So, some people compete for 40 spaces whilst others compete for 1?

Vauxhall NovaVauxhall Nova Posts: 4,094
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Who decides the order they audition then? All seems a bit ridiculous

Comments

• scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    And unfair. Less of a chance of getting picked but guess thats the wsy it is if the other judges have their ten.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that today, very unfair. I can't think of another way to do it though, if you let the judges see all of the acts and then choose their 10, the looks will influence their decisions. Maybe a fairer way would have been to have five groups of auditionees and each coach had to pick two from each group.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought both the final two men should have gone through.

Also the girl Harriet :cool:
  • wildangelwildangel Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    It's called Life. Someone's always gonna be the last to be picked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wildangel wrote: »
    It's called Life. Someone's always gonna be the last to be picked.

Er, it's the exact opposite of 'life' - it's a contrived reality tv show format. Some people are just saying they think the format could be done better (I agree).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    lumiere wrote: »
    Er, it's the exact opposite of 'life' - it's a contrived reality tv show format. Some people are just saying they think the format could be done better (I agree).

Because everyone on here can do a better job then a team of experienced producers....:rolleyes:
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Because everyone on here can do a better job then a team of experienced producers....:rolleyes:

Yes because unfortunately the experienced producers are experienced in creating TV titillation and not in creating the fairest or best format. IMO the whole format is a mess. It's all about the voice except they're either scared by a certain voice: rock, opera, country, or that they'll get another girl or boy or generally what they look like. The format has made it all far too generic and the competition element of it has made them scared to leave their comfort zone and worried about the contestants looks and even the type of mentors / judges on the show aren't really dissimilar enough to allow for a wide raging choice of artists. That is if they are not going to do what the show states and what they keep saying they will do, listen just to the voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Yes, very odd. I guess there were also people who went down to the audition but were told that places were filled and that they'd have to go home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    I thought both the final two men should have gone through.

Also the girl Harriet :cool:

Seconded. Although the last guy went through.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was made clear on numerous occasions how the auditions would work, yet some people on here are acting as though they were never even told that the judges could only pick 10 acts.

Also, the idea that those who went at the start had some massive advantage is really not true, because early on the judges are having to be cautious as to who they pick because they know they can only pick ten and thus can't afford to pick everyone they liked (hence why we have seen at least a couple of acts every week whose not progressing through was somewhat contentious)

The judges having to make difficult choices is all part of the shows concept, and the people invited to audition were all made fully aware of what they were letting themselves in for.

I don't think there is anything especially unfair about it, tbh.
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    It was made clear on numerous occasions how the auditions would work, yet some people on here are acting as though they were never even told that the judges could only pick 10 acts.

Also, the idea that those who went at the start had some massive advantage is really not true, because early on the judges are having to be cautious as to who they pick because they know they can only pick ten and thus can't afford to pick everyone they liked (hence why we have seen at least a couple of acts every week whose not progressing through was somewhat contentious)

The judges having to make difficult choices is all part of the shows concept, and the people invited to audition were all made fully aware of what they were letting themselves in for.

I have no problem with it either, especially compared to boot Camp on x factor last year when they culled loads before they even sang at boot camp after thinking they'd made it. :confused:

I find some of the choices weird, especially tonight where the coaches seemed to be hearing something different to me, but that's always going to happen.
    Forum Member

You've obviously not read the script. The show itself made it look like they had a dreadful dilemma at the end and were regretting they only had one choice left so surely it's reasonable for us to say the format had a problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've obviously not read the script. The show itself made it look like they had a dreadful dilemma at the end and were regretting they only had one choice left so surely it's reasonable for us to say the format had a problem.

The show itself has made a point of highlighting the difficulties the judges face in making their choices, thats all part of the shows format though, it's intended to be tough for the judges to make those decisions. Far from being a problem it's a fundamental part of the shows concept.

Like I said, if people really had a valid concern about this it should have come out in week 1, at which point it was made very clear they could only pick ten people.
    Forum Member
    The show itself has made a point of highlighting the difficulties the judges face in making their choices, thats all part of the shows format though, it's intended to be tough for the judges to make those decisions. Far from being a problem it's a fundamental part of the shows concept.

