Options

What was more gritty back in the 80's Eastenders or Brookside?

Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was Eastenders made to try to compete with Brookside at being contempery?... I know Corrie was boring until 97..

Comments

• Options
    immusicimmusic Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brookie I would say. It was quite hardcore for a soap!
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,273
    Forum Member
    They use to swear all the time in Brookside. :D
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Was Eastenders made to try to compete with Brookside at being contempery?... I know Corrie was boring until 97..

BIB - In your opinion. I enjoyed Corrie in the 'olden days'..
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brookside I would say. However Eastenders wasn't far behind

Loved Brookside.
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can keep your grittiness - I'll take Corrie, with its wit, humour and brilliant character writing any day of the week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can keep your grittiness - I'll take Corrie, with its wit, humour and brilliant character writing any day of the week.

It didn't capture real life... It was quite twee until Brian Park came along
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It didn't capture real life... It was quite twee until Brian Park came along

For about a year before 1997 maybe... certainly not in the mid-80s!
  • Options
    Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brookie was gritty northern, and EE was gritty southern they were both pretty good in the 80's
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Brookside definitely. The most realistic of all soaps too (until it got ridiculous towards the end).
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brookside up until 1995 was the grittier soap
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God I miss Brookside from the old days. It really did reflect real life, it was proper kitchen sink drama.

I grew up on an almost identical new housing estate, built by the same developer that built Brookside Close and have always felt a huge affinity to the show, especially when my mum used to call our neighbours by the names of characters from Brookie

'oooh look Ron Dixons taking that bloody dog out for a walk AGAIN' haha.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brookside made me want to live in Liverpool :blush::D

I've since visited it loads and loved it
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    God I miss Brookside from the old days. It really did reflect real life, it was proper kitchen sink drama.

I grew up on an almost identical new housing estate, built by the same developer that built Brookside Close and have always felt a huge affinity to the show, especially when my mum used to call our neighbours by the names of characters from Brookie

'oooh look Ron Dixons taking that bloody dog out for a walk AGAIN' haha.

I'd love to move into one of the Brookie houses, No.8 was on Zoopla last year & it looked really nice on the inside!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show was obsessed with Heroin....it featured through out it's history
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brookside. Shows you what happens though when sensationalism takes over. EE beware.
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Brookside
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show was obsessed with Heroin....it featured through out it's history

To be fair, heroin was a massive issue in the working class regions of most northern towns and cities throughout the 80s and 90s. I can remember being told to be careful if I saw any 'smack heads' when I went out to play, they'd nick your bike as soon as look at you! And I grew up on a pretty nice estate!!!!
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Brookside up until 1995 was the grittier soap

Agreed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had a much smaller cast too
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member

I think the best thing about Brookside was it was more easy to identify with as as true to life as it could be - but at times with the humour of Corrie at its best.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But with a higher turnover especially towards the end
  • Options
    Steve SoapboxSteve Soapbox Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    Brookside was always cast as 'the thinking man's soap'.

Corrie was hilarious in the early 90's - the best TV sitcom ever!

EastEnders was fantastic under Julia Smith when the show first launched, but completely lost its way after she left. It found itself again in the early 90's - about 93 to 97 - when the Jacksons and David Wicks introduced a whole new foundation for the Square. Since then its wobbled along pretending to be great but really being a shadow of its former self.

I really feel sorry for people who missed out on the glory days of soap. The danger is they will be the TV producers of the future and will base their quality expectations on shows like Hollyoaks. God help us!
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brookside softened as the decade went on, EE persisted, I do remember Barry Grant saying the word 'Boll*cks' in episode 1!
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking as someone who has actually been around longer than most here :D I would say Corrie was at it's best up until the 80s
  • Options
    emmerdaleloveremmerdalelover Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both were very Left Wing/anti-Thatcher. But then it was the 1980s and there were two very clear camps. I often felt EastEnders was a bit OTT in that respect. Things like Mary living in a damp bedsit, whilst in reality many people were moaning about lone parents getting nice flats and houses was odd. I never came across anyone in Mary's situation. And the fact that the Square was so dilapidated when gentrification was in full swing in the East End was also strange. Brookside did attempt to balance things a bit with nice yuppie Heather and posh Paul and Annabelle who were very human and could be very likeable. But both serials were compelling dramas back then.