Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, The World's End

Comments

• Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing this :)
  • monkeypuzzlermonkeypuzzler Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed it, very funny and enjoyed the performances - Nick Frost in particular did a great job. Had the pleasure of watching it in the cinema which was used in the film for exterior of pub 8!
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw this. Was okay - not burst out hilarious or anything out of the ordinary, but an acceptable conclusion (if you can call it that) to the Cornetto trilogy. Think it lost steam once the robot / alien thingies became the main focus, as it largely resembled too many a Doctor Who episode. I quite enjoyed the interplay between the 'five musketeers', and the gang's general intolerance for Pegg's King character. Quite why they're all willing to join in this second attempt at 'the mile' is a bit of a mystery.

Edgar Wright does well to give the film the Hollywood look and the effects, fight choreography and sense of otherworldly-ness are all decent enough. All the key players handle their roles well and Pegg and Frost are old hands at this and have a natural interplay with one another. Bond co-stars Pierce Brosnan and Rosamund Pike reunite as supporting players too.

Just as I found my interest waning at the hour 15 min mark, it was actually Pegg's inane quest (at the expense of sanity) to accomplish his fabled mission, that kept me going. There's a bit off pathos at the end and a surprising denouement, which is quite funny. Couple of movie references scattered here and there (not Paul level, thankfully).

If you're of a certain age, there's some nostalgia along the way and the largely 90s soundtrack may have you rifling through your music collection when you get home.

Overall, a decent Friday night flick best enjoyed with a pint or two, in the cinema. It'll certainly have you gasping for a few (particularly in this weather) when you leave.

Rating: 3/5. I'll have a pint of Carling please...
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I was a bit disappointed as I expected it to be a lot better than it actually was.It starts slowly but it is funny in parts.I think it loses something by not having dynamic between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost characters as there are only bits of that!

I would give it 3.5 out of 5 and its easily the weakest out of the trilogy!
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I'm still mystified as to why this is regarded as a trilogy.

Shaun of the Dead was a parody of a zombie flick. I couldn't sit through all of it because it just wasn't funny. I did see all of Hot Fuzz but I never connected it with Shaun of the Dead. Why should I have done? Do they use the same jokes or something? Then this most recent film seems to be about middle age and nostalgia. What has that to do with the previous two films?:confused:
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw it today. I thought it was OK but not great. Not sure what I expected though. I loved Simon Pegg's acting in it though - very different to what I've seen him do before.
  • halstationhalstation Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this last night. Enjoyable but not laugh out loud funny. It would seem more fun if you'd had a couple of drinks beforehand. What I couldn't understand was that they showed the trailer just before the film. I thought I'd walked into the wrong screen.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still mystified as to why this is regarded as a trilogy.

Shaun of the Dead was a parody of a zombie flick. I couldn't sit through all of it because it just wasn't funny. I did see all of Hot Fuzz but I never connected it with Shaun of the Dead. Why should I have done? Do they use the same jokes or something? Then this most recent film seems to be about middle age and nostalgia. What has that to do with the previous two films?:confused:

Plot wise nothing but all three have the same director and the same recurring actors as well (like the Carry On series). Outside of Pegg and Forst, Martin Freeman, Bill Nighly and Rafe Spall have appeared in all three, with Joe Cornish, Patricia Franklin, Robert Popper, Reece Shearsmith, Michael Smiley, Alice Lowe, Paddy Considine and David Bradley having all appeared in two as well.

All three also have recurring scenes and jokes - like Pegg failing to jump over a fence for example - and all feature Cornetto's (hence the name of the trilogy) as well.

Speaking of which, did anyone actually buy a Cornetto in this one? I know there was the empty wrapper at the end but I can't remember any shop scene or eating ofs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Really didn't like this film. I hated Simon Peggs character. So annoying!!
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is basically Shaun with robots instead of zombies. I enjoyed this film but the ending was weak. Its like they ran out of ideas & it just petered out.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just on my way back from seeing it. I actually think it picked up when the blanks properly appeared. Certainly not laugh out loud funny, but, IMO, a very well written script that actually got quite deep in places.

Really enjoyed it overall and loved the soundtrack

Saw it in a cinema that's only £4 quid a seat as well - any day, any showing. Certainly be going back there again
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Realy could'nt take to Pegg ag all in this film. He appears to have morphed into Richard E Grant.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Realy could'nt take to Pegg ag all in this film. He appears to have morphed into Richard E Grant.

There are far worse people to morph into but given Pegg's terminal lack of talent, I suspect he's really nothing like Richard E Grant.:D
  • HissyMissyHissyMissy Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Saw it this afternoon. Very enjoyable, although it does take a very left turn in the last few minutes. The best performances came from Nick Frost and Paddy Considine. But overall a very well spent 2 hours (or therabouts!)

