Options

Farage in Edinburgh Tonight

Comments

• Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,587
    Forum Member
    That used to be the case for the SNP. Non entities have a habit of becoming something else.

How far back in history are you dredging to try and make your point? Farage is here tonight, the leader of a party who cannot save a single deposit in Scottish national elections Guy is looking to get his name in the papers and his face on the telly
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »
    Perhaps he will explain why some Unions are fine and others are awful ;-)

Maybe Alex Salmond could help you out with that question ?
    Or even better one of the many posters on this forum who are against the British Union but are strangely in favour of a European Union ?

I must say I do find it quite perplexing and bordering on hypocrisy.
    It would be possible to put most of their pro EU arguments against most of their anti United Kingdom arguments, and then they could have a whole debate with themselves. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Perhaps Scotland's attitude towards the EU will be in sharp contrast to the "surly child dragging it's feet" style that the UK often takes Scotland needs to be an active and positive member of the EU to help maintain and manage our fishing industry for starters
    Let Farage et al bang on about immigrants and straight bananas If that is what England wants then get on with it
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richclever wrote: »
    That article was from the 9th of May. Don't know if the far right thugs have promised this again (did it actually happen at the time?) but maybe it's an opportunity for Farage to prove his dislike for them by telling them to sod off!

Ooops. I missed that - thanks. I've just done a quick search and I can't see anything more recent.
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    All I can see is this adding support to the Yes campaign. Farage will be aiming his message at voters in England and accordingly I very much doubt it will accord with what even Scottish No voters want.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are the Scots so left wing? Even in the north they are voting UKIP, it's just the Tories they don't like.

It's been downhill for the Conservatives since the late 1950's in Scotland, way before Thatcher. Maybe they need independence so they will realise that a left wing utopia is not so easy when your on your own and have to provide all the money to pay for it yourself.

As Michael Portillo pointed out, many left wing EU governments have had to implement austerity and right wing policy's and beg the EU to bail them out. Without the bank of England behind them, Scotland will be on their own until they can re-join the EU and adopt the Euro. The UK is in the EU, not England, Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales.

That is very true. I hear many right wing views from people but mention that they should vote Tory and watch their reaction!
  • Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Ooops. I missed that - thanks. I've just done a quick search and I can't see anything more recent.

No worries, it's easy to miss the date on articles sometimes. As I said, he is up there today but no mention of the repellent BF.
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    How far back in history are you dredging to try and make your point? Farage is here tonight, the leader of a party who cannot save a single deposit in Scottish national elections Guy is looking to get his name in the papers and his face on the telly

Does it matter. The point remains, an irrelevance today may be of major importance tomorrow. UKIP have a level of electoral support in Scotland and the leader of those supporters have a right to hear his comments. You may disagree but that is the nature of politics and democracy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps Scotland's attitude towards the EU will be in sharp contrast to the "surly child dragging it's feet" style that the UK often takes Scotland needs to be an active and positive member of the EU to help maintain and manage our fishing industry for starters
    Let Farage et al bang on about immigrants and straight bananas If that is what England wants then get on with it

You forget that it was the EU and its planning that effectively destroyed the Scottish fishing fleet in the first place and turned UK fisheries into EU waters for all to share, not equally.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps Scotland's attitude towards the EU will be in sharp contrast to the "surly child dragging it's feet" style that the UK often takes Scotland t

True enough. It will be more like a "poor worker standing outside the door begging for scraps from his master's table" style.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member

So Thatcher should not be used in any argument?
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Farage wants the Queen involved.
    A strange comment for such a traditionalist.
    I bet Prince Charles is pro independence somehow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Maybe he is just pointing out that independence within the EU is no independence at all.

When people find out the EU will force Scotland to provide free tuition to English and Welsh kids attending Scottish universities it will be quite amusing.

What will be even more amusing is that before Scotland join the EU, they scrap free Uni for all, just to prevent rUK from getting free education.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does it matter. The point remains, an irrelevance today may be of major importance tomorrow. UKIP have a level of electoral support in Scotland and the leader of those supporters have a right to hear his comments. You may disagree but that is the nature of politics and democracy.

Just as well there's still a few phone boxes left
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »
    So Thatcher should not be used in any argument?

Thatcher ruined the lives of many of those who will vote next Thursday so she should be brought up As should the fact that UKIP have LOST EVERY DEPOSIT in Scottish national elections
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    Ukip's point of view on independence is refreshing common sense.
  • Options
    AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Have Yes Scotland disassociated themselves with the independence radicals?

The NHS really would be in trouble then, the number of lobotomies that would require.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as well there's still a few phone boxes left

And of course you are not compelled to attend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ukip's point of view on independence is refreshing common sense.

The bold Nigel is telling us that we can either be ruled by London or Brussels Cheers Nigel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bold Nigel is telling us that we can either be ruled by London or Brussels Cheers Nigel

I know which I prefer.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every UKIP candidate who has stood in a Scottish election has lost their deposit

Other than their MEP, I presume?
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he was in Glasgow?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Other than their MEP, I presume?

A Scottish election NOT a European election As I said earlier UKIP have lost EVERY SINFLE DEPOSIT in Scottish national elections Not even a rump party
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do not want to be a positive member of the EU, in fact I do not want to be a member full stop. As for the fishing industry, it's the EU that has f*cked it over. The EU is a cancer.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    A Scottish election NOT a European election As I said earlier UKIP have lost EVERY SINFLE DEPOSIT in Scottish national elections Not even a rump party

UKIP didn't lose their deposit in the 2010 general election for Orkney and Shetland.
    Or did you mean Ukip have lost their deposit in every single Scottish election apart from European elections and general elections ?