Options

How to turn the box on?

loyalsinceloyalsince Posts: 6,068
Forum Member
Very simple but whenever I hold down Sky button to switch the HD box on the box turns to standby only. To get it onto green (i.e. working) you have to press the on/off button several times about 20 seconds later.

Then the box re-tunes to channel 998 and takes a good 20 seconds again for the picture to load.

Anyway to resolve?

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds like a faulty box
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have a newer HD box then holding the power button for 5 seconds puts it into very low power mode a bit like pulling the plug. This will place the box at ch998 when you power it up again.

The new box has 3 states:

Green LED: Fully on
    Orange LED: Standby, times recording will record, updtaes will be loaded etc....
    Red LED: Low power, no recordings or updates etc... will be done. The box takes time to come on as it has to re-download the schedule etc...

To turn box to green from orange press power button quickly.
    To turn box orange from green press power buttton quickly.
    To turn box red from orange or green hold the power button down for 5 seconds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    If you have a newer HD box then holding the power button for 5 seconds puts it into very low power mode a bit like pulling the plug. This will place the box at ch998 when you power it up again.

The new box has 3 states:

Green LED: Fully on
    Orange LED: Standby, times recording will record, updtaes will be loaded etc....
    Red LED: Low power, no recordings or updates etc... will be done. The box takes time to come on as it has to re-download the schedule etc...

To turn box to green from orange press power button quickly.
    To turn box orange from green press power buttton quickly.
    To turn box red from orange or green hold the power button down for 5 seconds.

So to stop Ch998 coming on each time from red should I leave it on standby (on yellow) all the time?
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loyalsince wrote: »
    So to stop Ch998 coming on each time from red should I leave it on standby (on yellow) all the time?

That will stop it and also the box will come to life a lot quicker as it will not have to reboot and download the EPG listings every time you switch it on. You are also preventing Anytime and software overnight downloads and would stop any overnight recordings you make. However you will save power in "Red mode" so the choice is yours.
  • Options
    A W TYEA W TYE Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Yes yellow is now, what red is on older boxes.

Alan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That will stop it and also the box will come to life a lot quicker as it will not have to reboot and download the EPG listings every time you switch it on. You are also preventing Anytime and software overnight downloads and would stop any overnight recordings you make. However you will save power in "Red mode" so the choice is yours.

Thanks and to Alan as well.

The box humms a bit in yellow- is this normal?

Secondly (forgetting the environmental aspect) how much does it cost to have the box in yellow over red? Are we talking pennies or pounds?
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Secondly (forgetting the environmental aspect) how much does it cost to have the box in yellow over red? Are we talking pennies or pounds?

It is normal for the fan to continue running for some time after switching off to standby depending on room temp and also the hum could be Anytime downloading to the hard disk but neither are obtrusive on my box only being audible if my ear is next to the box.
  • Options
    webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's an earlier thread that details how much it costs to leave it on standby:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1249362
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also in OFF mode (red) it doesn't callback!
  • Options
    battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just switch auto standby on via the menu and leave the box to do it's own thing. Never had any problems here on any of my boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    battlezone wrote: »
    Just switch auto standby on via the menu and leave the box to do it's own thing. Never had any problems here on any of my boxes.

So if I said to do this from lets say midnight to 7am the box will go to red for that time and at seven will light up as yellow again?
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if I said to do this from lets say midnight to 7am the box will go to red for that time and at seven will light up as yellow again?

When the box is red, nothing works as the only thing on is the Red LED, Auto Standby only triggers if the box is left on (Green).

IMO the Red setting is great if you want to unplug the box from the mains as you know that 99.99% of the box is already powered off and your not going to crash the Hard Drive. During normal use orange is the correct setting to use when your not viewing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    When the box is red, nothing works as the only thing on is the Red LED, Auto Standby only triggers if the box is left on (Green).

I think the sooner people with boxes that have this new eco :yawn: feature realise that red is OFF the better.

IMO I leave all of my boxes to do what they like (auto standby) whenever they want to. For the sake of about 2p per year in electricity savings it's not worth the hassle.

Imagine if you go on holiday and halfway to the airport you realise you've put the box into 'off' mode :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

it's pounds and it's actually 18% of my total electricity bill.. i got one of those electrical monitors’ and my original sky hd box used over 50watts on standby and 80 when in use.

i turn it off at the mains and have done for over a year with no problems. £40 in my pocket is better then the electrical company is fine with me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Why o why do we have such stupid eco feature in sky box.

The way things are going, we may as well shut down all power stations overnight and wait two weeks for them to reach peak efficency again. I would rather my sky box use some of that wasted overnight energy that the power companies produce than it be throw down the drain. Not only that, my sky box wont miss any recordings and spoil my viewing pleasure.

Damn eco rubbish. Its a waste of money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why o why do we have such stupid eco feature in sky box.

Damn eco rubbish. Its a waste of money.

Hear! Hear! :D:D