Options

Cockroaches

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
Forum Member
✭✭
OK I know this is going to sound disgusting and I apologise in advance...

I live in a block of flats and over the summer we noticed a couple of tiny beetle-like insects crawling around on the bathroom floor. It was hot, we had the windows open at all times (we're on the 5th floor) and thought not a lot of it.

Over time the little beetles have grown into horrendous 1cm long cockroaches (they are definitely cockroaches. Not the red armour-plated ones you see in Spain/Canaries/USA but smaller dark grey coloured ones) with long waggling antennae and they are disgusting.

I have determined that they are coming out of tiny crack at the top of the oven which is really inaccessible without pulling the whole oven out of the fitted kitchen. 3 or 4 will come scurrying out when we're cooking a roast, for example. Early evening is the worst time and I think they might be under the fridge as well (again, fully fitted kitchen).

I've tried Raid, I bleach all the countertops and the oven and fridge down every morning and evening and they're still not going. I was wondering if anyone here had any tips before I resort to Rentokil (going to cost a fortune for them which we simply don't have at the moment???)

Any old wives remedies or advice welcome, thanks!!!

Comments

• Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they are cockroaches the whole block will have them.. you will not be able to just get rid of them from yout flat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    If they are cockroaches the whole block will have them.. you will not be able to just get rid of them from yout flat.

Exactly, and this is another reason why I'm reluctant to call in pest controllers when they might just come back in from next door or the extractor fans. I've lived here for months and never spoken to any of the neighbours, so not sure what to do... bit much to knock on the door and say "Hi! I've got cockroaches! Have you?" :D
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »

Yes the residents association (or whatever the flats have) needs to get together and handle this.
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cockroaches are mainly nocturnal so more activity when its dark.
    We use glue traps intended for mice.
    They work very well
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    johnny-br wrote: »
    OK I know this is going to sound disgusting and I apologise in advance...

I live in a block of flats and over the summer we noticed a couple of tiny beetle-like insects crawling around on the bathroom floor. It was hot, we had the windows open at all times (we're on the 5th floor) and thought not a lot of it.

Over time the little beetles have grown into horrendous 1cm long cockroaches (they are definitely cockroaches. Not the red armour-plated ones you see in Spain/Canaries/USA but smaller dark grey coloured ones) with long waggling antennae and they are disgusting.

I have determined that they are coming out of tiny crack at the top of the oven which is really inaccessible without pulling the whole oven out of the fitted kitchen. 3 or 4 will come scurrying out when we're cooking a roast, for example. Early evening is the worst time and I think they might be under the fridge as well (again, fully fitted kitchen).

I've tried Raid, I bleach all the countertops and the oven and fridge down every morning and evening and they're still not going. I was wondering if anyone here had any tips before I resort to Rentokil (going to cost a fortune for them which we simply don't have at the moment???)

Any old wives remedies or advice welcome, thanks!!!

Is it a council block?? If so advise them its a communal problem & you have seen them in hallways.
    Many local authorities will treat that & obviously the ones that have entered your property from communal problem
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Is this about the man who used to play ken Barlow until he got suspended?
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While you're waiting for the Council (it is a Council property, right ?!) to take action, have you tried glue traps (eBay is your friend) - hopefully your beasties haven't gained the "can unstick themselves from these traps" ability like wot we had here :( - though I found the red Raid Ant+Cockroach killer worked wonders.

(guess you've got the ones who like to crawl up walls, then jump into the air and start flying, to look forward to :eek: )
  • Options
    lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago I worked in a department store in Newcastle under Lyme and next door was a very old pub which was being pulled down.
    In it were loads of cockroaches who made their way into the store.
    I remember one day looking down and seeing a big lump of fluff or so I thought on my shoe, I bent down to brush it off and it moved off, it was a cockroach,.
    I told my husband that night and he said that the only thing that cockroachs can not get through is damp proof fluid.
    Not sure where you can buy it from but it is well worth a try to find it.
    Good Luck
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tips - will look into buying some glue traps today and have a google of damp proof fluid!

It's an ex-council block so is privately rented but I'll talk to the landlord and see if he does anything about it (not holding my breath, he's not the most helpful bloke in the world!)

Cheers all. zwixxxx thanks for the nightmares! not sure will be able to handle it if they grow wings!!! :D
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Is this about the man who used to play ken Barlow until he got suspended?
    Probably not. However, the OP should endeavour to obtain the services of Beethro Budkin :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beethro#Gameplay
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tips - will look into buying some glue traps today and have a google of damp proof fluid!

Please buy glue traps specifically for cockroaches not for mice. While you don't seem to have mice glue traps for mice are barbaric things and by buying the device you are giving support to the manufacturing of such devices. The glue traps for cockroaches work at least as well - that is what they are designed for.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers all. zwixxxx thanks for the nightmares! not sure will be able to handle it if they grow wings!!! :D
    first time I had one it freaked me the freak out. Saw beasty climbing the wall, was waiting for it to get into a squishable position, all set with a rolled up newspaper, then suddenly it stops, talkes a moment's pause, then ... PING .:eek:. it jumps, spreads its wings and flies away - I felt like I was David Dukovney and the movie Evolution was taking place right in my flat. :D+:(

Whilst you're eBay glue traps you might like to check out the ~the size of a 10p poison things (example) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COCKROACH-GEL-BUSTER-BUTTONS-BAIT-STATION-KILLER-RAPID-x5-/160822848683?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV&hash=item2571c9ecab and maybe also those rolls of flypaper (example) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-PACK-FLY-INSECT-INSECTS-BUGS-WASP-POISON-FREE-STICKY-PAPERS-TRAPS-CATCHERS-/181200996219?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV&hash=item2a306bc77b
    - work great for midges and are a temporary trap for fly cockroaches
    I saw one land and get stuck, I went away to do a "victory dance" only to return and find the trap empty :eek:. But the last time one was flynig around the lightbulb, rather than spray the room with Raid I "went fishing" with an unrolled trap dangling on a stick. Held the trap by the light in the beasties flightpath, in a short time the beasty landed and got stuck, then I took my prize to the kitchen and sprayed the fkr with Raid and killed it dead dead dead. :woot:
    Are you CERTAIN Raid doesn't work because I sprayed my kitchen window sill and soon saw crawlies go from crawling to dying in a short time. So I sprayed the floor area and a few days later didn't see anymore.

Of course other factors might have played a part - weather, other flats were more appetising(?), different species to the ones you're suffering from. Guess only thing guaranteed to work is to make sure each room has a squishing implement available cos there's nothing more frustrating to see an enemy just begging to be squashed but when you look around for something to do the deed with all you've got is the remote control or your hand (ick)

Good luck and good hunting. :cool:

if you get mice
    I bought those teethy-snappy-neck onces, worked pefectly quite a few times until that time, late at night, when I heard a snap coming from the kitchen, "yes" I thought, another one bits the dust, but then I heard .... a little squeak and a scrapping sound .. the sound of a trap being dragged slowly across the floor. Turned out it had caught its foot in the trap and was still very much alive. Luckily (for me) I've blotted from memory how I dealt with the situation. I'd go the live traps if this place got 'em. :)