Radio stations that get out a long way on FM

I was searching through the FM radio on a little MP3 player and I notice BBC Leicester on 104.9 gets out a fair bit from Worcester all the way to the Humber Bridge, BBC Manchester on 95.1 can be heard as far as the Humber Bridge too. Is there any more stations that get out along way outside their transmission area?

Comments

• krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Leicester has a huge coverage.

Other stations that go unusually well outside their area are Signal 1, Rock FM and Radio City. I'm sure there are others around the country.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    Anyone know how far the 107.5 Tulip Radio signal goes?
  • sparrysparry Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    krob2 wrote: »
    BBC Leicester has a huge coverage.

As does Capital on 105.4, the former Leicester Sound frequency!
  • Black BoxBlack Box Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Penistone FM - receivable as far as Malton in North Yorkshire and even the Humber Bridge. Not bad at all for a low-power community radio station.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LBC does all the way down to Colchester on the A12.
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being on the apex of London/Kent gets me a weird hybrid of stations, none of which - since the closures of Time FM/South London Radio and TGR Sound - actually covers this area, which is too far south-east for the London stations and too far northwest for Kent's; however, it also means I can pick up all sorts of business on FM, including BBC Essex, BBC Southern Counties (as was - I'd assume the Surrey frequencies), Time Romford, KMFM (I'm presuming the West Kent version, whose patch includes Sevenoaks), Heart Kent and Heart Essex as well as most London stations - though oddly there's no sign of the Eagle or Southend Radio, which I'd assume have a more localised footprint (presumably also why I don't get community stations from, say, Medway).
    Indeed, Time Romford, the Hearts and KMFM come in clearer than some London stations (Choice is basically unlistenable on 96.9 even this far east of Brixton, LBC availability depends where I stand in the house, and Kiss and Classic FM have a nasty habit of clattering into one another thanks to their titchy 0.9 MHz gap)...
  • Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somerset Sound on 95.5 from Mendip can be picked up clearly in parts of Devon and can make it into Cornwall at times. BBC R Devon on 103.4 from North Hessary Tor can be heard in many parts of west Cornwall, and often makes it to Bath and Bristol areas. I can also hear BBC R Berkshire on 104.1 from Hannington on most days using my portable radio and telescopic rod aerial.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    Black Box wrote: »
    Penistone FM - receivable as far as Malton in North Yorkshire and even the Humber Bridge. Not bad at all for a low-power community radio station.

The transmitter is only on slightly higher ground than Emley Moor which is the reason why the signal can be recieved in far flung places. It can also be picked up at Trowell.

The pisspoor excuse of a station called TCR FM is receivable as far as Friar Park.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Viking FM seems to get out across a big chunk of Yorkshire.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have picked up Kingdom FM in parts of Edinburgh on 95.2. I have also picked up Kingdom FM on 95.2 in the Falkirk area.
    Central FM on 103.1 has a very good signal in Dunfermline down to Inverkething. Even in parts of Edinburgh you can get some sort of FM signal from Central FM.

Darren
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can hear Kiss from Mendlesham on 106.4 reasonably well on a portable here in Louth, Lincs.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »

You could hear Viking in several areas of South Manchester before ALL FM came along on the same frequency (96.9)

ALL FM is a community station but has a signal that can be received clearly in many parts of High Peak.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember hearing from someone working in Radio Capital Radio London when it was just - used to turn up there transmitter during weekends when Ofcom wasn't listening. It also depends on the weather also.
  • oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    There are lots of factors to think about regarding FM transmisions --- for example here in Wales we have a number of hills !!
    From on top of the Preseli Hills, on the south side, Pirate FM comes thundering in from Cornwall which if you look at the Ofcom coverage map is way outside it's area.
    Travel half a mile down the hills and kiss bye bye to it ....

Regards.
  • danblanchflowerdanblanchflower Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I can hear Kiss from Mendlesham on 106.4 reasonably well on a portable here in Louth, Lincs.

Of course thats because Mendlesham was built for Anglia TV on Channel 11 with a 1,000 foot mast in a flattish area. As a boy I remember seeing it being erected in 1959. Even on TV it could be received in SE Lincs. Dan
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That station used to be clearly audible in east Staffordshire until the band filled up. This was in the very early days though when it was still vibe FM
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I remember hearing from someone working in Radio Capital Radio London when it was just - used to turn up there transmitter during weekends when Ofcom wasn't listening. It also depends on the weather also.

Do you mind rewriting that in English, because I can't make head nor tale of it ?
  • marflittsmarflitts Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    That station used to be clearly audible in east Staffordshire until the band filled up. This was in the very early days though when it was still vibe FM

I can recall getting Vibe FM when driving over the humber bridge :D
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Do you mind rewriting that in English, because I can't make head nor tale of it ?
    Stones, glass houses etc... ;-)
  • mickieboimickieboi Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Kiss 101, transmitted from Mendip, can be caught all the way to the borders of Andover and Winchester given the right conditions. About there is where I can just about get Kiss 100 and Magic 105.4 from London.
  • x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickieboi wrote: »
    Kiss 101, transmitted from Mendip, can be caught all the way to the borders of Andover and Winchester given the right conditions. About there is where I can just about get Kiss 100 and Magic 105.4 from London.

Am I right in thinking that Kiss 101 from Mendip has the strongest signal power of any radio station in the UK? It can be picked up as far east as Swindon, as far west as Swansea and as far north as south Birmingham. That one frequency covers a very wide area.
  • HertzHertz Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Clermont Cairn radio transmitter in County Louth must have one of the best coverage maps in the British Isles.

On a coach trip to Co Wicklow a while back I could receive it well south of Dublin, at least 20 or 30 miles. At the other end it's receivable as far north as the north coast of NI.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »

Does anyone know how far north Viking goes?
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulx23 wrote: »
    Stones, glass houses etc... ;-)

Ha, touché :blush: