat hair pretty quickly mind.

I had one of those eyeballs and I recall it just as rough feeling with carpet fluff and hairs! :D
    Remember the little pots of bubble mixture you could get in the 70s? They had that stalk set into the inside of the cap. On the end of the stalk was a small hoop. The mixture was so taut, if you dipped the hoop in it, a sheet of the mixture would lie stiff across the inside of the hoop. Blow on it, and, hey presto, it made big bubbles! I had hours of fun with that, but don't think I've seen it since the 1970s.

I used to love the rainbow-coloured sheen you could see on the outside of the bubbles. It was similar to that which you get on pools of oil. Such liquids were obviously used to make the similar patterns on the outside of those little coloured rubber bouncy-balls you used to get in the 70s. I loved how they looked-and was fascinated by how high or far they bounced!

These are still readily available as far as I know! I remember the ones that had a little maze (under plastic) set into the upper side of the lid with a little silver ball to roll around it. As though the bubbles weren't enough!

Anyone remember Silly Putty? My mother used to hate it and refuse us it because it invariably got trampled into the carpets.

How about Glow-worms?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to describe a toy I recall from the 1970s, which I cannot remember the name of. They were small items which had some sort of disc on the base, with adhesive rubber on the bottom. Using this rubber, you stuck them to some horizontal surface, then pushed down a domed plastic cap with a spring underneath, which locked into place, until the tension of the spring pushed the cap past a certain point, at which point the whole thing sprang into the air. Didn't you used to get some sort of rubber creature's head on top of them?

Does this ring a bell?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, also, can anyone recall the name of a 90s toy which was like a 30 inch tall little stick man with fluffy, brightly coloured hair? It held a guitar (well mine did) and when you shook the guy he'd make strange noises.

ETA: Never mind, it was a Jibba Jabba and this was the one I had!

http://www.fvstore.com/i/2/Ertl-Jibba-Jabba-Rocker-Blue-Hair-Ertl-80-s-vintage-toy-p10853.jpg
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to describe a toy I recall from the 1970s, which I cannot remember the name of. They were small items which had some sort of disc on the base, with adhesive rubber on the bottom. Using this rubber, you stuck them to some horizontal surface, then pushed down a domed plastic cap with a spring underneath, which locked into place, until the tension of the spring pushed the cap past a certain point, at which point the whole thing sprang into the air. Didn't you used to get some sort of rubber creature's head on top of them?

Does this ring a bell?

Yes, I remember them well!

I think we called them 'Poppers'!
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does this ring a bell?

Do you mean a bit like this?
    removed
    I think I know what you are trying to describe.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    What was that toy called that used to (and probably still does if it's still around) project images onto the wall?

There was a strip of about 5 images and you'd pull it through the toy to tell a story.