Options

County Cricket 2014

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Does anyone know when the county fixtures for the new saeson will be released please?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're generally at the end of November/beginning of December.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2014 puts to right that bowler run up knowing the stumps anomaly.
    There super overs for 20/20 and 5 points for a CC draw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fixtures to be released on Tuesday November 26th!
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Sports just did a report on Lancs being back in training for the 5 weeks up to Christmas.
    Gone are the days of having to get a job for the winter

And congrats to Darren on his team getting the City of Culture this morning

Hope that doesn't mean you'll have to move,,,,,,,:D
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fixtures due Tuesday 26/11/13.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Sky Sports just did a report on Lancs being back in training for the 5 weeks up to Christmas.
    Gone are the days of having to get a job for the winter

And congrats to Darren on his team getting the City of Culture this morning

Hope that doesn't mean you'll have to move,,,,,,,:D

I was part of the reason we won :D
  • Options
    the albionthe albion Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's disgusting that Warks are calling themselves Birmingham Bears in the T20 (sorry, T20 Blast). The club is serving the people of the whole county not just Birmingham.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the albion wrote: »
    I think it's disgusting that Warks are calling themselves Birmingham Bears in the T20 (sorry, T20 Blast). The club is serving the people of the whole county not just Birmingham.

Well as a long standing non-Birmingham member, Im as disgusted as you.

Obviously money is at the root of all this, but all the changes over the last few years (including the garish new pavilion development) have removed every ounce of the laid back familiar,warm friendly charm the ground and the set up once had. There is a cold corporate feel these days.

I cant help feeling there is more to come though. The name may seem irrelevant to some but it suggests a culture change which may alienate supporters outside Birmingham. The club actually said that those outside Birmingham will "still be welcome" on Friday nights- well thank you very much indeed :rolleyes: What next years down the line? T20 city teams (lets face it Warwickshire have effectively named themselves as much)? Merged counties? Both unpalatable to most current county supporters I would imagine.

Sad day for me and a slightly sinister one imo.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the albion wrote: »

Coventry Cowards? Dudley Dunces? Kitt's Green K...no, I won't go there. :p

But if anyone wanted Lancashire to be called Manchester somethings (Marvels? Mupetts??) there'd be riots on the streets. Well, in the tram station at least.

It's not on...counties are counties. End of.
  • Options
    Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As they must have been given permission to do this I fear it could be the start of city teams but I hope not.
    Thankfully the chief executive at Northants says he has no plans to change to the Northampton Numpties.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Hopefully it will backfire on Warwickshire and they will lose a lot of supporters from outside Birmingham.

Regarding the new structure, the Championship is not good for those who take time off work. Who is going to book a day off work for the final day on a Wednesday when the match may have finished?
    All one-day cricket at some counties will be T20 or floodlight. Those who liked 40/50 over Sunday afternoon matches are not being catered for.
    Oh well, they did extensive research so they must have it right!
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Can someone explain how they have decided which two teams you only play once in the new Twenty20 format? I assume its on a rotation so next year it will be a different two teams, and so on?

Some local derbies are now only going to happen once, and maybe not on your home ground, which could lose some clubs income in some years.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steelbock wrote: »
    Hopefully it will backfire on Warwickshire and they will lose a lot of supporters from outside Birmingham.

Regarding the new structure, the Championship is not good for those who take time off work. Who is going to book a day off work for the final day on a Wednesday when the match may have finished?
    All one-day cricket at some counties will be T20 or floodlight. Those who liked 40/50 over Sunday afternoon matches are not being catered for.
    Oh well, they did extensive research so they must have it right!

As an ex marketing person from a big multi-national company, I think that research was the most complicated study I've ever seen, especially the part where you had to give your preference to different formats on different days at different prices.

How the market research company ever processed the results and made conclusions based on statistically significant quotas, I'll never know.

And unlike offline surveys, you couldn't not answer as if you didn't, you couldn't proceed, so I ended up ticking something because I had to.

So, in conclusion, I doubt very much that they have got a research based new formula.

From what I've seen of the new fixtures, they could have made those changes without investing vast sums in a study.

