Options

On The Buses Television Series And Film Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    tfisher2010tfisher2010 Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Anna was a stripper at the Panama club as well prior to TV work, and rode an elephant at Bertram Mills circus in the holidays!

And by coincidence, Im the author of that book mentioned a few pages back, I 'Ate You Butler - The Making of On the Buses! Nice to spot it being mentioned :)
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mum in the last few episodes was called Ethel but in tonight's episode she was called Mabel. Confused
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote:
    .......in tonight's episode....

Another good edition of On The Buses this evening (episode titled "Friends In High Places") in which The Late Bob Todd made an appearance.

For anyone who missed this evening's On The Buses it is on again on ITV 3 tomorrow (29.11.2011) from 2.10 am.
  • Options
    ubermanuberman Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    berger45 wrote: »
    I have always wondered what happened to Pat Ashton who played Nora, anyone know?

Think she's still alive but not done anything since 1984, she was in The Gaffer, Benny Hill, Metal Mickey and loads more, there's a list of everything she's been in on the On The Buses Fanclub website (right hand column):
    http://www.onthebusesfanclub.com/id71.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pats last gig was in Trippers Day, written by Brian Cooke of George and Mildred fame, alas I can;t find anything on her :(
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the final OTB episode (Gardening Time) last night and i thought it was the worst of the lot.
  • Options
    Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish ITV 3 would show the Blakey follow up Don't Drink The Water as make a change to the constant On The Buses re-runs,like i wish the BBC would show Going Straight instead of Porriage on a constant loop
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dar W wrote: »
    I wish ITV 3 would show the Blakey follow up Don't Drink The Water as make a change to the constant On The Buses re-runs,like i wish the BBC would show Going Straight instead of Porriage on a constant loop

I vaguely remember Don't Drink The Water, but it only seemed to run for one series. I wonder if the series still exists.
  • Options
    porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

While Going Straight is not nearly as good as Porridge , DDTW is complete drivel.

Buy the OTB series 7 dvd .
    It has the first episode of DDTW as a bonus feature.

I doubt you'll want to see any others after watching that one.

How it got to a second series is bizarre as it was shit even by mid 70's ITV standards

And for Tfisher:

What is your next project Tex?

I thought the mention of a 4th OTB film on the book jacket was a bit misleading considering your conclusions:)

I must admit Tex that I'd love to see both your books reprinted in new large format and still hardcover filled to the brim with pages of glossy colour stills in a similar way to the books on Some Mothers and other BBC shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can also recommend the OTB box set for the few interesting shorts of the cast opening a housing estate in Essex!

Hi Porkpie! Well Id been toying with an Allo Allo companion, but following the sad loss of Mr Croft that may need a rethink and I've nothing on the cards just yet, although Id still like to plan to get to work on that one soon. And reprints may be pending, but not for a while.. the Man About the House one I want to totally revise with Richard O'Sullivan's input, and the On the Buses one may at some point be up for a glossy papercased version such as the Are You Being Served 25 years book.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I was watching the episode titled 'The Allowance' and was surprised to see a sign post to Epsom on a roundabout. The scene was filmed on the A24 at Morden outside Morden Park Hall!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The end credits of series seven were filmed up Morden high street! most of the final series was done around south london after lwt moved studios from wembley to south bank.
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would Anna be the last OTB regular cast member still with us ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would Anna be the last OTB regular cast member still with us ?

I think Stephen Lewis is still around too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi Porkpie! Well Id been toying with an Allo Allo companion, but following the sad loss of Mr Croft that may need a rethink and I've nothing on the cards just yet, although Id still like to plan to get to work on that one soon. And reprints may be pending, but not for a while.. the Man About the House one I want to totally revise with Richard O'Sullivan's input,.
    Can you shed any light on the reason Richard O'Sullivan went to a nursing home so long ago.
    It was sad hearing about it and the word was that he was not really interested in talking about his work.