Loved the message from Pegg/Frost/Wright at the beginning. I think it was specially made for the Picturehouse chain of cinemas

Cheers boys!
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The World's End

Now that the Cornetto trilogy has concluded, it can safely be said that all three films are superb. Following up two classics like Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuss was going to be a hard thing to achieve, but they managed it.

The same style and quick humour of the previous movies are here, Edgar Wright's direction as impressive as ever, and the fight scenes were really well choreographed and shot, with Wright clearly honing his fighting skills on Scott Pilgrim.

The dialogue was sparky and hilarious as ever, with the brilliant circular script and great one-liners, just as good as it's predecessors. The ending may be a bit of a let down, but only because of the wonderful stuff that has come before it, and it's a hard sort of film to conclude anyway.

I hope it's as rewatchable as the others, I suspect it might be, and it's the funniest, and one of the best films of the year. And it's probably got line of the year wrapped up too, if you've seen it, you'll probably know what it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I just got back from watching it and found it quite underwhelming if I'm honest. I love Shaun and Hot Fuzz but this one just wasnt anywhere near as funny, I think I only laughed around 4 times throughout the entire film, the tone was more serious than the other two and it just seemed "off". It picked up towards the end as the humour came more in line with what I'd expected from Shaun and Fuzz, but the first half of the film was kinda boring and repetitive. I thought the trailer made if look rubbish, unfortunately it was pretty representative of the overall film (imo).

5/10
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt this was abit of a letdown - most of the humour comes from the absurb action scenes, which are good. But the actual dialog is surprising flat, and the final 20 minutes are pretty terrible to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I was really underwhelmed. I only laughed out loud a few times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I always thought of them as been the cornetto trilogy as they were set in England and always had cornetto jokes in them, had a certain feel and atmosphere about them.

Exactly what Edgar said on the Kermode/Mayo film show on Friday.
  • Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really surprised by the average reviews and comments for this movie.
    I watched it this morning and absolutely loved it.
    I was laughing throughout and so were others in the cinema. I love Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead and hoped this was going to be as good. For me the 1st two movies were the warm up for this one.
    I didn't expect it to be this good, from the great music being played from the early 90s to the characters and the situations.
    I'm going to see it again next week.

Superb 10/10.
  • NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While it's certainly not a bad film by any means, I'm another that sees this as the weakest of the three, by some margin. I can't quite put my finger on why, either - as someone else said, the tone was slightly off on this. It didn't feel as sharp or funny, while the plotting seemed nowhere near as taut as the predecessors. I also had the Dr Who feeling (not a good thing), and it did feel too similar to Shaun, without the same heart or freshness. I found the fight scenes the weakest part of the film - pretty dull and repetitive (with one exception which had a good running gag).

Plusses - Rosamund Pike was terrific, the dynamic between the five was good, and there were a few chuckles-out-loud (if not full laughs). It is, thankfully, considerably better than the very bland Paul, but my essential Wright / Pegg canon would be Shaun, Hot Fuzz and Spaced, rather than World's End though.

Perhaps most depressing, I find myself thinking "yes, probably time to put it all to bed now". Before today, that would have been unthinkable.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »

I actually thought he'd morphed into Ricky Gervais, there seemed to be so many Gervaisisms in King.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to the cinema today to see The World's End (£2.95 - bargain!) :D Worth pointing out that I had been looking forward to this film basically since Hot Fuzz was released, so maybe I had over-egged it in my head..

I've seen some 'A+++' reviews for this film but sadly I don't agree with them.

It was good, but in a very lukewarm way. I much preferred Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. There were some laugh out loud moments and it was generally amusing, but not as groundbreaking as the other two in the trilogy.

The interesting/odd thing was I seemed to be the only one in a half-full cinema who was laughing. Most people seemed less amused than me.

The ending was unexpected/confusing and the most disappointing bit. It all felt quite abrupt and forced.

Possible Spoilers:
    Why did he ask for 5 waters at the end? What happened? :confused: It felt like there was a joke there but I didn't get it. Also not enough mention of the Cornetto! :D

Never the less it was a moderately good film and will be making it's way into my permanent collection :)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Shaun of the Dead was poor and I couldn't even be bothered to watch Hot Fuzz to the end, so I'll happily give this one a miss.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    The interesting/odd thing was I seemed to be the only one in a half-full cinema who was laughing.

I hate that. I saw Notting Hill in the Kensington Odeon, only a mile or two from the film's setting, and it was like a library in there. It was actually full, but completely dead.

It was the same with The Internship, although that was a free screening. Capacity crowd, plenty of jokes (even though the film is rubbish) and almost no one laughing. Haven't seen The World's End yet and a bit concerned that it will get the silent treatment from the locals, which will ruin the atmosphere.