They knew what the issues were and could have debated the best option as it was.

And overall, it looks better.

But having been through the fixtures, I still don't understand why they can't play all the matches in each round at the same time.

It starts off all right but then after a few rounds, you get a match in each division starting in Day 2 of the others' matches. Why? It get so confusing to keep tabs.

Still, I will give the new fixtures a chance.
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary Keedy has joined Notts as a coach and has registered as a player to cover in emergencies
    Lancs should never have let him go and kept him involved in the development of Kerrigan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    There is a great nostalgia magazine called " Back Spin" for those of us interested in the county game from the 50's and sixties,but,sadly it seemms impossible to get it from WH Smith. Any ideas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    There is a great nostalgia magazine called " Back Spin" for those of us interested in the county game from the 50's and sixties,but,sadly it seemms impossible to get it from WH Smith. Any ideas

Hi David

Try this

http://www.backpassmagazine.co.uk/news.html
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever since Twenty20 as born and had its first burp there has been a murmur about county structure and its being given a kind of form now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25702462

My own county Warwickshire sadly (for me) are jockeying for position at the forefront of change making themselves a city rather than a county for next year.

Not sure where all this will end but I reckon whatever it was that drove me into interest in Cricket in the 70's may be properly gone in the next 20 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wondered how long it would take for someone to blame county cricket for the failure of the England team in Australia. Step forward Lord Mclaurin. To suggest merging county teams is deeply disrespectful to the members and supporters of those county teams. He mentioned Northants and Warwickshire merging, also Glamorgan and Somerset or Somerset and Gloucestershire. I wonder who he supports?-none of those counties mentioned I would assume! Why not go the whole hog and merge Lancashire with Yorkshire or Middlesex with Surrey. Yes it is just ridiculous.

Leave county cricket alone ,it has had too many upheavals and revamps in the last 15 years or so- it isnt as if the England players play much county cricket anyway. Perhaps that is the reason for their failings-the lack of match practice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Near total removal of the test squad from the county game does not help. But the only cricket on terrestrial TV has been test highlights or IPL.

The county game has become doubly non inclusive. That is a real kiss of death. The England team becoming a corporate business entity does the county game very little favour.
    And by highlighting it now, it shows little respect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Valiantfox wrote: »
    I wondered how long it would take for someone to blame county cricket for the failure of the England team in Australia. Step forward Lord Mclaurin. To suggest merging county teams is deeply disrespectful to the members and supporters of those county teams. He mentioned Northants and Warwickshire merging, also Glamorgan and Somerset or Somerset and Gloucestershire. I wonder who he supports?-none of those counties mentioned I would assume! Why not go the whole hog and merge Lancashire with Yorkshire or Middlesex with Surrey. Yes it is just ridiculous.

Leave county cricket alone ,it has had too many upheavals and revamps in the last 15 years or so- it isnt as if the England players play much county cricket anyway. Perhaps that is the reason for their failings-the lack of match practice.

I agree. Why would reducing the counties to 12 improve the English game. In fact the more first class players around means there are more players to chose from. Don't forget that England have had a very successful team until very recently. The county game has a little bit been weakened by the reduction of top class overseas players, so I would certainly encourage more overseas players to the game. Peter Siddle will be playing for Notts this year and should be opening the bowling with Stuart Broad for the start of the season for Notts, which is a pretty good attack
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad to see that former Yorkshire and England player, Graham Stevenson has died at the age of 58.

One of the few number 11's to score a county century. Remember watching him a lot in the 70s and 80s

RIP Stevo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad to see that former Yorkshire and England player, Graham Stevenson has died at the age of 58.

One of the few number 11's to score a county century. Remember watching him a lot in the 70s and 80s

RIP Stevo.

Sad news. One of the few players who made all his International appearances away from home
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

RIP Stevo.

Sad news indeed.

Rip Graham.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

RIP Stevo.

A nice tribute on Cricinfo

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/712375.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe that result guarantees Stokes a central contract.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25864414

Looking at that, its not worth releasing a player to England.
    Durham got extremely lucky with 'unlucky Onions' but that 'new era' may well result in a financial/team roulette for many a county this year.