Was he too ill?
    Is he still there?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello! New to this thread (only just seen it)
    My oh loves On the Buses.
    I loved it when I was a kid :D
    Last year, we went to Wales and visited a few places, that were used in the film.

My OH has all the episodes and films on DVD

Agreeing with the first poster, Anna/Olive had a lovely figure. I hated how horrible they all were to poor Olive!
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,178
    Forum Member

They could also show 'The Rag Trade' (LWT series) which starred Anna Karen reprising her role as Olive (not sure if it ran along side OTB or after it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could also show 'The Rag Trade' (LWT series) which starred Anna Karen reprising her role as Olive (not sure if it ran along side OTB or after it)

It was after OTB

2 series of the LWT show are out on dvd.
    The Xmas episode is included on this dvd collection as is the OTB Xmas show that was made in B&W because of industrial action

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ITV-Christmas-Comedy-DVD-James/dp/B000I8OP7I/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1322858375&sr=1-1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    porkpie wrote: »
    Can you shed any light on the reason Richard O'Sullivan went to a nursing home so long ago.
    It was sad hearing about it and the word was that he was not really interested in talking about his work.

Was he too ill?
    Is he still there?

Richard O'Sullivan is a resident at Brinsworth House, a nursing/residential home run by the Entertainment Artistes Benevolent Fund. He moved into the home after suffering a severe stroke in 2003. By all accounts, he is in otherwise good health. While he will often respond to autograph requests (preferably via his agent and not direct to the home), he has in the past declined to talk about his career.

His last public appearance was in 2006 when he did some audio commentary for the DVD release of 'Carry On Teacher'.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double episodes next week from 4.40 pm. ITV3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DemonDan wrote: »
    Richard O'Sullivan is a resident at Brinsworth House, a nursing/residential home run by the Entertainment Artistes Benevolent Fund. He moved into the home after suffering a severe stroke in 2003. By all accounts, he is in otherwise good health. While he will often respond to autograph requests (preferably via his agent and not direct to the home), he has in the past declined to talk about his career.

His last public appearance was in 2006 when he did some audio commentary for the DVD release of 'Carry On Teacher'.

I have the US releases of the early Carry On films but I shall have to get the more recent UK ones as they have commentaries , some from people who have since died like Dilys Laye.

Maybe the memory cheats but I thought ROS had moved into a nursing home long before 2003.

I can't recall which programme it was but last time I saw him must have been in the 90's and it was in the audience of some show that was celebrating either tv comedy or the 70's or something like that.
    He was accompanied by Paula Wilcox but I was shocked at how he looked.
    Its strange how we seem to keep thse stars in a time bubble where they are eternally young.
    My first glimpse of Paula Wilcox since that show was in the recent Sky series Mount Pleasant and it was hard getting my head round the fact that this was Chrissy from MATH.
    But she does not look bad considering that was 38 years ago.:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    porkpie wrote: »
    Maybe the memory cheats but I thought ROS had moved into a nursing home long before 2003.

Prior to moving into Brinsworth, Richard had spent some time in a residential home for treatment for alcoholism and depression. Maybe that's what you were thinking of. Up until 2001, however, he was still living in London with his son.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DemonDan wrote: »

This was Richard OSullivan a few weeks ago with a copy of my Man About the House book.. http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/374657_263987990313515_100431526669163_777946_601877803_n.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Fremantle have owned the Thames archive for years.
    They've done a pretty decent job of it with classic Thames shows still being made available for broadcast and they have a contract with Network dvd that ensures the Thames archive is also plundered for dvd releases and recently we've had things like Whodunnit? aswell as the well known shows like George and Mildred and Callan.

Fremantle have certainly done a better job thanthat other Aussie outfit Southern Star who took over the archives of Southern tv and kept most of it hidden away for 20+ years.

On the Australian DVD release of Man About The House - Series Two, there's commentaries by Sally Thomsett and Brian Murphy on two episodes.