Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    No offence to anyone in the thread but it did become a bit of an echo chamber for the pro-murder conviction folk. If you were arguing for anything except a murder conviction, your motives in doing so were immediately questioned. Maybe if the discussion had been more balanced, there wouldn't be such surprise and disappointment now...

Leave me out of your judgement please.
  • porky42porky42 Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phase4 wrote: »
    That is OP's claim. You cannot say what actually happened as you weren't there. You are entitled to believe OP and others are entitled to disbelieve him.

It does seem that the majority think that in the event of someone actually (or imagined) breaking into their property the priority would be to ensure that others in the house were actually safe - and not assumed to be safe.

You don't agree, and that's a valid position, albeit a minority one.

The point is that IT IS REASONABLY POSSIBLE.

This has been gone over and over.
  • Siobhan_MooreSiobhan_Moore Posts: 6,365
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Looks like it. I thought there had to be a direct threat on his life to justify the shooting. We had all these experts saying that for months. I'm not sure why she threw out the murder charge.
    She dismissed the witnesses but has given credence to OPs own testimony. :confused: none of this is making much sense to me.

completely baffling as she actually said he was a poor witness! i don't understand this at all. her logic seems to be "well, he said it and he was there so it must be right"
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    No offence to anyone in the thread but it did become a bit of an echo chamber for the pro-murder conviction folk. If you were arguing for anything except a murder conviction, your motives in doing so were immediately questioned. Maybe if the discussion had been more balanced, there wouldn't be such surprise and disappointment now...

Indeed. I suspect many people on the thread literally talked each other into believing it was premeditated murder. 'Echo chamber' is the perfect description.
  • plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    quesera wrote: »
    I think we can be almost 100% certain that, whatever happens, he will never touch a weapon again

Or they'll be no witnesses...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    quesera wrote: »
    I think we can be almost 100% certain that, whatever happens, he will never touch a weapon again

Completely disagree.

He'll think himself more invincible than ever. It'll only be a matter of time before he's carrying again IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I don't believe that M'lady is corrupt and bribed but I do think that she has played it safe and ignored a lot of facts without explaining why she has ignored those facts.

She has accepted that OP lied and was a terrible witness; nevertheless she builds her whole argument on the premise that his cooked up story is true. Plus she misinterpreted his reaction of remorse after the murder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did she mention that bullets demonstrating a change in aiming position, as shown by the door ? That should show a pause for (thought) ?
  • Siobhan_MooreSiobhan_Moore Posts: 6,365
    Forum Member
    This is my last post on here, but not my last word on this subject.
    I'm just so sorry. No words.

It's been really great 'meeting' all of you... much love and good luck for the future...
    (I may need it most, living here in SA, as it seems shooting multiple times through a door at an unseen target, is OK, as long as you are scared and in fear)
    xxx
    bgk.

:(

catch you on twitter though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dolus is gone, though, isn't it? Both directus and eventualis. So there is no murder conviction possible.

Yes. He had no intention to kill his girlfriend on Valentines Day.
  • Eliza_MacleanEliza_Maclean Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite disappointing that before the announcement people on here were saying that m'lady's verdict would be respected, etc. etc. and now people are saying she's been blackmailed or she's corrupt.

Really disappointing. She's a judge with a vast amount of experience and integrity.

But Kap, you know yourself that maybe it is not the same people saying it. I said I would listen to her verdict & reasoning (didn't think she'd dump all witnesses' evidence in one go, e.g. plus gastric emptying), and right now I'm listening and not persuaded and quite disappointed. Am looking forward to legal analysis and now at least know I won't have to follow the Derwani trial (because of the weird reasoning at work here).
  • Caro07Caro07 Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Looks like it. I thought there had to be a direct threat on his life to justify the shooting. We had all these experts saying that for months. I'm not sure why she threw out the murder charge.
    She dismissed the witnesses but has given credence to OPs own testimony. :confused: none of this is making much sense to me.

Yeah, she seems to have taken his version at face value, as she has for evidence that supports his version.

E.g. She said that the fact that he appeared to be very upset shortly after the killing means that he couldn't have possibly intended to kill her. But is extremely likely that if he had killed her in anger, he would also have been distraught shortly afterwards when his anger was replaced by other emotions.

An objective view would be that being distraught was not proof either way and should have been discounted, but she only seemed to do that to DT evidence.

There were some other similar pieces too.
  • smackasmacka Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    porky42 wrote: »

Yes, it has. Pistorius's story was always reasonably possible. Some people just preferred to think otherwise but once you accept the reasonable plausibility then the charges of premeditated murder became much less persuasive.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M'Lady should never be able to sit on a case again.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. I suspect many people on the thread literally talked each other into believing it was premeditated murder. 'Echo chamber' is the perfect description.

I was in for Dolus Eventualis
    I'm with Masipa that the evidence for Pre-med was more circumstantial. What isn't circumstantial is that OP got a gun and fired it into an enclosed space thinking someone was behind the door. There is only one inevitibility to shooting a firearm into an enclosed space. The fact Masipa has ruled this out boggles my mind completely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this had been any ordinary Joe with an average defence team, I don't think he would have had such lenient treatment.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    porky42 wrote: »

To death, mate, gone over and over to death!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I wonder what the Judge is having for lunch.

Must be very odd to sit down for lunch, having a chat etc while there is a man a matter of yards away with his life/future in the balance.
  • plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member

They never got to me Kap .... I did it all myself.

Will you be cheering him on at the next Olympics?
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Phase4 wrote: »
    That is OP's claim. You cannot say what actually happened as you weren't there. You are entitled to believe OP and others are entitled to disbelieve him.

It does seem that the majority think that in the event of someone actually (or imagined) breaking into their property the priority would be to ensure that others in the house were actually safe - and not assumed to be safe.

You don't agree, and that's a valid position, albeit a minority one.

But would you automatically assume that anyone who didn't was guilty beyond reasonable doubt?
    Plenty on here have said they wouldn't
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Kap, you know yourself that maybe it is not the same people saying it. I said I would listen to her verdict & reasoning (didn't think she'd dump all witnesses' evidence in one go, e.g. plus gastric emptying), and right now I'm listening and not persuaded and quite disappointed. Am looking forward to legal analysis and now at least know I won't have to follow the Derwani trial (because of the weird reasoning at work here).

A lot of so called "supporters" took a lot of sh1t. I'm sure most of them were not "mindless OP lovers" or any of the other derogatory terms slung around.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we really surprised?
  • bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    CH negligence is still a possibility, no minimum sentence required...but a custodial sentence is required for CH . eNCA is stating.
This discussion has been closed.