Like I said, if people really had a valid concern about this it should have come out in week 1, at which point it was made very clear they could only pick ten people.

I know, but the concern is were they more button pressing happy at the beginning and got more and more discerning as the auditions went on until the end when they appeared to be highly and overly critical? This along with who decides and with what criteria the order of the acts because it seemed the acts had less of a chance towards the end when say eg only will.i.am had room available?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, but the concern is were they more button pressing happy at the beginning

i don't think it's fair to assume they were, though. In the early weeks there were complaints they were not putting enough people through, Had they put through all the ones people said they should by this week none of them would have had any spaces left at all for any of the people we saw today. Because the show is edited it' impossible to make definitive calls on this either way.
  • Purple-KiwisPurple-Kiwis Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem unfair, like it's first come first serve. Did they just tell anyone who was to audition after the guy who sang A- Team to just go home?
    Forum Member
    i don't think it's fair to assume they were, though. In the early weeks there were complaints they were not putting enough people through, Had they put through all the ones people said they should by this week none of them would have had any spaces left at all for any of the people we saw today. Because the show is edited it' impossible to make definitive calls on this either way.
    It does seem unfair, like it's first come first serve. Did they just tell anyone who was to audition after the guy who sang A- Team to just go home?

On another thread a poster who is a friend of an auditionee said that there were about 120 left at the end and though they were treated respectfully they weren't able to audition.

It does have an unfair feel about it but I suppose it would be impossible to be totally fair in any kind of TV related competitive format. I do think the judges were too susceptible to what each other was doing though and in the end felt will was being rushed to pick someone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »
    I have no problem with it either, especially compared to boot Camp on x factor last year when they culled loads before they even sang at boot camp after thinking they'd made it. :confused:

I find some of the choices weird, especially tonight where the coaches seemed to be hearing something different to me, but that's always going to happen.

Someone said on another thread that around 120 didnt even get a chance to sing at all for the voice

So that was and even worse culling than the XF because at least the XF lot got to sing.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    As said above its called life, but they all knew how it was going to work, and every one of those invited audtionees knew they may not have a go but were invited back if they wished to attend for the next series, If there was a genuine flaw or complaint it would have been mentioned right from the get go.

And just so you know they sang infront of producers before they got to the judges so those 120 did sing, if they were were not good enough they were not put through, not sent to the judges and live crowd to be laughed at i.e X Factor/BGT.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    It didn't work out to be very fair.
    There were a couple tonight, the girl with the long skirt and second to last who sang Kiss From A Rose.who should have got through had they been seen sooner.
    I particularly didn't like the judges telling each other to turn around.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    I realised with the format that this would happen, and there has to be a cut-off point with this way of going about it, if you want to keep the blind auditions, which are meant to be the premise of the show.

However, despite me knowing this, it did spoil my enjoyment of this last audition, knowing that we would end up with less and less coaches able to turn round despite the quality of the acts before (or rather behind!) them. Comparing some who couldn't get through at this stage because of the lack of spaces, with some who got through earlier was quite a bitter pill.
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    I hated it when Danny said about Heather, when the others were encouraging him to press.

........"I've got one like her already"

He really is the weak spot of this show. Too indecisive by half.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »
    So how would you propose to do it then?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    As said above its called life,

And no-one has ever said that life is fair. You take luck of draw, and make the best of it.

And anyway, another way to look at it is that, with Will needing one more singer, those at the end of the draw had a greater chance of him turning around (as he would have had to pick one in order not to miss out). Meanwhile, for those who sing first, the judges knew that there were many more to follow, so they could easily pass on a few knowing that there were others to come.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't know what kind of engineering has gone on in the background in order to have a 'dramatic' climax, or what editing has taken place after the shows...or what motivated the selection process and actual order of singers. They want to produce talking points every week, don't they - they want people questioning the fairness of every moment, questioning the mindset of every judge. The last thing they want, IMO, is for the blind auditions to go out on a damp squib - "What, is that it?" People would be very suspicious of a neat little ending.