Options

Are 4X4 drivers having the last laugh again?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    For 5 days of the year agreed.

All ours are driven every day. 2 of them you'd just never notice until they pass you, in the snow.
  • Options
    the spiz 2the spiz 2 Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a last laugh at a Range Rover driver who was stuck on a slight incline as I went round them in my Citroen C4 barely spinning the wheels in the snow!!!
  • Options
    dsnikdsnik Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    A 4x4 doesn't stop you getting stuck in the traffic caused by stuck 4x2 drivers
    but I do miss my Cherokee
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    True, but a 4X4 (more so a large one, Range Rover, Jeep Grand Cherokee) with higher ground clearence and winter tyres is surely better than a rear wheel drive high performance coupe.
    Yes, but most people don't drive silly sports cars.

Last winter the only two people I knew who had problems was my cousin who lives in London most of the time and drives a silly reared wheel drive sports car. The other was my auntie (who lives up a remote road in a hilly bit of the country-side) has a 4x4 that wouldn't start because it's a diesel that didn't like the cold!

My boring Ford Focus was just fine, and I didn't quite a lot of driving in the snow.

The fact is that most sensible cars, sensibly driven can do alright in the snow so long as you aren't going anywhere too off of the beaten track. Have a shovel and some grit in the car and hope other drivers, and if you want to splash out, getting snow tyres is much cheaper than a whole new car.

The height of a 4x4 helps that particular driver, but only until everyone else does the same. Unfortunately, a lot of people get high, chunky cars because it makes them feel safer, and a lot of those people do so because they are nervous drivers. Exactly the sort of person who shouldn't be allowed in a mini-tank.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsnik wrote: »
    A 4x4 doesn't stop you getting stuck in the traffic caused by stuck 4x2 drivers
    but I do miss my Cherokee

I was considering a Cherokee, although will have to be next year now. Are they good as all year round vehicles? And more so of course in the snow?
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I was considering a Cherokee, although will have to be next year now. Are they good as all year round vehicles? And more so of course in the snow?

Built like a tank, drives like a tractor, rough as rats. Piece of yank crap I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say that but it's more than 5 days isn't it? We've had let me see, two weeks of snowy, icy conditions where I am. And winter proper has not begun, we've got the whole of January, February, March and maybe even April and May!

Not where I live, which is also an area of the country where there's one of the highest concentrations of these shool run vehicles.
  • Options
    dsnikdsnik Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member

Loved driving it all year round
    but couldn't recommend it on reliability grounds
    Drive shaft/ transfer box problems at 80K miles
    The only time I put it in 4x4 was on grass or gravel car-parks and the Jeep dealer said that I shouldn't have used 4x4 (as the Cherokee had no centre diff)
  • Options
    BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Yes, but most people don't drive silly sports cars.

Last winter the only two people I knew who had problems was my cousin who lives in London most of the time and drives a silly reared wheel drive sports car. The other was my auntie (who lives up a remote road in a hilly bit of the country-side) has a 4x4 that wouldn't start because it's a diesel that didn't like the cold!

My boring Ford Focus was just fine, and I didn't quite a lot of driving in the snow.

The fact is that most sensible cars, sensibly driven can do alright in the snow so long as you aren't going anywhere too off of the beaten track. Have a shovel and some grit in the car and hope other drivers, and if you want to splash out, getting snow tyres is much cheaper than a whole new car.

The height of a 4x4 helps that particular driver, but only until everyone else does the same. Unfortunately, a lot of people get high, chunky cars because it makes them feel safer, and a lot of those people do so because they are nervous drivers. Exactly the sort of person who shouldn't be allowed in a mini-tank.

We had a Focus last year and it was fine apart from the last mile or so and we had 4 months of snow and ice up a track road so it became tedious walking with shopping etc that distance. We have a small 4x4 now which does the business, tried and tested a good few times already this year. But the Focus if we didn't have that was good.