Options

The Vuvuzelas are drowning out any sort of atmosphere!

Comments

• Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    AJRevitt wrote: »
    Sorry, but I am in full agreement with the OP. It's got to be the most irritating continuous sound I've heard in ages. Kind of like a massive swarm of bumble bees. Even in the England match it mostly drowned out the sound of the Barmy Army.

If it's an African thing then it bloody well should be banned in games without African teams.

Why? African fans go to games involving non African teams too.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely ITV and BBC know there are many people who hate these horns,cant see it being much of a problem to have an alternative red button commentry without the crowd noise, i would rather have the atmosphere of the crowd but it sounds like a giant fly is flying round my living room for 90 min and its very distracting.
  • Options
    Troy EdwardsTroy Edwards Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That racket is unbearable! They need to be banned, as they are totally ruining the TV coverage. Hopefully a load of them will get chucked on the pitch soon!

They might be ruining your TV coverage, but they aren't ruining mine, in fact I quite like them; they add a unique ambience to the proceedings and the fans evidently love them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tbh i like them :D

it makes it feel like an african world cup, rather than just another game.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They might be ruining your TV coverage, but they aren't ruining mine, in fact I quite like them; they add a unique ambience to the proceedings and the fans evidently love them.

:D here here, i agree 100%, i love the too its great to here crowd noise for 90mins
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some of the posts on this thread exaggerate just a tad.:rolleyes: The noise simply doesn't bother me, I don't find it a problem, and call me old fashioned but I'm actually more engrossed with the games, even France V Uruguay:p.

Fair enough if some find it irritating we all have different tolerance levels, but some of things that are being said about the noise and how people won't be watching anymore, how it's ruined their world cup watching experience etc, is well OTT.
    OnexOne wrote: »
    these awful horn trumpets are taking away football special atmosphere! was through making a brew at the time and didnt realise south korea had scored a 2nd! had the tv volume up but the horn trumpets just drown out any crowd reaction to anything! :(

Now you see it's posts like this that make me just think people are being extra. I watched that game, and the loud cheers that went up when Park scored was easily audible over the trumpets.:rolleyes:

Watched the Argentina V Nigeria game, and again, in answer to someone who said oh you can't hear the oohhs and ahhs of the crowd etc etc...yes you can.

Also as some others have pointed out, I think you'll find fans of all nations with their own colour co-ordinated trumpets.

Same here.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Supporters are banned from taking blow horns into the stadiums in this country in most cases.

The world cup isn't in this country, our rules shouldn't have to apply everywhere else in the world. As much as i hate them they are part of african football and as this is an african world cup they should stay.
    this annoying sound has ruined the whole world cup for me so far.
  • Options
    bling crosbybling crosby Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what do you lot think ?

i hope not , and i have one which my bloody son keeps blowing into it !!!!!!!!!!!:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,283
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    They're not going to ban them.

They will be banned, if ''a single vuvuzela is thrown onto the pitch or if it is used as a weapon, as from the very next match.''
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Isn't there technology which can filter out continuous "noise"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Jesus, you'd be forgiven for thinking they were still colonised!!

It's their world cup, we are mere participants, we should be playing football in their environment, not transplanting some identikit euro atmosphere into South Africa. Would you prefer they sat there in silence like half of Old Trafford? Or maybe chanted banal offensive chants every 30s? If it annoys you that much don't watch it.

We would kick off to high heaven if anyone complained about our chants, our disinterested silence during boring phases of matches if we were hosting the games :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have been available in the UK for ages, it takes massive numbers for them to sound like a mad wasp thats the only difference.
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,251
    Forum Member
    I don't know about other grounds but they certainly won't be at Anfield.
  • Options
    tintin Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrSORRY?!rrrrrrrrrrrrr
    rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    rrrrrIrrrrrCAN'TrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrHEARrrrrrrrr
    rrrrrrrANYTHINGrrrrrrrrrrrrrYOURErrrrrrrrrrr
    rrrrrrrrrSAYING!rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what do you lot think ?

i hope not , and i have one which my bloody son keeps blowing into it !!!!!!!!!!!:p

The fact that you allowed your son to get one makes you first against the wall should the vuzuzela become popular :mad:;)
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    I reckon hardly anyone in the UK have watched the WC so far, you wait till after tonights game, so many will be turned off by the constant drone and mention how it ruins the game.

Oh dear i bet you feel great now tonights match was nothing but 90 minutes of depressed bee noise drowning out any real atmosphere!

URRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Options
    Hibs-kid-2007Hibs-kid-2007 Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    They are annoying, but it's South Africas world cup and it's good to hear different atmospheres, it's how they do it in SA, although with 59 games to go.............. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    I'm sure if all England fans turned up with musical instruments, someone would do the sensible thing and limit the number of instruments allowed.

Why can't they do the same here? We could still have the vuvuzelas, but they wouldn't overwhelm natural crowd noise, just like the England band doesn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    I don't know about other grounds but they certainly won't be at Anfield.

Looking forward to the vuvuzela rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    You're missing the point, in that part of the world, it is the natural crowd noise
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SummerRain wrote: »
    They will be banned, if ''a single vuvuzela is thrown onto the pitch or if it is used as a weapon, as from the very next match.''

Let's club together, I'll fly out tomorrow and chuck one on the pitch, yeah?
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    The fact that you allowed your son to get one makes you first against the wall should the vuzuzela become popular :mad:;)

Sure I read yesterday that Sainsburys :mad: have sold 48,000 of them here already.
    Looking forward to the vuvuzela rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone? :)

Doesn't everything sound the same? How can you make a tune? Except for "Flight of the Bumble Bee" anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they catch on they'll of course be part of our culture so there'll be no grounds for complaint. Hopefully we can make them a memorable feature of the Olympics.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried to watch the England match but it was grating to hear a constant din of horn noise for the entire duration of the match.

It wasn't so much the actual sound of the horns themselves, it was just that all atmosphere was drowned out by a constant noise with little variation in sound that allowed for little else to be heard.
    I felt drained at the end. They may as well have been playing white noise for 90 minutes.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather have them than that awful England band playing the same old shit every ten minutes

You mean The Great Escape theme tune?
    Yes I know what you mean, that does get repetitive and annoying.

But them horn things are just constant and numb all sensation because they're incessant and never seem to stop.