Options

How many big companies say they will leave Scotland/cut jobs/put up prices if yes win

Comments

• Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 1997 they warned us that voting Yes for a Scottish parliament would cost us more...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/news/08/0822/scotbank.shtml

In 1997 they warned us that voting Yes for a Scottish Parliament would harm businesses...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/devolution/scotland/news/300897MAJ.shtml

In 1997 they warned us that devolution would impoverish Scotland. One prominent Tory likened a Yes vote to a Scottish Parliament to a 'jobs holocaust...'
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/same-old-tories-looking-back-3014315

In 1997 they warned us that Scotland with its own parliament would become a 'high-tax ghetto...'
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/same-old-tories-looking-back-3014315

In 1997 we were warned of the 'frightening financial consequences of devolution...'
    http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/4th-september-1997/10/scots-warned-on-devolution

In 1997 big business and the CBI spoke out against devolution...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/devolution/scotland/news/280897CBI.shtml

In 1997 they warned that devolution would harm the climate for business in Scotland...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/news/09/0907/devolution.shtml

In 1997 they warned that Devolution would lead to job losses...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/election-97-lang-in-row-over-scottish-job-fears-1269117.html

In 1997 they warned us that devolution would harm fragile rural communities and undermine agriculture...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/devolution/scotland/news/250897.shtml

In 1997 they warned us that a devolved Scotland would be weaker and suffer from less inward investment...
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/1997/apr/24/past.electionspast1

And yes, even in 1997, big business threatened to leave if democracy prevailed…
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/election-97-lang-in-row-over-scottish-job-fears-1269117.html

You really should credit other people's work if you're just going to copy and paste. The above comes from here.

Forgive me for adding the opening para from that story.
    Since you all think I’m a mouthy wee jobby who can’t keep my thoughts to myself I decided I might as well continue in the same vain. I hope all you lovely people will like and share this rant like you did my last
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Simply due to logistic costs - it is far easier/cheaper to distribute goods to areas of high population density than areas with sparse populations and poor communication and infrastructure access.

The Post Office is the ideal example - the costs of providing a daily delivery in Scotland far outweigh those in the rest of the Union. At the moment this extra cost is absorbed into the costs of the Company as a whole - when the Scottish part of the PO is nationalised and no longer part of the bigger company who is going to pay the extra cost - I suspect the customer.

I work in transport logistics and London is actually the most expensive city/region to transport goods due to congestion/higher wage costs etc.
    If Scotland is so expensive to distribute goods then Capitalism would have depopulated whole areas of the UK by now with everyone living in a handful of mega cities.

Fact is that it works both ways, most of the wood that kitchens are made out of comes from Scandinavia which means that Scots using your logic should pay considerably less for anything imported from that region due to being nearer than England.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in transport logistics and London is actually the most expensive city/region to transport goods due to congestion/higher wage costs etc.
    If Scotland is so expensive to distribute goods then Capitalism would have depopulated whole areas of the UK by now with everyone living in a handful of mega cities.

Fact is that it works both ways, most of the wood that kitchens are made out of comes from Scandinavia which means that Scots using your logic should pay considerably less for anything imported from that region due to being nearer than England.

Not just that but it's not as if those in the 'Highlands & Islands' get it easy at the moment from a courier point of view.

It costs more money to send things to remote parts of Scotland at the moment, right now, under British rule. Clearly the couriers/RM don't subsidise those routes - they charge more for them.

Making the whole point a bit moot..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Not just that but it's not as if those in the 'Highlands & Islands' get it easy at the moment from a courier point of view.

It costs more money to send things to remote parts of Scotland at the moment, right now, under British rule. Clearly the couriers/RM don't subsidise those routes - they charge more for them.

Making the whole point a bit moot..

The supposed point of this thread along with the other anti yes vote threads started by certain posters was to foster the notion that independence would mean Scots paying vastly inflated prices for everything along with massive job losses.
    Nobody has actually posted anything to back this up, least of all the OP who seems to be auditioning as a scriptwriter for the 'Daily Fail'

The US overcomes transport logistics costs over the vast distances between population centres in part by having much cheaper fuel prices than here.
    If an independent Scotland cut fuel duty there then that could tip the balance in favour of lower prices than England rather than higher.
    Unfortunately the rest of the UK is paying for London's massive infrastructure projects that pull investment away from the likes of Scotland and Northern England.
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The supposed point of this thread along with the other anti yes vote threads started by certain posters was to foster the notion that independence would mean Scots paying vastly inflated prices for everything along with massive job losses.
    Nobody has actually posted anything to back this up, least of all the OP who seems to be auditioning as a scriptwriter for the 'Daily Fail'

The US overcomes transport logistics costs over the vast distances between population centres in part by having much cheaper fuel prices than here.
    If an independent Scotland cut fuel duty there then that could tip the balance in favour of lower prices than England rather than higher.
    Unfortunately the rest of the UK is paying for London's massive infrastructure projects that pull investment away from the likes of Scotland and Northern England.

Here is a basic example that even the most ardent should be able to follow.

Lets say "Yes" wins next Thursday. That is the green light for setting up an independent Nation.

Some time around march / april 2016 there will be the very first general election to the newly formed independent Scotland.

Lets assume either a SNP, or perhaps a reworked Labour type party take control of the brand new nation.

They will have lots of things to deal with, but, as a mark they decide to either increase the minimum wage, or introduce a 'living wage'. Not and idea out of the question.

Min wage goes from £7 and hour to £11. How does that reflect on the cost of your pint of milk?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rick_Davis wrote: »
    Here is a basic example that even the most ardent should be able to follow.

Lets say "Yes" wins next Thursday. That is the green light for setting up an independent Nation.

Some time around march / april 2016 there will be the very first general election to the newly formed independent Scotland.

Lets assume either a SNP, or perhaps a reworked Labour type party take control of the brand new nation.

They will have lots of things to deal with, but, as a mark they decide to either increase the minimum wage, or introduce a 'living wage'. Not and idea out of the question.

Min wage goes from £7 and hour to £11. How does that reflect on the cost of your pint of milk?

Easy enough, do away with Capitalism and plough back the vast profits made by private companies into helping everyone have a fair bite of the cherry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easy enough, do away with Capitalism and plough back the vast profits made by private companies into helping everyone have a fair bite of the cherry.

So you nationalise every single company operating at that moment in time.

Where does investment come from?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you nationalise every single company operating at that moment in time.

Where does investment come from?

I never said Nationalise every single company - That's your spin not mine.

Good example is Scottish Water, still nationalised providing a good if not better service than the privatised English utilities and the average household water bill around half of that of England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said Nationalise every single company - That's your spin not mine.

Good example is Scottish Water, still nationalised providing a good if not better service than the privatised English utilities and the average household water bill around half of that of England.

And why is that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have done away with capitalism, explain what happens next
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why is that?

You tell me....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do assume while figuring out your " a fair wage for a fair days pay" mantra you have sat down and actually worked out your living costs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    put it this way. If I was to guarantee, that for the rest of your life you would earn just enough to get by, pay your bills and have just a little left over for a night out every other friday.

Would you take that, or a pay increase?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what you have missed is the fact that many Scots along with many other people of this island have had enough of services being privatised and then having to pay more to mainly subsidise foreign owners.
    Hence why it has got to the stage of part of this island wanting to break away from Neo Liberal doctrine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    put it this way. If I was to guarantee, that for the rest of your life you would earn just enough to get by, pay your bills and have just a little left over for a night out every other friday.

Would you take that, or a pay increase?

Sad to say your mantra is greed whilst mine is to be happy with what I have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what you have missed is the fact that many Scots along with many other people of this island have had enough of services being privatised and then having to pay more to mainly subsidise foreign owners.
    Hence why it has got to the stage of part of this island wanting to break away from Neo Liberal doctrine.

You are aware that in 4 years of SNP rule the SNP have actually privatised more of the Scottish NHS that they control than any of the nasty tories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are aware that in 4 years of SNP rule the SNP have actually privatised more of the Scottish NHS that they control than any of the nasty tories.

Any credible links for that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to say your mantra is greed whilst mine is to be happy with what I have.

which is great, but its at the expense of others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which is great, but its at the expense of others.

Really? Explain further....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Explain further....

yesterday you were arguing that there would be no change in supermarket pricing
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    You have done away with capitalism, explain what happens next

Capitalism isnt done away with but rather transcended.I think its Jeremy Rifkin whos recently written a good book on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you aware that there is already price differentials on products between areas?
  • Options
    DontgimmeevalsDontgimmeevals Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Quite correct.

There'll be plenty of business there for others if these companies do go off down south, which they blatantly wont.

So what's in it for them? Why are they 'scaremongering' the Scottish people? What is their motive, in your opinion?
  • Options
    longpiggylongpiggy Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Net Nut wrote: »
    How many big companies say they will leave Scotland/cut jobs/put up prices if yes win for the SNP?

What are next weeks lottery numbers - well seeing as you know that the VAT and corporation tax is going UP after independence (when all indications are it is going down - don't want to put a dampener on your cheer).

So these escaping businesses from corporation tax and VAT...discuss...that stays the same.

And if there is less VAT and corporation tax?????.... Mmmmmm... yeah. Discuss... Cause there still running, ain't they?
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

if you think that population density relies on the cost of transportation then you have been working in your industry too long.

The plain fact is that for companies that have a UK wide pricing system Scotland is more expensive to deliver to than the rest of the UK - London is as well but they are not suggesting withdrawal from the UK

There are very few import and distribution centres in Scotland that act for the whole market, most are in England. Of course an Independent Scotland could replicate these within Scotland (and probably would have to depending on the currency used) but that also has a cost.