Should i stay or should i go, what is this FTTC status: RFS date set : 01/12/2011

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
Forum Member
I was going to go with O2 on my BT line but should i hold out.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NSASH

FTTC status: RFS date set : 01/12/2011

Should it not be available already or is this the date they started the work.
What is it they have to do and roughly how long does it take.I called BT but just got told to go to Infinity website and put in phone number etc

This is what i got:

Your broadband checker results

Broadband option Broadband speed range When you can get it Action BT Total Broadband icon_tooltip.gif BT Total BroadbandYou can get our fast and reliable broadband with speeds of up to 20Mb. The speed prediction we have provided is an estimate, however download speeds can vary and the actual download speed will fall between a range. This is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your estimated speed quoted. Between 3.0Mb and 7.0Mb
(Estimated speed: 4.5Mb) Now
Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband. Register your interest and we'll let you know if this changes.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    dont no why it says your no getting bt infinity but fttc means that they are going to be putting fibre optic down in your area on this set date
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The RFS date is BT's best guess as to when it should be in service. Though the date may not be 100% accurate so there is a chance the work has not been completed yet.

It does after all involve laying new fibre optic cables to new roadside cabinets and kitting out these cabinets and the exchange with all the necessary gubbins to make Infinity work. One sign that it is being installed is loads of Openreach vans running around dumping big green cabinets off at the side of the road.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The RFS date is BT's best guess as to when it should be in service. Though the date may not be 100% accurate so there is a chance the work has not been completed yet.

It does after all involve laying new fibre optic cables to new roadside cabinets and kitting out these cabinets and the exchange with all the necessary gubbins to make Infinity work. One sign that it is being installed is loads of Openreach vans running around dumping big green cabinets off at the side of the road.

Cool thanks for the info as i didnt know what they had to do.

Are other companies going to be able to sell Infinity or is BT keeping it for years to come.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are other companies going to be able to sell Infinity or is BT keeping it for years to come.
    I think some already are (TalkTalk for one), but they are probably dependent upon the BT FTTC infrastructure being in place first for any given location.

Also, where BT are concerned, it is not just a matter of the exchange being set up for FTTC, each individual cabinet has to be installed and wired before a particular district within an exchange area can become active. It could be quite a while before all of Aberdeen Ashgrove is served, even when the exchange itself is operational.
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    I think some already are (TalkTalk for one), but they are probably dependent upon the BT FTTC infrastructure being in place first for any given location.

Also, where BT are concerned, it is not just a matter of the exchange being set up for FTTC, each individual cabinet has to be installed and wired before a particular district within an exchange area can become active. It could be quite a while before all of Aberdeen Ashgrove is served, even when the exchange itself is operational.

BT says Ashgrove

Serves (approx): 14,158 residential premises 279 non-residential premises.

, dont know if that helps to work it out.

Are we talkin years or months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we talkin years or months.
    Who knows? Only BT.
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    Who knows? Only BT.

You think BT would be a bit more giving on the details, like estimated time you would be connected etc, they must have a schedule worked out for the works, its rather disapointing they act like this.

Thanks for the info
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You think BT would be a bit more giving on the details, like estimated time you would be connected etc, they must have a schedule worked out for the works
    I have no idea whether they would or not.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if the exchange is enabled, your cabinet may not be. BT don't enable all cabinets in an exchange area for FTTC, just the more economically feasible ones and no blocked ducts etc.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    BT have updated the date for Aberdeen Ashgrove to the 31st of March. Sam Knows is incorrect.
    Aberdeen Denburn has been moved to 30th of June. Hope that helps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    i posted recently, i have been in touch with BT regarding phase 6 rollout, yours is probably phase 6, as most DEC 11 completion dates are.

i was informed by a guy fairly high up in BT, that they are roughly a quarter behind schedule.

and that my exchange which was due DEC 11, should be taking orders by the end of march.

yours will probably be similar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    CHECK this now.. its been updated i think.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Yours is showing as March as well.

alhough, from what i hear, it can take a couple of months after the due date for people to get online.

I will be happy if im connected by May.
  • eyponeypon Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Yeah ashgrove and denburn are being done BT where blowing fibre down the street few weeks back.
    Forum Member
    eypon wrote: »
    Yeah ashgrove and denburn are being done BT where blowing fibre down the street few weeks back.

So thats why the, bus was diverted.
    Forum Member
    You think BT would be a bit more giving on the details, like estimated time you would be connected etc, they must have a schedule worked out for the works, its rather disapointing they act like this.

Thanks for the info

Should have read

You would think BT would be a bit more giving on the details, like estimated time you would be connected etc, they must have a schedule worked out for the works, its rather disapointing they act like this.

Thanks for the info[/quote]
    Forum Member
    BT have updated the date for Aberdeen Ashgrove to the 31st of March. Sam Knows is incorrect.
    Aberdeen Denburn has been moved to 30th of June. Hope that helps.

I should have been given this info from BT, they are bad at giving you details.

Thanks Lord Lucan, nice to see you back
    Forum Member
    Moradin wrote: »
    CHECK this now.. its been updated i think.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Yours is showing as March as well.

alhough, from what i hear, it can take a couple of months after the due date for people to get online.

I will be happy if im connected by May.

Cool thanks.

Why should i have to ask the friendly folks of D S F for info and not get it from bt.

bt are f crap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    You would think BT would be a bit more giving on the details, like estimated time you would be connected etc, they must have a schedule worked out for the works, its rather disapointing they act like this.
    Openreach will have but that does not mean that BT Retail do.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Was just googling what rfs date set meant & found this thread. I remember checking last year & it said that the fae was in March this year but now it has a date of 30th June. There's been a lot of Openreach engineers around lately at the green cabinet on my street so I'm hoping this is the real date. My Sky contract is up in May so I hope it's just a monthly rolling contract thereafter so I can jump across as soon as its available.
  • lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you see a BTOR guy in a cabinet, why not ask him?

We've had infinity for a couple of Months even though Samknows says it won't be available until December 2012.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    The cabinets and associated wiring are not in place yet, some street have the cabinets though. The Ashgrove exchange is Fibre live. Had this confirmed by BT!

I've seen availability dates for June 30th for the Moir Green area so they are rolling it out just a bit behind. The date Sam Knows has should be seen as exchange go live date not street really :)